PDA

View Full Version : When first keeping pairs of RC dwarves...

Gillzy
07-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Is it wise to be available to watch them the majority of the day?

I'm planning on getting a new ham when I move, might get a pair depending on the situation. But I'd be starting working 9-5 mon-fri and don't want to risk them getting hurt by my non-presence during the day.

Of course this depends on whether or not they are likely to fight during the day or is it more common at night?

Also, I was planning on getting another ZooZone2, would this size of cage be too much of a shock for a pair of dwarves - leading to territory problems?

Would it be too big for a single RC?

Another idea I had, was should the two dwarves fight, if I had piece of wood cut to the shape of the inside of the ZZ2, would this be a possible way of separating them instead of two separate cages (because they'd obv still be close and be able to smell each other, but I wasn't sure if it would be similar to having two barred cages beside each other)? I'd like to avoid having a spare ZZ2, as that'll just tempt me! Haha!

Chances are getting a pair will probably not be feasible just because of the worry of fighting. But I thought I'd run past some ideas...

Ham Ham Hamstery
07-23-2011, 07:03 AM
for a single RC kinda too big try and buy a RC pair that already lives together and yes it can be split like that

LocoRocoPanda
07-23-2011, 07:39 AM
When I get my RC pair I'm planning on a ZZ2 mainly because I feel like a ZZ1 would end up being cramped as I'm planning on getting 8inch wheels for them. =3 You could split a ZZ2 like that but it may end up being a bit cramped.

A single RC in a ZZ2 would be great though, I think that as long as there's plenty of toys they wouldn't be too freaked out. I'm emailing an old friend of mine who keeps RCs and WWs a lot and they said a ZZ2 would be fine. It's very complex though, isn't it?

Christmas_hamster
07-23-2011, 07:57 AM
A zoozone2 would make a great cage for a pair or a single ham. If you aren't able to separate if they do fight then you're better off with just getting a single RC. The ham will love the room once they settle in.

Gillzy
07-23-2011, 08:27 AM
I guess... if I was really keen (and my new flat allows it), I could buy another ZZ2 if the pair fought. Really depends on if I get my own flat then. I'd just feel so guilty if I had one dwarf in a ZZ2 and then the other in a ZZ1 sized cage. I mean, I'd have the tiny cages I had combined for Sen's kingdom before I got her ZZ2. So one dwarf could go in that until the new ZZ came.

Hmm... That's a lot of space taken up with 3 ZZ2's though!!

Can we think of ways to stack them? If I were able to get a three level book case with no back each could have a level on there... It'd need to be pretty big.

Heck, I don't even know if I'll have room for even just one more ZZ2 yet! The flat WILL have room for Sen's ZZ2, coz I won't move into it if it doesn't! It all very much depends if I will be sharing a flat (and then hams would need to be in my own room) or if I had a single bed flat to myself. Will need to see what's on the market lol. This is all very hypothetical. Lol.

I'll need to do some math and see how long megazorb would last. With 3 ZZ2s I'd pretty much go through a bag a month. :/ (Although that's only £30 which isn't too bad I guess) But I'd probably want 2 bags at a time, and that means I'll need to find space to store two massive sacks! Haha.

Oh don't we just love doing the math of what's needed time/space/money wise for our hams.

What do we think of my being at work all day, with any risks of fighting? Do they fight in the day time? Or are they too busy snoozing?

LocoRocoPanda
07-23-2011, 08:32 AM
My dwarves slept in the day . :) I doubt they'd be awake to fight.

All this new flat talk is very exciting though!!! XD

Gillzy
07-23-2011, 09:09 AM
You're telling me! I'm getting excited about all the new stuff I need to buy (or get my parents to buy me). Including, of course, possible new hamhams!

I'm thinking I may want to make this flat as girly as I possibly can, since it'll be the last time I live alone until the OH moves up. I just created a list of my flat requirements and wants. And yesterday I did lots of calculations to figure out (depending on the monthly price of the flat and what tax band I'd be in) how much spending money I'll have left after bills and what not. Not a lot (but more than I get now!). Although I'll be living on my own, which may mean I spend less - who knows!

Womblehands
07-23-2011, 09:13 AM
Gosh it's a scary yet exciting time for you.. I see lots of pink showing itself..
You sound very organised..Can Pickle come to stay he's being a grumpy bear..:)

LocoRocoPanda
07-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Ha isn't it all very complicated?

I'd make it a good representation of you, if that means making it as girly as it can be then so be it!! :D Sen will be super excited too, lots of new places to explore!!

Gillzy
07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Oh thanks for reminding me. I'll need to check how hamster proof the flat is too! I'd love to be able to just let Sen run around the living room!! :D

I might just turn it into a hamstertopia! Have the place set up just to allow LOTS of exploring and safe access to fun places!

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is curious Sen NOT sleeping through the 2 and a half hour journey to the new flat. And trying to fit the ZZ2 in the car for travelling :/ (Won't be putting Sen in it though. She'll be in her yellow cage on my lap).

fluffymunchkins
07-23-2011, 03:31 PM
I shouldn't think it would be a problem to leave a new pair of dwarfs alone when you first have them. As they are nocturnal, any problems should be able to be spotted in the evenings. Its unusual for hamster that are together since birth to fight suddenly, I would think in most cases there would be a build up towards an outbreak.

I've found it quite difficult to find shelving units big enough for the ZZ2 (online at Bigdug has industrial ones, but they aren't very attractive)
In the end I had to settle for a shelving unit big enough for cages up to 90cm long.