PDA

View Full Version : Help with price? =/

minky-doo
06-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I'm mega excited because I've found a breeder in Coventry who has 2 campbells ready in July, I can't reserve them yet because I need to wait to see if my boyfriend has been offered a new job in bath. (In which case I'll try and find a breeder there!)
I was just getting excited and told my boyfriend who asked how much they'd cost...but I have no idea and to be honest I'm reluctant to ask the breeder in case she thinks I am only fussed about getting them cheap or something when I'm just curious so I know how much money to bring and so I can let my boyfriend know haha! (He's getting them for me)

Also they have been bred from show hamsters, so that could add to price.

I know pets at home sell Campbells for £8.50 each but do you think the price will be that different for show Campbells? I have no idea!
Just a bit too shy to ask and curious...!

souffle
06-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I think I know the breeder and I imagine they will cost somewhere between £5-8 each as that is what the NHC breeders would normally charge. At a show you would pay £8 plus including a carry box.
Oh and just ask her how much - she won't mind at all :)
Large chain pets stores won't sell you pure bred animals that are tame like these will be remember. They will likely be hybrids from a pet store like this

SnickersTheFirst
06-05-2011, 01:13 PM
I want to say I paid £12.50 for Oscar from an NHC breeder but I honestly can't remember! Even if you end up paying more than a pet shop, it's worth every penny. Oscar is the only one out of my lot that hasn't needed to visit a vets. :)

minky-doo
06-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Whew okay, I was starting to make up ridiculous figures in my head haha. Thank you!

lisab
06-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I would ask. from a breeders pov i dont mind people asking me.

Show bred hams shouldnt be that much more difference in price. If a ham came from a nhc member i wouldnt mind paying around £10. but if it was a pet breeder i would say around £5. but thats just my opinion on it :)

minky-doo
06-05-2011, 01:14 PM
I want to say I paid £12.50 for Oscar from an NHC breeder but I honestly can't remember! Even if you end up paying more than a pet shop, it's worth every penny. Oscar is the only one out of my lot that hasn't needed to visit a vets. :)

I agree it would be worth any extra cost than a pet shop! Because they'd be healthier, happier and friendlier (I'm hoping!)

laura
06-07-2011, 07:26 AM
I think it's more than reasonable to ask how much the hamster is so that you know how much cash to bring with you when buying them. It would probably be stranger if you didn't ask them :P

I agree with everyone: my hybrids cost me a lot in money and pain. One of them had a £100 operation (he seems mostly fine now but he had it for a while and I think it was bad for him to live with). The other died at 9 months old which was very upsetting, as he had always been very defensive, territorial and he would get so irritated at times which now I know was due to his diabetes.