PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid or wrongly labeled Winter White? And an Albino into the mix.

rabt91
06-22-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm considering breeding two of my hamsters, problem is that although I know they're from different parents (I made sure of that much at the pet store) there's a chance they're both hybrids. They were sold to me as Russian Dwarfs, but the female's dorsal stripe is wider at the shoulders, her arches are dark and the fur under them has coloured hair mixed in with the off white, which I understand to be traits of the winter white, she also has a paler patch at her rump and slight eyebrows, I can't really tell the difference from her head shape and she's not had chance to change colour yet, she's only 4 month old. Does it sound more like a hybrid or just a confused pet shop owner who couldn't tell the difference between winter white and Russian? The boy is albino, and I have no idea how to tell if he's Winter White or Russian Campbells Dwarf without the fur markings, or if he's a hybrid too. Anyway, I'm just wondering if it'd be safe to breed the two of them? I know there can be some complications for winter white mothers giving birth to Campbells babies, I'm just not sure if she is Winter White, or close enough to cause issues. I'll try to get some better pictures up.

LocoRocoPanda
06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
I would never breed pet shop hams anyway. It's very dangerous genetically and most of them are hybrids which leads to health problems.

EDIT: Also it's very hard to tell sometimes whether they're hybrids or not. Unless you get them from a breeder you can never really be 100% sure they're pure

rabt91
06-22-2011, 02:51 PM
That's exactly what I was wondering, I didn't want to risk it unless I knew they were both the breed they were supposed to be, the shop has a good reputation but I'd rather know for certain, so thanks. Any tips on identifying the Albino as Campbells or Winter White?

fluffymunchkins
06-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Firstly, welcome to Hamstercentral :)
Its pretty much impossible to say for certain whether they are hybrids without having the parental history. But as they are from a pet store, its quite likely that they are.

In answer to your question. NO it definitley isn't safe to breed them.
When breeding its important to have correct reasons to so, which should in all case be to produce healthy babies.
With hybrids you can't guarrentee they will be, so its best not to take the risk.
If you'd like to breed I'd suggest you contact a breeder for pure winterwhites or campbells.

rabt91
06-22-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks, I'll be doing that in a little while, think I'll just look after my two little Campbell/Winter White/ whatever's for now. :)

debs
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Looks like Thingumy, and i wouldn't breed theres so many unwanted Hamsters out there :(

KatiePillow
06-22-2011, 11:25 PM
I don't think you can get albino Winter whites either? I think that's a campbells colouring? So sounds like the girl is on the ww side of hybrid, and the boy is on the CRD side of hybrid :)

fluffymunchkins
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Thats a good point Katie, winterwhites can't have red eyes. So if the female has red eyes then its pretty certain that there is at least some campbells in her.

wingzero
10-30-2012, 11:53 AM
I know this is stupidly late, but winter white can have albinism, its just rare, most animals can acquire albinism through natural causes and controlled breeding