PDA

View Full Version : Hammies Talk??

Beowolf72
06-18-2007, 08:29 PM
Well, we recently adopted a Peral White Winter White that is about 4 weeks old. What we were wondering about is that when we take her out of her cage, she clicks. It's not the teeth grinding sound, it's little clicks with some small squeeks in there.

We thought that she might be upset, but her ears are up, and she is running around on us and everywhere. So we were wondering if Hammies talk, or is that just the sound she makes if she is happy or satisfied.

Thanks.

gizmo
06-18-2007, 09:26 PM
No, that sounds because she's scared.

suga
06-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Both of my hamsters talk - one squeaks (what seems like) constantly. She chats away when she's in her cage, out of her cage and in her sleep! The other squeaks when she wants out and when she barralling around.

So maybe they do talk - although what they are saying is anyone's guess :-)

Christine Yule
06-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Do hammies talk? Absolutely! Some hamster books say they don't but that's simply not true. I read on book that listed the various sounds of syrians and what they mean. I thought, I wonder how they know for sure what the hamster is trying to say?

I would say that Syrians make the most audible sounds. Dwarves make sounds but communicate also by touching noses, eyes etc. For example, when I put one of my Dwarves on the bed and lie down, the hamster will come over and touch my nose with his nose and then take off playing. In another minute he will run back to me and touch my nose or eyes again! I have seen two Dwarves do this with each other and I think it is so cute that my Dwarf thinks I am a big hamster! I wonder what he is saying to me and I also wonder what he thinks I am saying back! :lol:

Syrians "bark" sometimes. It kind of sounds like a cross between a sneezing sound and a hiccup. A female will call to a male when she is in season and visa versa. But, sometimes I think a hamster does it just because they are feeling happy. If a hamster barks, sometimes I can get them to keep doing it by saying a one syllable word like "Hi" immediately after they bark. Try it! You can talk "Hamster" talk too! :lol:

Oh boy. Sometimes I think I have spent way too much time with my hamsters. :roll:

Hamstermama

souffle
06-20-2007, 05:15 AM
They sure do seem to chatter and chunter and squeak, The most vocal ones seem to be the pups in the nest. Our Sonni comes come sort of chattering when we go to take her out. I think she gets excited!!!

Holly
06-20-2007, 05:20 AM
A female will call to a male when she is in season and visa versa.

We experienced this for the first time recently when Caramel came into season in the same room as Mocha - she was "calling" to him in a very urgent and loud squeak and I think he was doing it back! We had to move her and they both then calmed down.

The funny thing is that she started doing it the minute I switched off the light and not before - I had read that females often don't come into season until the lights go out and in our case that seemed to be true.

Christine Yule
06-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Holly,

Females come into season after dark? That's interesting. I have never heard of that but I suppose it makes perfect sense. The males don't get up until after dark anyway. :D

Hamstermama