PDA

View Full Version : The bin cage is coming to life!

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 03:08 AM
Here are pictures of the bin cage I'm making for either two robo's or two russians. I'm adding another level on the opposite side but a little higher, and connecting the two levels with a bridge I'm waiting to be delivered.

The bin is from Ikea and it's the SAMLA box!

Obviously I'm adding so much more stuff to it but just letting you know how I'm getting on!

emma and button
06-27-2011, 03:45 AM
hehe looks really good :)
i have the SAMLA box too for when a lonely dwarf hammie finds me :P just need to add a shlef like yours :)
where did you get the shelf from? and was it easy to fit?

LawaRawr
06-27-2011, 03:49 AM
Looks good so far :) i was going to get a samla box for my bin cage but i got put off the idea because of my bad DIY skills. look forward to seeing more pics with a hammie inside :D

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 03:54 AM
hehe looks really good :)
i have the SAMLA box too for when a lonely dwarf hammie finds me :P just need to add a shlef like yours :)
where did you get the shelf from? and was it easy to fit?

Thankyou :p umm I got the shelf from wilkinsons!
And yes! Just literally screw the shelf on which ever side you want!

Looks good so far :) i was going to get a samla box for my bin cage but i got put off the idea because of my bad DIY skills. look forward to seeing more pics with a hammie inside :D

Hehe thankyou! Not too sure when I'll be getting the hammies yet! So watch this space ^.^

AlexWyattMommy
06-27-2011, 07:20 AM
I think it is great that you are setting up the bin before the hamsters arrive.

It looks like a really nice start to a very cool habitat.

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Thankyou :)
I'm very excited about this little project, although it's not looking like much at the moment haha :D!

musicqueen
06-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Your bin cage will turn out great:) what size is the box and how much was it? I'm going Ikea on Saturday and want a box like yours.

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 08:00 AM
I hope so :D hehe!
Sure! It's £10.20 (gotta pay for the lid too, an added £4 which is ridiculous) and the size is 79cmx57cmx42cm (130 litres) so it's pretty big! When I saw it in the shop I was so surprised haha! Have fun with your bin cage :D

LawaRawr
06-27-2011, 08:10 AM
im having second thoughts on making my bin cage now seeing others bin cages tempts me xD.

did you need to buy the clips which secures the lid on to the box or is it secure enough without them?

SAMLA Clip lock for box 55/130 l - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00120842)

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 08:16 AM
It is fun building them, and there's so many thing you can do with them too!

:O I didn't know they came with clips! The lid is pretty secure anyway, but I think I may buy them just incase, seeing as they're only 60p! ^.^

LawaRawr
06-27-2011, 08:21 AM
haha i think im going to buy the clips as i have 3 dogs and 3 cats running round the house.
im deffo going to make a bin cage now :P
ive decided where im going to put things in it , although im not allowed a hammie till i move house and get a job so i could be waiting a long time :( .

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 08:23 AM
Haha, I guess it would be a good idea to get the clips then :p
Well you could make the bin cage anyway, it doesnt cost much! Then its ready and waiting for your new hammy!
I'm doing the same thing, as I'm not sure when I can actually get them yet :(

LawaRawr
06-27-2011, 08:32 AM
well its my step dad saying im not allowed to get any hammies yet so my mum told me to buy little things for him/her and put them in the boxes that i have packed so my step dad wont notice haha.
my mum said to me buy the box and lid and just tell my step dad its for storing stuff in when we move :D
ahh hopefuly he wont find out what im up to.

well hopefuly you can get them soon so they can run around their new bin cage :P

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 08:35 AM
Aahhh I see! That kinda sucks, but I love your mums idea :p

Hehe yeah, I hope they'll like it ^.^

LawaRawr
06-27-2011, 08:42 AM
ahh i bet they will like it :D when they first go in it i reacon they will be like "wow big cage , lots of room to run about it yay" . haha

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Lmao! I'll have to video their reactions! :D

LawaRawr
06-27-2011, 09:05 AM
haha. i would love to see it :D

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 09:07 AM
As soon as I get them I'll post a video :p hehe.

fluffymunchkins
06-27-2011, 10:59 AM
That looks lovely and spacious :D
I've always wanted to convert and ikea SAMLA box, was the lid easy to cut?

AliKati
06-27-2011, 11:05 AM
It's looking good! Are you gonna cut into the side to make a side window?

Teddybearhamster420
06-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Great Job so far! Looks great!!

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
That looks lovely and spacious :D
I've always wanted to convert and ikea SAMLA box, was the lid easy to cut?

Thankyou :mrgreen:

It was! My dad used an electric jigsaw, then sanded it down so there were no sharp bits. So simple :)

It's looking good! Are you gonna cut into the side to make a side window?]

Thanks! :D

I'm thinking about cutting one but not sure what size, should I use the mesh I used for the lid? Just wondering if the holes wouldn't be small enough?

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Thankyou Teddybearhamster420 :)
Will keep you all up to date on the progress, hopefully it'll all go to plan!! *fingers crossed*

ashari
06-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Yay another person has wilko shelves too!!!!there fab arent they!have a few myself!i was the orighal wilko shelf user,not that im bragging mind hehehe!

your cage is taking shape already,i cant wait to see the end result its going to look great!! :)

littlemonster
06-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Hehehe, well....I got the idea from YOU! So thankyou! :p

I'm kinda annoyed at how 'tacky' the tape looks, do you reckon I could colour it somehow? Or does it look okay? Haha I'm so bad with decisions! ^.^

ashari
06-30-2011, 11:13 AM
littlemonster - good minds think alike hehe!i dont think the tape looks that bad to be honest :) as long as the hammy cant eat it though lol.

musicqueen
07-04-2011, 06:06 AM
I got the SAMLA bin on Saturday and it's huge:) I'm using it as a playpen but i'm very tempted to make it into a bin cage;)

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
07-08-2011, 05:15 AM
Looks really good! :)

Thankyou umm I got the shelf from wilkinsons!
And yes! Just literally screw the shelf on which ever side you want!

Omg I was looking at the shelf thinking ''oh I hope they sell something like that in Wilkos'' since Im off to buy another bin cage there tomorrow and wanted to put a shelf in too!
Lol what a stroke of luck :D