PDA

View Full Version : Hyper Hammie!

Beowolf72
07-27-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi all!
My hammie, Maple, has really started to act funny lately. She's sleeping during the day but around 10 pm...She goes into 'super-mega-hyper' mode! She jumps around in her cage, climbs her water bottle, tries to climb on her wheel to get out. So I have taken her out for longer lovey time and started putting her in her ball more...but as soon as I put her back in the cage, it starts again!
I've tried distractions such as wood chews, toilet paper tubes, treats...nothing will calm her down!

Any suggestions? What toys are good for Syrians (as most seems to be made for dwarfs)? Does this behaviour mean she's in heat?

souffle
07-28-2007, 06:45 AM
We fimd the females get up earlier and are much more active on the night they are on heat. They charge around and wheel run like crazy probably looking for a mate :lol: If she is young she will just be reaching maturity and they do get more 'frisky' in the spring and summer, their main breeding season. Try and keep her busy with home made toys like cardboard boxes, chews. egg boxes. tubes and maybe a sandbox to dig in. Make sure her wheel is nice and big and give her plenty out time like bed scrambling and stair climbing!

Holly
07-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Our only female, Caramel, is usually noticeably livelier than our 3 male Syrians - especially roughly every fourth night (mind you, she is youngerthan the boys). She does the monkey bars and she climbs and chews the hanging swing we've given her almost constantly. She sounds pretty normal to me :wink:

PKK
07-29-2007, 02:20 PM
I've owned a number of rodent species and generally males are mellow and females are active once past puberty. I've found my syrian gals most active when they were in heat. Like they were looking for a date.

Kat

babyboos
07-29-2007, 04:59 PM
it sounds like she may be in heat
of course she could also just be a hyper hamster
keep an eye on her beaviour and see how it develops in coming nights

lau200
07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
i once happened to my Summer, she was running round like her tail was on fire. then i realized she'd broken her wheel :( check the wheel is big enough and that it is working :D

Beowolf72
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Thank you all for your help! Maple's wheel is 9inches in diameter and her back is straight when she's running. I have back pain and I certainly don't want my hammies to have back pain! lol

I rearranged her cage and that seemed to help a bit. I've continued to take her out nightly for cuddles and stair exercising.

I am so glad this site is here! Everyone is VERY helpful! Thanks again! :D