PDA

View Full Version : Best caging from the hamsters point of view...

Pouchy
08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Before we start, lets think about the type of habitat the hamster lives in in the wild. Usually it lives in some sort of underground burrow system with chambers connected by tunnels from where it comes up to the surface to feed. Therefore we can assume that one of the hamsters main criteria for a cage is not how easy it is to clean.
Right everyone, off you go. Let's here your thoughts.

babyboos
08-22-2007, 04:02 PM
not a hamsters main criteria but ours definitely as we need to clean it out every week

souffle
08-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Wild hamsters will spend much of their nighttime activiity foraging and covering large areas and distances so a large spacious cage with a big wheel to provide excercise is essential

babyboos
08-23-2007, 07:40 AM
a seperate potty area is preferable as in the wild they would have a toilet burrow, which when this got full up would be blocked off and a new one dug

Holly
08-26-2007, 04:38 AM
I think that they need a variety of things in a cage:

*Space* - as much as possible really. As souffle says, they run for miles in the wild and small chambers linked by tunnels really don't give them enough space (IMO - having tried both sorts of cages)

*Cozy area for a nest* - this might be an actual house/box or whatever - or they might just choose a corner and make their nest there. Also often used as a food store.

*Ventilation/draught-proofing* - to me some tub cages look terribly lacking in ventillation - and, conversely some wire cages look too open and draughty.

*Wheel* - very few, if any, that come with cages are big enough for an adult Syrian

*Toilet corner or potty* - all of our Syrians use these and, by cleaning them out every evening the cage stays cleaner for longer.

I'm sure there's more but I can't think of anything now....

I know I go on about it but I'm a huge fan of the Gabber Rex cage for Syrians. However I also like a couple of wire cages - the Savic Cambridge and FOP Gimmey are two that spring to mind - both have a lot of space awith overlapping shelves and (if your hamster doesn't bar chew!) they'll enjoy climbing without risk of falling too far.