PDA

View Full Version : weston-super-mare

Bunsey
08-28-2007, 09:27 AM
anyone know exactly where the weston-super-mare show is? some may call me sad, but i'm booking a nice seaside holiday to coincide with this show! :x

we were working out how to fit the luggage in the car as well as gabber rex cages... i figured that we would be fine if my mum sits with the luggage on her lap in the front :x

babyboos
08-30-2007, 06:10 PM
yup done that too
convinced parents to go to Sheffield on holiday and then smuggled 12 hamsters into the boot!

ad36
09-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Can you just turn up and have a look at these shows, I live near this one and was interested in going as I have never been before! I didn't know if you needed to be a member of a club. Looking at a previous link for WSM shows earlier in the year the address was St Saviours Church 74 Locking Road WSM but I don't know if this is the address for this one but will also be interested to hear where it is so I can pop along! Just out of interest do many forum members belong to clubs or councils I have been looking at the websites and have been thinking about joining and would be interested to hear any views!

souffle
09-04-2007, 11:14 AM
The WSM show is held by the southern club. If you drop the secretary an e-mail I am sure she would let you know the address. Everyone is welcome to go and have a look and there are usually raffles, tombolas and tea & snacks on sale as well as hamsters, or why not take your hammie for the pets class which is 'enter on the day' and is usually judged around lunch time. We were made very welcome first time we went and everyone just loves to talk hams! We are members of Northen and enjoy it very much. You soon get roped in to helping and its great to meet lots of people and their lovely hams. You also get a monthly journal and schedules for the shows so it is worth £8.50 a year.
Here is a link the the NHC with show dates
The secretary is at the top
http://www.hamsters-uk.org/shows07/shows07.html

Spuds Mum
09-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I can well recommend popping along to a show ad36. We did just that a few months ago and received such a warm welcome. Everyone we spoke to was only too happy to answer our questions, to give us help and advice about our hamsters and, to top it all, we had the chance to look at some gorgeous hamsters in colours you'd never see in pet shops, with someone there to describe them to us and to tell us about the classes etc. We've been to every one of our local shows since then and have recently joined the Northern Hamster Club.
It is so nice to be able to share your hobby with like minded individuals - a bit like having a face to face forum!

ad36
09-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Its a definate then, they sound interesting, bit concerned that I hear there are often hamsters for sale or links to breeders aleast. Just wondering how many I could get in the back of the car before my husband notices!!!!!

Spuds Mum
09-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Aaah well as to that, I cannot reassure you I'm afraid. I've always come home with at least one new hamster! :oops: Even on the Rotherham show this Sunday I am collecting a new boy from a breeder (and that is without even looking at the sale tables!!). I think the only thing you can do is have a strict talk to yourself before the show (hope it works better for you than for me :x ) but even if you do stray over to the sales tables, if you have something in mind or have special requirements, then you will get good advice, I've found that no-one will want you to just buy a hamster - any hamster. As an example, my daughter has recently become interested in our hobby and was interested in yellow-black hamsters. The club secretary happened to have some there for sale (very lucky) but gave advice that we were better to go for a yellow-black and a yellow if my daughter was planning to show them as yellow-black is not standard. She discussed breeding and possible outcomes and Rosie went away, with her new hamsters, but also with a vast amount of relevant info.
Enjoy your first show (and let us see the new hamster soon :lol: )

Holly
09-04-2007, 02:41 PM
I can only reiterate what the others have said - go along, I'm sure you will love it. We went to our first Northern show in March - and we haven't looked back. I love going to them and so do the boys 8)

babyboos
09-04-2007, 05:33 PM
you really will not regret going along
hope you get the chance to see what it is all about and tell us your impressions

Bunsey
09-07-2007, 10:19 AM
i can't go cos the only week i can get off work is the last week in october :(

sthomas048
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Well im going to try and get to this show on the train from Cardiff on Saturday. Couldnt make my mind up if i should go to this show or the one in Bath next month, so i will go to Weston SM and maybe if work allows, also go to Bath. Im quite looking forward to it. I will probably be the only 35 year old male there ?! :lol:

Stephen.

Spuds Mum
10-04-2007, 02:46 PM
I doubt that very much - although we can't stray that far, my other half, Brambles Dad is a 34 year old male (short haired blonde hamster enthusiast-not up to show standard unfortunately lol) and the shows we have gone too seem to have a mixture of age and sex from probably about 10 to 50 (and maybe a little older - but wouldnt want to be rude)
As you'll see from the posts above - I'm sure you'll have a great time, and certainly will see some gorgeous hamsters....
......talking of which - I got a similar pm to you earlier about a certain website.....
I hear you are thinking of taking one? I think that's a really good choice! You will have to let me know what 'flavour' you are going for. I would find it very difficult to choose just one :x

Basia
10-04-2007, 02:49 PM
You may be the only 35 year old but I doubt you will be the only male. I had hoped to go to this show as my brother lives in Weston so I could have killed 2 birds with one stone but it coincides with Aston Villa being at home so my driver is elsewhere :evil:
I'm sure you will have a great time, hamster people are so friendly and helpful. I asked so many questions at Cardiff and everyone was lovely to me. You will also see some gorgeous, big hamsters. :D

sthomas048
10-04-2007, 03:16 PM
I feel reassured that i wont seem out of place at the show, silly me ! Basia - i am really up for going to the show in Weston, even though it means i have to be up extra early ! :oops: Lots of tea and snacks when i get there i reckon.

Stephen.