PDA

View Full Version : Website Building

Holly
08-28-2007, 11:44 AM
As many of you know Will and I are hoping for our first litter very soon (why does that sound so funny - you know what I mean :wink: ) and we've decided we'd really like to try to make our own hamster website.

It will need to be fairly simple (no forum for example!) because we really haven't a clue, so far, how to do it :oops:

I'd like to include biographies and photos of our hamsters, a section on our babies with pictures as they grow and develop, plus sections on Syrian hamster care (where we can recommend cages and equipment that really are good and large enough). I know there are a lot of hamster sites around so whether people would actually look at it is debatable but I think it would be a good learning exercise for Will (and for me!).

So, for those who have done this before:

1) Cost - how much, roughly, are we looking at.

2) How - do you purchase "web space"???

3 Are there design websites or programmes that are simple enough for us???

4) Any good "how to" webites or books???

5) Any tips in general???

I feel a bit thick now as I know so little :oops:

Minicooper
08-28-2007, 12:20 PM
http://www.myfreephpbb.org/ is very good.

1)Cost- Its free

2) You can have as many pages as you like

3) Many, all different types, there's even a helpdesk if you get stuck

4) No need, these cost money and all the info is on the site

5) I don't no any tips, but the reason I recommend this site is because I'm a member of a ss forum and they use this and find it great

Holly
08-28-2007, 12:29 PM
That's brilliant, Minicooper - thanks :)

I'm off to work now but I'll have a proper look at it later 8)

pophammy
08-28-2007, 12:57 PM
We use www.piczo.com (http://www.piczo.com)

We have created our 'Custard Hamstery' Website using this. It's not quite done yet and I wasn't going to tell anyone about it, but... :wink: The address is www.custardhamstery.piczo.com (http://www.custardhamstery.piczo.com) .

Anyways...

It is absolutely FREEEEEEE!!! Go onto www.piczo.com (http://www.piczo.com) and click 'register'. It gives you instructions from there! It is really easy, as it gives you hints when you first start. Even souffle manages to use it! :lol: If you look to the right there is a drop down list which gives you all the basic functions like 'add new page', ' backgrounds' and 'add photos'. The only downside is you can't get a 'page inside a page' when using the pagelist, but I just use text boxes with links. Any questions you want to ask you can PM me about. You can also add 'friends' to your site, and the more hits you get, the more photos you can upload, but you are given plenty of space anyway. You do have to put up with some minor advertising but it doesn't caus is any bother. There are also several sites which give different 'effects' (such as a line through text when you hover over it or a different cursor etc.) you can put on your site using html. If you pm me I will give you a link to some of these.

We use piczo for our family sites. This is my personal site ~ www.anastasia-pophammy.piczo.com (http://www.anastasia-pophammy.piczo.com) ~ and this is our family site ~ www.theblairs.piczo.com (http://www.theblairs.piczo.com) . Hope this helps and you set up a site soon! :wink:

Holly
08-28-2007, 06:11 PM
It looks FANTASTIC, Pophammy 8) ...I'm at work right now but will have a proper look tomorrow - thanks for sharing :wink:

Jane
08-29-2007, 04:35 AM
Just remember if you use piczo even though loads of people use big flashy images, glittery pictures, flashy things and stuff like that most people actually find them really annoying ;)

pophammy
08-29-2007, 04:53 AM
And other people think they're cool!!! :lol:

I like them so have quite a few glittery things on my site, but realise that others don't, and haven't used them on the Custard Hamstery Site, as I want that to look more professional. On personal sites people should express themselves or else it wouldn't be unique to them and their character.

Holly
08-29-2007, 05:06 AM
Pophammy, I've had a good look at your Custard site (and stuck it in my faves) and I think it's fab - just exactly what I'd like Will and I to have done - if only we had the skill :?

It is absolutely FREEEEEEE!!! Go onto www.piczo.com (http://www.piczo.com) and click 'register'. It gives you instructions from there! It is really easy, as it gives you hints when you first start. Even souffle manages to use it! :lol:

Ha! But somehow I have a feeling souffle is a bit more computer savvy that me - besides she's got you (although perhaps Will will surprise me - he certainly picks up computer things fast).

If you look to the right there is a drop down list which gives you all the basic functions like 'add new page', ' backgrounds' and 'add photos'. The only downside is you can't get a 'page inside a page' when using the pagelist, but I just use text boxes with links. Any questions you want to ask you can PM me about. You can also add 'friends' to your site, and the more hits you get, the more photos you can upload, but you are given plenty of space anyway. You do have to put up with some minor advertising but it doesn't caus is any bother. There are also several sites which give different 'effects' (such as a line through text when you hover over it or a different cursor etc.) you can put on your site using html. If you pm me I will give you a link to some of these.

You are right, it does look good (and if they are offering help I'll take anything I can get!) so I'm going to join later today (when I'm awake - night shift - yawn) and have a play about.

I'm also looking forward to writing some hamster articles of my own - I've learned so much since that fateful day last December and I really want to write about it all! Thanks for the link offers - I'll PM you.

pophammy
08-29-2007, 05:39 AM
You do have the skill and so does Will! It takes a bit of getting used to but is really easy once you get the hang of it! The right hand drop down bar gives you everything you need, uploading photos, videos, backgrounds, text boxes and everything else!

One hint ~ uploading photos is much quicker if you resize them to between 400 pixels and 800 pixels (I use 600!). However if you can't do this they will still load in a reasonable time ~ about the same as photobucket. Don't be afraid to experiment with things ~ if you don't like it you can delete it and start again! You will probably find that Will is much more adventurous than you, so give him a free reign and see what he comes up with! Why not let him make his own personal site to practise on? :D

You can change your site name if you like, in case you call it something then change your hamstery name. Do you have one in mind? :wink: If you want any of the pics of your hams that we have let us know and we will Email them to you. Any other questions you have you can PM me about or use the piczo messaging service! :lol:

Holly
08-29-2007, 07:28 AM
I really appreciate your help - thanks 8)

It does look fairly straightforward (she says optimistically :oops: ).....Will is just finishing some homework and we are going to join and get started this afternoon :)

I'll PM you now for links to the "effects" sites ( and yes, we do have a hamstery name in mind - I'll tell you that as well to see what you and your mum think :wink: )

Jane
08-29-2007, 08:45 AM
And other people think they're cool!!! :lol:

I like them so have quite a few glittery things on my site, but realise that others don't, and haven't used them on the Custard Hamstery Site, as I want that to look more professional. On personal sites people should express themselves or else it wouldn't be unique to them and their character.

lol it sends me crazy..you're right, on personal sites I see no problem, but if I go to a site and it's like that I will close it straight away unless it's something I really want to see..it hurts my eyes :cry:

Holly
08-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Well we have managed to get started but have hit a few problems already (quelle surprise!)......how do you change things after you have put them on the page???

Unfortunately the title bit is wrong :oops: (wrong colour and font...plus I'd like to add a picture in to the box with the title bit.

Secondly I've added some "glitter graphics".....I like them BUT I can't see how to put them onto two lines??? I've basically ended up with a long sentence that makes my page too wide..... :oops:

I'm a bit rubbish at this :x

EDIT - worked out how to change the title box and the glitter graphics - steep learning curve or what! Just need to work out the pictures after dinner - eek!

It is fun though! Will is determined to start his own ASAP!

pophammy
08-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Do you mean after you have gone off of that page? If so open up a new text box and make it link to that page. Then when you are on the page use the mouse icon to move it, and the pop out list by clicking on the arrow gives you editing functions and sending pics forward etc.

To put a pic by the title use the 'tools' drop down list on the right hand side and click on 'pictures'. Choose
Upload new pictures (Classic)' and find the pics on your computer. Once it has uploaded the pic will appear on that page. Then you can move it by clicking on the hand symbol in the top right hand corner of it, resize it using the arrow in the bottom right corner and edit, rotate or send to the back using the buttons in the list (by clicking on the arrow in the top right).

Emm not sure if this is helpful! I am sure you will work it out eventually!

Spuds Mum
08-29-2007, 11:02 AM
having your own website is fun holly, I am lucky as Arti designs sites for work so he gets a bit of a busman's holiday when he comes home!
Our site http://www.madabouthamsters.com is not on a free server but that is because Arti looked into different servers and wanted ones that supported various things that some free ones didn't, he has looked at a good free one that he did consider though at www.007ihost.com (http://www.007ihost.com) which he liked because you get a lot of discspace & monthly bandwidth (how much people can download from your site before hitting a limit), no advertising or textlinks on your site (which you get on a lot of free sites) and you can link it in to your own domain name (if you have one)
He says it's also best to purchase a web domain name to give your site its own branding and 'stamp' for example we purchased both madabouthamsters.com and madabouthamsters.co.uk.

1and1.co.uk although not a free service offer a good all in one package starting at £2.34 a month. For £5.86 you can buy a complete package which includes webspace, your own co.uk domain name, ability to set up email accounts using domain name and all the tools you will need to build a website online using templates and wizards.

although not very userfriendly some website advice/info can be found at http://www.amcho.com/websetup.htm sorry for size of post - as you can probably tell - dictated by Arti!! :lol: [/url]

Holly
08-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Emm not sure if this is helpful! I am sure you will work it out eventually!

It's very helpful - 'cos we've done it :wink: (and I've sent you a link to our site (well quarter of a page, really :oops: )

Spud's Mum - thanks for the links (I love your site 8) )...I'm going to stick with Piczo for now though as I'm just getting the hang of it and it's free!!

Spuds Mum
08-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks Holly for the comments on our site.
I dont blame you for sticking with the free one as I am sure it will do everything you need it to! As I mentioned all decisions in that area are taken by Arti (well bless him he has to have the say in something in his life!! :oops: ) and he is a typical 'the fancier, more features, flashier the better' man! Basically I tell him what I want the site to do/look like etc. and he is responsible for actually making it to my specifications lol. You could say I am the Artistic Director or maybe the nagging bossy wife depending on your viewpoint! :lol: :lol:

Jane
08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Can we have the link Holly? Pleaseeeee? :lol: :wink:

Holly
08-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Erm....one more question - I have found a site with little moving hamster thingies (not sure what they are called but it says gif (oh dear I'm hopeless :oops: ) and it says people are welcome to use them on their own sites (Will very keen!).

How would I add these little gifs to my site????

Holly
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Can we have the link Holly? Pleaseeeee? :lol: :wink:

Eek! No not yet - but as soon as we've got something that resembles a proper site I'll post the link, promise :wink:

Spuds Mum
08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
You can do one of two things. Either save each of the gif images to your computer, then upload them to your own webspace, or you can hotlink to the site address for that image if the website permits.

If you can provide the webpage link i will have a look and tell you which is the best option.

By the way, a gif image is just a format images can be saved in. Gif images are usually basic in terms of colour (a maximum of 256 colours in an image as oppose to millions in a jpeg photo image) but gifs can string together several images together to create an animation. There are actually free easy to use programs that allow you to string your own series of images together if you want to do that.

(Arti) Spud's Mum's partner

Holly
08-29-2007, 01:11 PM
You can do one of two things. Either save each of the gif images to your computer, then upload them to your own webspace, or you can hotlink to the site address for that image if the website permits.

If you can provide the webpage link i will have a look and tell you which is the best option.

Oooh thanks :)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to link directly to another hamster on here - I'll PM it to you.

pophammy
08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I would just save them and upload them as images from your computer ~ I have done this before and it has worked fine! You can see th moving images on my personal site ~ I have LOADS on the Random Pics page ~ I have another one as my avatar here!

Minicooper
08-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Piczo is great but if your looking for a proper Forum hosting site like Hamster Central, myfreephpbb is one of the best.

Here's an Example of someones who has just set up:

http://cannellbd.myfreephpbb.org/

You can have it on whatever subject you like (Hamsters) and have as many topics as you'd like, also its free.

http://www.myfreephpbb.org/signup.php

FAQ Here if you get problems:

http://www.myfreephpbb.org/f.a.q.php?PH ... 3b7e387048 (http://www.myfreephpbb.org/f.a.q.php?PHPSESSID=e74e33595a2d8f1aec384a3b7e3870 48)

Good Luck :D

pophammy
08-30-2007, 11:07 AM
It will need to be fairly simple (no forum for example!) because we really haven't a clue, so far, how to do it :oops:

I don't think Holly wants a forum just yet Minicooper, but your links are great! Perhaps in the future when she has her website fully established... :wink:

Holly
08-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Oh my goodness!!! Minicooper, those links are interesting but I certainly don't have the skill/time for something like a forum right now.....maybe, as Pophammy says, sometime in the future (as I'm finding the whole thing great fun and rather addictive :wink: )

Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far - I've gone from someone with a vague idea but no idea how to realise it - to someone who is getting on with it - thanks to you lot 8)

One more question - how do you delete things that you don't want to keep???

pophammy
08-30-2007, 12:08 PM
To delete pics, text etc. click on the arrow at the top right of the pic. Then click on the pencil picture. A box should open. In this box will be all the editting functions etc. By the 'OK' and 'Cancel' box there should be a 'Delete' box. Just click on this! If it is a photo then it will go to the picture trash can, which you can access by clicking on 'organiser' at the top and scrolling down till you find it. Then you can take pics out of it to put elsewhere if you decide you want them again.

babyboos
08-30-2007, 05:58 PM
so exciting I hope you all put links to Hamster Central on your websites and tell us when they are ready to go so we can have a peek!

Holly
08-31-2007, 04:57 AM
so exciting I hope you all put links to Hamster Central on your websites and tell us when they are ready to go so we can have a peek!

I definitely will! I'm hoping that some people will want me to put links to their site and that they'll link to ours as well :oops:

pophammy
08-31-2007, 09:59 AM
I am happy for you to link to Custard Hamstery site Holly and I will add a link to your site from ours. Tell me when it is ready for me to add a link to and I will!

Spuds Mum
08-31-2007, 10:09 AM
I've noticed that you linked to our site Pophammy, thanks sooo much :D we will do likewise to yours - such lovely pictures and nice design. Is there a little hint on the site as to what you may be picking up at Rotherham :?: :lol:

Holly
08-31-2007, 12:29 PM
I am happy for you to link to Custard Hamstery site Holly and I will add a link to your site from ours. Tell me when it is ready for me to add a link to and I will!

Thanks! You will be our first link then :wink: ...I'll let you know when we are up and running - in fact I'll run the whole thing past you first!

Spud's Mum - could we also link to your site when we are running?? :wink:

Spuds Mum
08-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Absolutely Holly, that would be great - and we will do likewise for you when you are 'live'. Its really good fun - we have had lots of posts from all over the world and people asking for our hamsters and advice on hamster care. I have been able to advise people on some of my favourite hamster sites - and also of course advised them that hamster central is a great source of info!!

pophammy
09-01-2007, 11:46 AM
I hope it's OK that we also link to your site Spud's Mum, we thought it was really good and deserved to be linked to, and, Snuggleham, of course we will link to Hamstercentral!

Holly
09-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Quick question - how do you edit extra pages you have added in addition to the home page? I've linked to them from the homepage so I can get back to the pages inquestion but when I click on edit it always takes me back to the home page :?

pophammy
09-01-2007, 12:13 PM
I am not sure what you mean. What do you mean by edit the page? Do you mean change the page name, or the background colour, or do you mean edit the items on the page? I am a bit confused. :?

Jane
09-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Holly, do you mean how do you edit your other pages, not just homepage? if you do, to do that you can go to 'Page Editor' which takes you to your homepage, then click on one of your links, then you just add stuff to it..

I dunno if that's what you mean though lol.

Holly
09-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I am not sure what you mean. What do you mean by edit the page? Do you mean change the page name, or the background colour, or do you mean edit the items on the page? I am a bit confused. :?

I mean that I've added four extra pages but they aren't finished yet so I want to return to them to finish them. When I click on the links on the homepage to take me to those pages it does so but it's the "preview page" for them. When I click on page editor whilst on any of those extra pages it takes me back to the homepage editor.

Does that make sense?

Holly, do you mean how do you edit your other pages, not just homepage? if you do, to do that you can go to 'Page Editor' which takes you to your homepage, then click on one of your links, then you just add stuff to it..

That is what I mean but it doesn't work. When I'm on the homepage page editor and I click a link it takes me to the completed page and won't allow me to edit :?

Holly
09-02-2007, 02:10 AM
It's ok I've figured it out - I was clicking on my links rather than those provided by the site and I've managed to do it now :)

Holly
09-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Just to say the website is coming along pretty well - I'm hoping to *go live* at the weekend :shock:

Thanks to everyone who has helped me :)

Basia
09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Hmmm.... Ok now I want a website!!
Am going to enllist 17 year old son's help. :wink:

Spuds Mum
09-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Remember to update your profiles when your websites go live then we can all just click to view them whenever we want - (see Pophammy's post above - she has hers on) yes I know, I'm lazy but I wouldn't want to miss out when you have undertaken all that hard work :)

babyboos
09-06-2007, 03:27 PM
do let us know so we can have a peep
I need to stop being so lazy and get mine sorted out!

Holly
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm having a few problems with the website regarding pictures. Tonight I took three simillar photos of Sparrow - I saved them all in the same way and uploaded them all to my piczo site in the sameway . One loaded as a lovely large picture but the other two were both small - when I make them bigger the quality is poor. I can't see what I did differently - can anyone help?

Jane
09-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Maybe the pics were small before you uploaded them??

Can we have a link yet? Pleaseeee? :D

Basia
09-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I have had that happen to me too. Also once I have made the photos smaller, if I decide to make them bigger they go pixelly. I have downloaded quite a few of mine already sized from photobucket now.

Spuds Mum
09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Arti may be able to help - I'll PM you as he's offered to have a look for you

Holly
09-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks Spud's Mum and Arti - but I managed to figure it out............and now *drumroll*.....I'm ready to unveil my new site!!

It isn't finished - in fact, there are still huge chunks to complete but, thanks to you lot, I've gone from knowing nothing to having something viewable in just a couple of weeks....so thank you to everyone who has helped me, I really appreciate it :)

http://chocolate-hams.piczo.com

If anyone spots any glaring mistakes please let me know!

Jane
09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Having a nosy at the mo Holly and it's looking great ;) Only thing I noticed is the homepage is a bit wide but I guess that will depend on how big peoples monitors are :P

Spuds Mum
09-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Looks great Holly! Can't believe that we have matching hamsters in Sparrow and our Ice and Custard and Spud too!!Gorgeous site - gorgeous hamsters - will put a link on our site if that is ok? :lol:

Holly
09-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the nice comments :)

Only thing I noticed is the homepage is a bit wide but I guess that will depend on how big peoples monitors are :P

I notcied that too - when I first started the home page I had it covering the whole screen but there is a part down the right side of the screen wihich says "off page area"...and when I looked at the page preview my text was off the page so I moved it. Now there's a big gap!

pophammy
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow, you have done loads on the site! It is looking brilliant and you are almost done! :D Keep up the good work!

Holly
09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I have added some new pages now, including one on recommended books and an intro to hamster shows - if anyone fancies taking a look I'd appreciate some feedback (also any mistakes I've missed!).

Spuds Mum
09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
You've done some great work on it Holly - you're showing us up!! :oops: Love the bits on showing and reading - plus I am thinking of stealing your ideas on a couple of things (in a good way of course) Bramble's Dad is working on the website tonight so hopefully (if I nag enough) we should be able to update the links to include chocolate hams, + Wyside and Custard.
**should also be putting Flumps pictures on - Holly as mentioned - but as Flump is still young and longhaired he has some darkening up to do - you may wish to use other pics - wont be offended :x

Holly
09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for being so nice - I must say the encouragment from on here really spurs me on with it :)

**should also be putting Flumps pictures on - Holly as mentioned - but as Flump is still young and longhaired he has some darkening up to do - you may wish to use other pics - wont be offended :x

Well as I dont have any other pictures of a yellow (or even any real idea what a yellow looks like!) I'd love to still use Flump if that's ok - I can label him as a young LH and perhaps talk about how their coats generally darken with age 8)

Basia
09-20-2007, 01:31 PM
It's looking really good Holly, well done. Loved the beginners guide to showing and the books, I have most of those books too. You have come a long way in a year!

babyboos
09-20-2007, 05:07 PM
do remember to submit any good articles, passages, reviews, stories, reports etc. to Hamster Central :lol:

and include us on your Links pages if you have one :oops: :roll: 8)

Holly
09-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks you two :)

You have come a long way in a year!

It's hard to believe that this time last year we didn't even have one hamster (though Will and I had been looking longingly at them for a couple of years thinking, with a cat, no way)!

Babyboos - the link to HC is already there :wink:

souffle
09-21-2007, 02:40 AM
The website is coming on in leaps and bounds. You have some great ideas there Holly and lots of useful info. We too have some of those books and we also have some different ones which are quite old but useful. I wish I had more time to update ours (personal one) but luckily I have Pophammy for the Custard site although now with schoolwork she has less time. She has added some new pages recently so keep looking everyone.

Holly
09-21-2007, 03:18 AM
The website is coming on in leaps and bounds. You have some great ideas there Holly and lots of useful info. We too have some of those books and we also have some different ones which are quite old but useful.

I'm actually very interested in older books - to get a historical perspective on hamster keeping in the "olden days" - and have picked up a few myself. Hamsters by Percy Parslow is one and I also have a little booklet called Ditchfields The Golden Hamster by T.W. Pond. Oh the joys of ebay!

Thinking about it I might add a historical book section to our site....hmmm....

Basia
09-21-2007, 05:00 AM
The website is coming on in leaps and bounds. You have some great ideas there Holly and lots of useful info. We too have some of those books and we also have some different ones which are quite old but useful.

I'm actually very interested in older books - to get a historical perspective on hamster keeping in the "olden days" - and have picked up a few myself. Hamsters by Percy Parslow is one and I also have a little booklet called Ditchfields The Golden Hamster by T.W. Pond. Oh the joys of ebay!

Thinking about it I might add a historical book section to our site....hmmm....

I love this forum, it makes me feel so much better about myself. I too have to collect old books as well as new ones. My family and friends just think I am odd or even slightly mad.