PDA

View Full Version : Savic Mickey 2XL Review

Roxie
06-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I've had this cage for over a week now and so I feel it's time to share my thoughts.

I brought it on www.EquineCanineFeline.com Online UK Pet Accessories, UK Pet Supplies, Rat, ferret, chinchilla, hamster, rabbit, guinea pig, cat, dog and horse products with FAST UK Delivery! (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com) and got a 10% discount thanks to using the ANIMAL code. I've noticed it's also available on Amazon.

The cage measures 80cmx50cmx38cm. It has 9mm bar spacing so can be used for most breeds of Hamster. The cage feels incredibly well made, the base is sturdy and the bars seem very strong. It is very secure which is a bonus if you're overly paranoid about escapes like I am :). The best feature of this cage is the large side door. It gives great access to the cage and you are able to get things in and out without disturbing your ham. The base is very deep which is great if you like to give your ham lots of substrate to dig in.

It comes with a removable wire shelf which would obviously need covering if you decided to keep it in. It also has a sputnik, some plastic tunnels and a feeding bowl. The wheel that's included is roughly 7 and 1/2 inches in diameter which is better than most wheels that come with cages but it will defintely need replacing as your Syrian grows.

The cage has room for a lot of toys. I have several large natural wood toys in the cage, plus a wheel, a chube and a couple of toilet roll tubes and there is still ample floor space. I've noticed a huge change in Cookie as well. She is no longer terratorial about her cage, thanks to the large door she can now see and sense me when my hand goes in. I also haven't noticed her bar chewing since being moved in.

The bars do have to be bent slightly to fit a classic water bottle but this does not compromise the security of the cage. I did also have to bend the bars slightly to attach a comfort wheel to the cage. Again, this is no problem but it does easily fit a senior wodent wheel should this be an issue for you.

All in all, I am incredibly impressed with the cage and happily recommend it.

Pros
Great size.
Very secure.
Great access.
Side door!
Can be used for most breeds.

Cons
Could be even bigger :)
Bars may need to be bent to fit some accessories.
The handles included are tiny and I don't feel confident transporting the cage with them. This makes the cage difficult to move.

racinghamster
06-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Nice revue Roxie. :) I`m glad you like this cage. The handles that clip on are fine to lift off the top part of the cage but I don`t think they were intended to be used to lift the entire cage as it may be very heavy anyway. I tend to carry the entire cage by the base if it needs moved.

It`s a wonderful syrian, dwarf hamster or mouse cage because of it`s narrow bars. Something you don`t get with the Hamster Heaven for example. I`m happy enough with it`s size really. Any bigger and it might be too massive to cope with! :mad:

A nice cag for an affordable price I feel.

Ish
09-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I am thinking of getting this cage but I am just concerned (with any cage) about bar chewing? Anyone experienced this with this cage?

racinghamster
09-02-2011, 01:21 AM
My syrian Boris never bar chews and he was put into this cage having lived in a Rotastak before he came to live with me. I feel the narrower bars deter hamsters from bar chewing and critically, making sure they have a big enough wheel as this seems to be a big part of a hamsters daily excersise, so I personally feel if they don`t have a large enough wheel to keep their mind and body focused, they will bar chew instead. :)

The senior wodent wheel (11" tall) stands up in this cage fine with room to spare, so the height in this cage is good.

Roxie
09-02-2011, 06:41 AM
I should add that my Syrian has never bar chewed in this. She tried, she failed, so now she doesn't even attempt it any more :)

The narrower spacing definitly helps.

alittleblonde
12-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Really helpful review, thankyou :) Would it be possible for you to put some pics up at some point please? I'm seriously considering one for my hammy, but am finding it kind of hard to visualise what it's like with a syrian romping round it with all their gubbins :D

Willow's mummy!
04-21-2012, 01:11 PM
I got this for Willow, our Syrian and she loves it! She already had the small igloo on the shelf, but I bought the shelf & ladder, & the larger sputnik as extras for the cage. We added more substrate after this picture, and she burrows happily in it with little mess.

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/Lollspix/Picturesfromthecamerato25March2012023.jpg

Hammymad
04-24-2012, 09:37 AM
I have this cage for one of my dwarfs :) its a lovely cage and very spacious for Rambo :) xx