PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell....???

ham ham 1
04-12-2005, 11:01 AM
How can I tell how old my Hammie is? I got her Feb. 3rd.

How old are they when at pet store? And how can I be sure? She was in new shipment and was very tiny. I know they fight at 8 - 10 weeks so she cannot have been older when I got her right? Sorry so many ?? ! :?

SnuggleHam
04-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Is Hammie a Syrian hamster? The ideal time for a hamster to be re-homed is about a month old, so I’m assuming that pet stores get their young hams at about this age. They still would look fairly small at this stage, their eyes often appear a bit smaller but bright and as they age they start to fatten up and fill out, so I would just assume your hamster was about a month old and just try and figure out from what day you got it to what date it was a month from then to determine a age.

So maybe around January 4th to the 9th your hamster may have been born?I really such with math so someone correct me if im wrong :P

:oops:

ham ham 1
04-13-2005, 07:41 PM
Yes hammie is a Syrian hamster. :D A honey banded (cream banded) :)

babyboos
04-15-2005, 06:04 PM
The only way you could tell for sure would be to find the original breeder - the store may give you this information as the breeder may have passed it on to them, or they may give you their contact details. You are quite right in that she was probably under 10 wweks when you obtained her but as to anything more definite I am sorry you will probably never know. Young hamsters have white teeth which yellow with age but it is not like tree rings or anything you just get a general indication of young, middle-aged, elderly etc.