PDA

View Full Version : which glue to use?

maxmillan
06-18-2011, 10:44 PM
I have popsicle sticks and want to build some things for Lucky Louie. I bought a non-toxic contact cement by Prestite Green and it's water-based. This was suggested to me by a pet store employee who built an agility course for his rats.

Would anyone suggest I using papermache glue? I believe this is made with flour and water.

I want the least chemical glue and even though the contact cement says, "non toxic" it doesn't comfort me.

Hamtastic
06-18-2011, 11:04 PM
You could try non-toxic children's glue, I guess. I used Elmer's non-toxic wood glue for wood projects personally, but my hams don't really chew the wood.

AliKati
06-18-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure how strong paper mache glue is- in terms of working with wood. But it wouldn't cost a lot to test it out, and it would be edible if the Lucky Louie chews on it. You can find a recipe on line quite easily. Another option is non-toxic craft glue, like PVA glue by Art Attack which is washable and solvent free.

Teddyhamster
06-19-2011, 10:51 AM
You can use Ponal wood glue which you can buy in every DIY-market. ;D

vanilla-yazoo
06-20-2011, 03:11 AM
if the glue is 'solvent free' is it safe?
i have a large bottle of the wilkinsons pva, its solvent free, but keep out of reach of children, i guess its incase they drink the whole thing its 2.5 liter.
just for like, lolly sticks and things.