PDA

View Full Version : test run of my handiwork!

Katarina
06-17-2011, 02:48 AM
I've just converted this very old IKEA cupboard we had for over 8 years (my hubby wanted to throw it away!!!) It was badly scratched but with a bit of TLC it became something I am very proud off!:cool:\\:D/

each floor space is 98cm x 42cm (not as deep as I'd like it, but it is still better then the shop bought cage they had before)

I am not finished with furnishing it yet, I have so far made the swing on the top floor and am planning to make a tunnel as well. All the wood I am using is from an Oak tree from my friend - he is a golf course keeper and my supplier! ;) He is keeping an eye out for any interesting bits from the safe woods, like twisted roots and so on.

I'm using this as a play pen at the moment, until I manage to finish furnishing it (hopefully I have hammies in there permanently tonight!)

It will be for my two syrian ladies - Honey, she is on top and Bickie which is at the bottom. Both will have the jar full of sand and a wodent wheel. I will be scatter feeding them to make it a bit more interesting for them. Also I have a small pots with some millet spray in them for them, I just need to figure out how to attach them.

The bottles are attached with the help of a loofah ring which was part of a hamster hanging toy which none of my hammies took interest in.

I'm still thinking that it might need something else... any ideas?

emma and button
06-17-2011, 02:58 AM
The cage looks very nice! well done on making that your self!
But one thing is oak wood okay for hamsters, because of the tannin levels in the bark? (although, looking at your pic it doesnt look like oak, it looks more like hazel)

Katarina
06-17-2011, 03:19 AM
definitely an oak, it had few leaves still on when brought to me! ;) I've been soaking it in boiling water and scrubbing it for three days, then I baked it in the oven (twice) for an 1.5 hours on 110'C. It smelled at the beginning but now has almost no odor. I've looked on several sites and they all agreed on Oak being a good wood for small rodents. I've found it on here, too! http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/housing/1650-what-wood-use.html

emma and button
06-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Ahh okay :) i was just checking cos i dont know my self about safe woods and just stick to hazel :) it does look wicked though XD

Katarina
06-17-2011, 03:39 AM
Ahh okay :) i was just checking cos i dont know my self about safe woods and just stick to hazel :) it does look wicked though XD

Thank you! it was really hard to decide which wood to use, it was giving me a headache all that research! Lol. But now I know and have plenty more so now I'm planning to make toys and another two cages for my two male syrians :)
Now I'm on a lookout on a cheep furniture to convert :)

Katarina
06-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Oh, BTW, How do I keep the door secure on this? any ideas? I tried the sliding bolt things but they were too stiff... Does anyone have an idea? I've got an elastic band and a wedge of wood between the handles for now, but ... I can't have it there for ever and am stuck for Ideas.

Gillzy
06-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Looks good!

Ooo, ooo, ooo, do I spy an ikea cookie jar? You using that as a sand bath? Is it a good size (for what looks like a bit syrian)?

Hamtastic
06-17-2011, 04:01 PM
What about putting something over the two handles, like a tight ring sliding over the two of them so they can't be pulled apart until you slide it off? (imagine stretching a rubber band around both) Another thing is to add a rotating stopper at the top where the door corners are, one for each door. Close a door, slide the stopper panel thing out over the door corner, and the door won't open.

Katarina
06-18-2011, 02:20 AM
Looks good!

Ooo, ooo, ooo, do I spy an ikea cookie jar? You using that as a sand bath? Is it a good size (for what looks like a bit syrian)?

yep, it is! I saw someone mention it on here and I thought what a great idea! instead of them pee-ing on the wall they pee on the glass which will wash off easier! it is half full of sand and they use it as a bath room. wash, then take a wee, then bath in it yuck!!!

Katarina
06-18-2011, 02:24 AM
What about putting something over the two handles, like a tight ring sliding over the two of them so they can't be pulled apart until you slide it off? (imagine stretching a rubber band around both) Another thing is to add a rotating stopper at the top where the door corners are, one for each door. Close a door, slide the stopper panel thing out over the door corner, and the door won't open.

that is a great idea! I will try to figure out the rotating latch and how to attach it on the shelf rather than the top, so there is no chance of honey ending up in bickies enclosure because the door gave in! I'm a bit panicky about that one! They tried to open the door last night, but i jammed the door with two strips of wood so they couldn't do it. :)

cutehammies
06-18-2011, 09:24 AM
It looks great! You should be very proud of it!
Hamtastic's idea of a rotating latch sounds like a brilliant idea!

You were asking what else you could put in for them? Well it looks really good already, but I cam up with maybe a small tissue box as a hideaway, perhaps some hay for a little grassy area, or maybe some tunnels?

Your hamster ladies look v happy in their new home

Sammybingo
06-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Looks mega! Very impressed :) I wish I had the skills to do something like this, I could have done it over the next few weeks. Alas! Giant shelves bought, obsession with looking at hideous ornaments on ebay commenced ;)

I like the door swinging door stopper idea too. I'd probably put something through the handles still though, but I'm paranoid :D

Katarina
06-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Looks mega! Very impressed :) I wish I had the skills to do something like this, I could have done it over the next few weeks. Alas! Giant shelves bought, obsession with looking at hideous ornaments on ebay commenced ;)

I like the door swinging door stopper idea too. I'd probably put something through the handles still though, but I'm paranoid :D

yep, I am putting in two magnets one on top and the other at the bottom and the rotating latch in the middle - there is 5mm gap between doors, so I'm going to put one in between them to spin - horizontal to lock, vertical to open :) Because of the gap, things between handles doesn't work so much as it still opens a bit - enough for the top hammie to get to the bottom if she tries but not enough to escape! Which is worse I think, as they would end up fighting.

I'm working on the hideout and the tunnel - it will be all made by me from the oakwood and paper mashe. I'll post more pics when i'm done ;)

littlemonster
06-18-2011, 01:20 PM
wow Katarina! well done on your new cages, they look amazing! looks like your hammys are enjoying it too :)