PDA

View Full Version : Aubiose

Holly
08-26-2007, 04:46 AM
I have found a supplier of Aubiose about 5 minutes away from where I live and am thinking of giving it a go (for the hamsters and also the piggies). It costs eight quid for a MASSIVE bale (I'd possibly keep it in the garage, though I'd like to find a rodent proof bin to keep it in, and decant some into smaller bags to keep in the house) so it would be cheaper than Carefresh and even shavings/Carefresh mixed - which is what I'm now using.

Has anyone any experience of Aubiose? I think I've seen it before - Caramel's travel box from her breeder had some in and we added some to our box to bring her home - so she's obviously been on it before.

Is it a suitable substrate for a pregnant hamster and a newborn litter? If not I could buy something else for this period.

Is it good for guinea pigs? I've read conflicitng opinions on a GP forum....

I had no idea it would be so easy for me to get hold of which is why I haven't tried it up to now - though I'm quite pleased with the shavings/carefresh mix, knowing quite a few breeders swear by Aubiose, I'm thinking of giving it a go....

pophammy
08-26-2007, 05:14 AM
We have never tried it. After looking at pics I would be worried that the pieces might hurt the ham's feet as they look quite spikey, but having never tried it I have no experience with it so I don't know!

Jane
08-26-2007, 05:28 AM
I've never used it but have looked into it - a few people on another hamster forum use this with no problems and love it :) They say that is looks sharp at first but once its pressed down it's fine..I know a few people use it for piggies too with no problems :D

Where are you getting it from? (*hopes it's near me*)

Holly
08-26-2007, 08:44 AM
I've never used it but have looked into it - a few people on another hamster forum use this with no problems and love it :) They say that is looks sharp at first but once its pressed down it's fine..I know a few people use it for piggies too with no problems :D ....

Hmm - what about when they dig in it? Though I have to say the bit that came with Caramel seemed nice and soft

Where are you getting it from? (*hopes it's near me*)

Well it's about five mins from me in Leicestershire so I don't think so! If you can't manage to find it near you, Jane, I'd be happy to get you some in time for Rotherham if you want me to and are going to be there? Plus if anyone at Rotherham wants to have a look/try some, if I do go ahead and get it, I could bring some with me.

I just hope it isn't Megazorb all over again :? :lol:

Jane
08-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Well apparently it's really light so easy to dig in but their tunnels which they've burrowed in fall apart quite easily.

Thanks for the offer! :) We're definately going to be there, but it would depend where we could meet you because unless you get there really early (which you might be doing anyway because your showing some hammies?) you end up parking ages away from the show and my dad would not be happy carrying it hahah :x :x

Holly
08-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the offer! :) We're definately going to be there, but it would depend where we could meet you because unless you get there really early (which you might be doing anyway because your showing some hammies?) you end up parking ages away from the show and my dad would not be happy carrying it hahah :x :x

Ha! I didn't think about the fact that this show is a large one and that we may not be able to park outside - I wouldn't want your dad carrying it either! We do normally get there as early as we can so that we have plenty of time to get organised and in case of disaster en route

I think I'll contact the show sec and find out about times and parking etc - which reminds me that I don't have a show schedule yet - wonder if it's out yet???

Jane
08-26-2007, 10:01 AM

Ha! I didn't think about the fact that this show is a large one and that we may not be able to park outside - I wouldn't want your dad carrying it either! We do normally get there as early as we can so that we have plenty of time to get organised and in case of disaster en route

I think I'll contact the show sec and find out about times and parking etc - which reminds me that I don't have a show schedule yet - wonder if it's out yet???

Last year we all parked on a big field seperate to where it's being held - not that far away but still a good 5 or 10 minute walk. Only disabled badge holders were allowed to go through the gates and park inside (but maybe people showing hams will too? *shrug*)

souffle
08-26-2007, 11:44 AM
We got the schedule in our journal Holly ages ago. Did you not get it? It is on the Northern HC site to download if you did not. It is the clubs 40th year anniversary show. If you get your entry in to Sue asap she will likely post you a parking permit...at least she did us last year and we got to park really near the hammy tent. You need to be there for 10.30 with the hams and should get parked fine then on the field next to it. About 1 min walk. There is no racing but there is a pet class.

Holly
08-26-2007, 12:42 PM
No we didn't get one - I thought it odd at the time that it didn't come with the August journal :?

I'll give Sue a ring tomorrow - we are just entering Caramel and Turner in the main show and the boys are taking Treacle, Custard and Joshua's Syrup for pets.

We are giving Sparrow a rest as he's getting over his wound and Mocha is looking a bit tired (it's funny to think he's nearly one) so he's having a rest as well.

Holly
08-30-2007, 12:10 PM
I bought my first bag of Aubiose today and have cleaned out three of our hamsters plus the piggies with it this evening - I have to say I'm impressed so far 8)

When you break up the bale it feels really soft (much softer than shavings or Carefresh...and a heck of a lot softer than it looks). There's no discernable smell and, even with the piggies using it as well, that bag is HUGE and should be very economical for us.

I'll let you all know how it goes (do you think Candace would like a picture of it for the bedding feature?).

Jane
08-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Oooh you've made me want some even more now Holly :( :P

babyboos
08-30-2007, 05:54 PM
my friend whom breeds piggies uses this stuff
I was okay with megazorb (apart from the smell still makes me feel a bit nauseous) so never really got into it but I would definitely give it a try if it was available at my horse suppliers where I get my bedding from (which it currently isn't)

souffle
08-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Could you bring a little bit to Rotherham so we could have a look Holly? As long as it does not smell it sound nice.

Holly
08-31-2007, 04:53 AM
Could you bring a little bit to Rotherham so we could have a look Holly? As long as it does not smell it sound nice.

I'll stick some in a bag for you - and it will be in all our hammies' travel bins :)

Basia
09-14-2007, 06:25 AM
I had completely forgotten about this stuff until I read you were using it Holly. Thank goodness you reminded me I have been and bought a bale today. It cost £9.99, so more expensive than yours. It will save me a fortune though because I have been forced to use Carefresh since I came back off holiday as Morrisons and Asda haven't had their paper based cat litter in stock.
Hopefully this will be better for Chunky too, I have to brush the cat litter out of his coat every night and carefresh isn't much better.
I will be able to use it for the piggies and rabbit too.
Cheers Holly :D

Holly
09-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Glad to be of assistance :wink:

The stuff is brilliant - you'll probably find it a lot better for your LH hams as well, I certainly do.

It is saving me a fortune as well - even though a bale isn't lasting me a whole month it's only going to be slightly less than a month - and that's for six and half (we won't have had Roly for a whole month!) hamsters and two piggies as well.

That's under nine quid versus the cost of 12 bags of Carefresh (over 30 quid) and a big bag of shavings - brilliant!