PDA

View Full Version : help me with Molly

flogging_molly
04-10-2005, 01:25 PM
I got my second hamster yesterday and she's great, she's so gentle and calm, I was able to pick her straight out of the cage and she woudn't freak, anyways today she's totally different, really timid and doesn't want to be picked up.

please help :cry: :cry:

SnuggleHam
04-10-2005, 01:39 PM
First off if you just got your hamster yesterday you really should leave her alone to get used to her cage for at least a day or two, I'd say preferably for 2 days. Put her cage in a quiet place and leave her to get used to the new smells and sounds, and figure out where everything is for her in her cage.

Playing with a hamster and handling it too much right after its move could result in stress and possibly bring on Wet Tail and that’s the last thing anybody wants. I would suggest respecting your hamster's space. If your hamster doesn’t want to be picked up then don’t force it.

Try talking to your hamster through the cage, offering treats is a good way to get your hamster use to your scent and presence. I would also advice you approach Molly on her own terms when she is already awake, you don’t want to become a bad experience to the hamster.

Still incase you do have a hamster with a case of Wet Tail be sure to keep an eye on her, make sure she's waking up at the normal time to run on her wheel, and that she is drinking and eating etc. I don’t want to alarm you, but not that long ago I brought home a hamster, it seemed happy and active, the next day I didn’t see it at all, In fact it didn’t do much for a couple days, finally I checked on it and found it in fact did have Wet Tail. Are her ears back all the time? Does she walk around hunched over etc.? Most likely she is feeling a bit timid and overwhelmed and needs time to settle in.

Please post some pictures when you can :)

babyboos
04-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Hello Debbie, please be assured this is perfectly normal behaviour for a new little one.

I am going through a similiar experience myself at the moment with my new hamster Cunning Ham. She came from a breeder so was very tame and used to being handled. She happpily let me play with her when I brought her home and all that night but the next day she developed a shy complex and is only now getting over it.

You have to respect their space when they first come to live with you and don't be worried if a night goes past when you don't even get the chance to touch them. The first week or so is a very important time in a new hamster's home. We must ensure we keep stress levels to a minimum, as they have delicate digestive systems.

If you are not feeding a hamster food with added pre-biotic (such as Harry Hamster) then can I suggest you obtain some and supplement her diet with it. Candace has really highlighted a major concern in new hamsters. Wet Tail is a dreadful condition and usually life-threatening. Her story is very sad and not totally uncommon. All of her lovely new furballs are fine though thank goodness. The source of the hamster and the conditions they were used to living in can have a major influence certainly.

Candace has given you some great advice. As she said give Molly a few nights to settle in offering treats etc. through the cage bars and open door if possible. Hold her ball up to her door if you can let Molly enter it this way. Sadly this is not possible certainly with cages that only open on the top.

Above all never open her house or poke your fingers in it. If she wants to hide then respect her wishes.

Talking to her you will soon find she starts to come out to see who and what you are. When she does gently touch her back only for a few days - don't be alarmed if she seems to flinch away from your touch at first, and run and hide in her house. When she doesn't immediately try and run into her house anymore it is time to try and hold her :D

Some people find it easier to then allow their hamster to enter an empty toilet roll tube and then let them walk out of this onto their hand. If you prefer just to pick her up be positive and use both hands - you may need to take the top off your cage to allow you to do this. Hesitating will make her nervous and may cause you to receive a nip. Try to hold her over the bed for the first few days as baby hamsters are notoriously like wet soap!

Only take her out for a few minutes and slowly build up the time over a week. You will find if you cup her in both hands and hold her near your heart it will help to soothe her. Talk throughout all handling episodes and always offer a scrummy treat when you return her to her cage.

Seriously you will soon have a little Molly coming to the door begging to come out whenever you call her name, like happily my furball is. A little patience really does pay off with these guys. Doing it this way they really seem to loose their nervousness a lot quicker than if we rush in and pick them up straight away against their will.

Hey it is hard to believe sometimes that I only got Cunning Ham on the 29th of March, she has come on so quickly. Having a hobby breeder hamster does help as her parents have great temperments certainly but this method has worked for me with rescues of all ages and the occassional petstore purchased hamster.

ham ham 1
04-12-2005, 11:32 AM
I agree with babyboo and candace. Let the little one be for a few days and talk sweet to the new baby. He/ she must be afraid remember he/she was taken away from mom at about 4 weeks old and tossed in to a new place. And now went through it again. Treats are a wonderful way to befriend your little one. but not to much or hammie will get a upset tummy ! :-& Just be calm and your little one will be loving you in no time :D .. Please share your hammie with us once you get pics!

Mine will be posted Soon :D So i can share my sweet little hammie with you all !