PDA

View Full Version : Treat advice...

Roxie
07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm picking up a new dwarf in a couple of weeks and I'm just getting prepared and could do with some advice from you good people. I know they can be prone to diabetes but I would like to get him/her a couple of nice treats, but all the ones in the store look full of sugar so I'm confused. Would something like a carrot and fennal stick be ok? And the Naturals Rodent Marbles?

I haven't had a dwarf for about 12 years so any advice is much appreciated!

RachK
07-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Hi Roxie, treats mine have had are Wagg beetroot sticks & carrot sticks, Woodlands broccoli heaven, Critters Choice vegetable buttons, Naturals Cheese snacks, aswell as the Fennal sticks & Marbles you mentioned. They also love locust beans. :) Hope this helps.

Roxie
07-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Oh that's brilliant, thank you. As I mentioned, the variety of store products was confusing me as I obviously don't want to do any harm to the new ham. That's a great list, gives me loads to try out!

SnickersTheFirst
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Do you know what type of dwarf it is? As Robos and pure Winter Whites aren't affected by sugar (I've heard!).

I'd say carrot treats are fine, I use them for Bailey my Chinese. Also, I bought a bag of the natural treats from P@H. It's a small bag of leaves, sticks, mushrooms and other plants; my lot love it. :)

Lucinda
07-21-2011, 10:41 AM
One of mine doesn't like the marbles, but both of them ADORE the yoghurt drops. the "Naturals" range is great, I think.

Roxie
07-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I've been really impressed with the Naturals range, been trying out a few on my Syrian cookie and they go down really well.

And I'm not sure yet Snickers, just waiting to see who takes me eye and picks me out really :), but that's good to know about the Robos and WWs. I had assumed you had to be wary of too much sugar with all dwarfs. There's always something more to learn! :mrgreen:

RachK
07-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Just thought I'd add that ECF stock tons of the Naturals range that's where I've been getting mine from :)

Momiji
07-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Kaytee Fiesta Healthy Toppings are sugar free and I've seen some hamsters like them. I'm talking about the papaya one specifically.