PDA

View Full Version : Building work and a Chinese hammy

alisont
06-18-2011, 01:10 PM
We are getting the house rewired in July - only just sinking in about the level of possible disruption.

Some say it will not be too bad, others say it will be beyond awful so I don't know what to expect!

My parents who I live with are going away as I have offered to supervise the work, I will be at work as the workmen will not want me under their feet!

I am now wondering how the animals will cope with the noise/dust.

My rabbit and 1 pair of guineas live outdoors so will be fine, my elderly guinea live in a cage in my room - I think I will have to put him outdoors in his old hutch just during the day.

Dudley hammy will need to stay indoors but does anyone know how hamsters react to a lot of work? Knowing Dudley he will stay asleep in the day but he is a sensitive little chap. I shall have to tell the workmen to move him to the other floor of the house when they work in my room. Other option is asking round friends if anyone can have him for the week but I'm not sure I'd want him to go elsewhere.

I am more concerned about my elderly guinea but am hoping Dudley will be ok too. I can't think it will be that dusty but I can put a mozzie cover over his cage and tell them to move him if they need to work in my room.

Think I shall be rather stressed last week in July!!!

Womblehands
06-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I would see is someone could take Dudley for the week, for your peace of mind more than anything.I think the guniea pig would be fine outside thru the day. Or if you have someone who would take both of them..

racinghamster
06-19-2011, 01:21 AM
I agree with womble. We had our house rewired two years ago but they were done by 1:00pm in the afternoon, but they do make a lot of noise drilling holes in plaster walls and ceilings, so my advice would be, get the hamster out of the house! Do you have a shed or a garage? How long are they doing to be in the house did they say? Usually you can ring them and ask? My mother and I are joint tennants and our council home is always having something done to it each year and our next venture is a new bathroom fitted in the next year or so, so I`m planning to take my hamsters and two mice down into the livingroom while the men bang around upstairs!

I know they will be quiter down there in the one room where I will also be, so I can be there with them with the TV on and the door shut. If you even have a nighbour who would be willing to allow you to house the hamster in a spare room for a day? Or a relitive?

Vectis Hamstery
06-19-2011, 04:43 AM
When I had all the windows in my flat replaced one winter, I gave everyone extra bedding (the men had to take out all the windows before fitting any new ones!). I moved my oldies/nervy ones/mum with litter into the quieter area. Obviously I couldn't move all 15+ cages, but the window fitters were lovely and fitted the hamster room's windows first so they didn't get cold. None of the hamsters were at all bothered (except my Syrian who wanted to play with the men!).

alisont
06-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Thanks, have decided my guinea can go in his old hutch outside as it's summer so won't be cold - less stress than trying to take him to work or to a friends.

With Dudley I can ask a friend over the road - all my other friends have dogs/cats/kids! I don't drive so local friend might take him in.

I could ask the sparky to move him up or downstairs as needed to a quieter area.

My Dad suggested the garage but it's so overcrowded in there and we have mice in there so that's no good. I'd worry about risk of disease from the mice.

They will arrive 8.30am daily and takes 6 working days - I will go to work but will be home by 4-5 at the latest.

He seems a good family chap - will get a pre visit so will ask him about the pets - I'd not want them moving the guinea but Dudley's cage is easy to move.

Hopefully I am worrying over nowt but will ask friend, other option would be my pet boarders I guess but he is allready being left there for a week as we are away for a weeks holiday then back 10 days before the rewire! That would also mean getting my Dad to take me there/back.

racinghamster
06-19-2011, 01:25 PM
It can be an upheaval when these things happen, but I would say go for the neighbour/friend as long as they can guarantree him a quiet room for the day until you get home. :) That way he will be well away from the drilling and banging AND....not forgetting the dust flying around from the plaster! :???:

Six days? :eek: Our whole house was done in six hours!!!! A team of maintenance guys arrived at 8:30am and were done by around 2:00pm in the afternoon. That seems a long time to rewire? But then sometimes it depends on the work being done and how many men are doing it I suppose.

alisont
06-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Gosh I thought 6 days was not too bad!!!

How I'd love 6 hours!

It's a 3 bed semi not been touched since it was built electrics wise - we are having loads of new sockets and a new elec shower, outside lighting and the garage rewired plus 2 new fuse boxes. It's the owner of this electrical company and his 2 staff. He will be there for 5 out of the 6 days.

I will see if my friend across the road could have him or I'll make sure he is on the level they are not working on that day and have got some mozzie net that would keep the dust risk lower.

racinghamster
06-20-2011, 11:09 AM
I would definately try and find him seperate lodgings for the week locally. I remember the day our lot turned up. I had a large mouse cage and a gerbil tank in the kitchen and had to sit in there with them until the rest of the house was being done. They actually came in and started drilling a hole for the new heat deterctors in the ceiling while I was in there after me asking them to wait until the animals went back upstairs. I was livid! Then when I finally got the cages back upstairs, the dust was still flying around in the air. :evil:

The problem with workmen is they say they will do one thing and they lose communications and end up falling in your lap. They don`t do what they say they will, so if they tell you they won`t be in a particular room that day and the hamster will be okay, don`t listen to them!

alisont
06-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I will be seeing my friend who lives locally Sat so will ask her if she can have Dudley in the daytimes or for the week but she might be away then. Everyone else I know has cats/young kids/dogs. I do have an office at work to myself that week but don't think I'd want to leave Dudley there overnight and would be pushing my luck at work really as meant to be pet free zone. Maybe I will have to get him to the pet boarders for the week.

Am sure the rabbit/guineas will be fine outside and I'll bring my elderly guinea who lives indoors back in every night and just put him out in the daytime. Don't want to leave Dudley in the garage as that is being rewired too.

I am basically after the first morning leaving the keys with the electrician as I don't want to be there during the work so will sort a secure set up for Dudley - if friends can't help then I'll book him in at the pets hotel for the week - which maybe the best bet as he knows the boarders.