PDA

View Full Version : Breeders near Brighton???

Roxie
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm interested in adding a Chinese to my family, problem is I'm having a hell of a time finding Breeders within a resonable distance of me. I really can't travel far, so anyone aware of any around Brighton. I've been keeping an eye out or rescues but they don't seem very popular pets around here. Can't even find a pet shop who sell them :(.

Any help will be much appreciated! I need a little Chinese in my life.

racinghamster
07-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Good luck Roxie. :) Pets At Home sometimes have them in their adoption section but if your anything like me and don`t drive, I can`t get down to our store all that often. Free-ad websites sometimes have them up for rehoming so check those in your area. :)

I adore my little female and would`nt be without a Chinese hamster now. A good breeder is the way to go though if you can find one.

Roxie
07-13-2011, 03:41 AM
It's such a shame they're not more popular, they're so difficult to find and the more I read about them the more desperate I am to have one!

The closest P@H to me is Newhaven which is quite a long train ride and I wouldn't want to put such a small animal through that. I'm really surprised Brighton doesn't have it's own branch.

*Sigh* I really need to learn to drive :p

racinghamster
07-13-2011, 03:52 AM
My feeling is that Chinese hamsters are a bit like mice. Sometimes difficult to find and then three months later, six pop up online in free-ads looking for homes! :mad: It can also be fate that one comes up when you least expect it, much as my Prinny did on here. I wanted a Chinese hamster sometime in the future and was planning ahead and then all of a sudden I found myself being offered one from another forum member who had rehomed a pair that had to be split up, so I jumped at the chance to take her and I hav`nt regreted it for one minute. She`s such a little sweetie and I love her to bits. I`d have another one tomorrow if one came up locally for rehoming because I`ve really warmed to these little creatures now and having kept pet mice for ten years or so, I love their mouse-like qualities. Even though Prinny is a `hamster` species, I see her more like a mini possum with button eyes and a sleek, mouse like appearance! Gorgeous little animals. They look a bit like Steppe lemmings!

jp27
07-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, was googling hamsters in Brighton and came across your post! I've just moved down to Brighton and am going to start exploring the local shelters / pet shops soon, so if I see any Chinese hamsters I will let you know. I could even transport it back if you saw one you'd like - anything for a hammie in need of a loving home :).

Jack

Vectis Hamstery
07-14-2011, 03:10 PM
I am probably your closest breeder of Chinese hamsters with a National Hamster Council prefix at the moment. I have had people travel from Brighton and London on public transport to pick up hammies :) Good luck in your search

Roxie
07-15-2011, 04:46 AM
Thanks Jp and Vectis. I could travel but lack of fund means I can't really at the moment. However I did have some good news today and this might benefit you too Jp...

I have a Pets Corner five minutes away from me which only stock Syrians. I thought I'd ask today to see if they ever had any dwarfs/chinese. They don't but they have a branch in West Hove which stock Syrians, Campbells, Winter Whites and they will on occassion get Chinese in so my hope if not lost!

Jp I can give you directions to the branch if you need them seeing as your new to Brighton, they're a great store, very ethically sound

ETA: I was given false information! The only have Russians and Robos, never Chinese. My hope was raised and then cruelly dashed!

racinghamster
07-15-2011, 06:14 AM
If it`s a chinese hamster you really want Roxie, I would hold out for one because they truly, TRULY are worth it. If you cave in and take on a Russian or a syrian, you might regret it if a Chinese comes up for rehoming! ;)

Roxie
07-15-2011, 06:23 AM
That's definitely what I fear. I would like a new member of the family and I keep debating whether to get a Russian instead but I know if I got one, a Chinese would most likely appear for rehoming the next day! :mrgreen: