PDA

View Full Version : Help building wooden cages

supermum
06-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Neil has decided he would like a wooden cage for Cordelia, I like the ones I have seen but I think if we made our own we could build them ontop of each other and have them front opening so hopefully cleaning will be easier (or at least in my head haha)

I was thinking maybe front sliding doors. I ran this idea to Neil who is horrified but willing to try it (anything for a quiet life) However its only on the condition I figure out what we would need.

Sooo I need help, what would we need? How would we make sliding doors? How would we ensure good ventilation? I was thinking it might be easier to buy a book case or chest of drawers to convert, am I right or would getting sheets of wood and building from scratch be as easy?

None of us are that good at diy (infact in school I made a mess of making a birdbox lol ) I think Neil would be good enough though and if it dont work we can use what we get to make a playpen instead so we have lost nothing. So anyone made one? Any tips? Any help will be appreciated (by me at least :mad: )

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
06-05-2011, 08:16 AM
I was about to ask the same thing about sliding doors! :D Im building a wooden cage too, I thought of building it out of a bookcase but it is so difficult finding one that is deep enough so im using a big bit of plywood painted with a non toxic plastic coating to make it easy to clean and building a rectangular box with a large meshed windows on the right and left sides and a 3inch lip on the front so that it can be filled with shavings :) I was thinking about using perspex sheets for the sliding doors but i guess they'd have to be put on runners or something? im not sure :/

8piggie3hammies
06-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Hi supermum i think your on TGPF? I'm 4piggiepigs (tho i have 8 lol) I have mad my hamster cage using conti board ( i used and old wardrobe and cut it to the size's i wanted but B&Q sell conti-board pretty cheap.

I used this thread as inspiration, there are also link's on how to make sliding door's but i am not having door's on top and the bottom on will be wired.

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/15097-diy-project-4-new-cages.html

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac48/lorrie2210/utf-8BSU1HMDAzNzMtMjAxMTA2MDMtMDk1NC5qcGc.jpg

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac48/lorrie2210/utf-8BSU1HMDAzNzQtMjAxMTA2MDMtMDk1NC5qcGc.jpg

supermum
06-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Hiya, thank you for that, yes im on tgpf same name as here lol, im not very creative me! I will get some wood for it :D I am still buying Cordelia a bigger cage at the weekend but I want to be able to make them each a nice big cage. I did consider c & c but obviously meshing it, but I cant think of a safe design so that went out the window quick lol x

8piggie3hammies
06-07-2011, 03:55 AM
The conti board i was looking at was 1m x 60cm which would be a good sized base as i used an old wardrobe each inside measurement is now x 38 x38 i would of liked it wider but it is still a very good size. I also bought balsa wood of ebay to make toy's to go in ( i go a bit crazy when i have a creative project on the go lol once i made my c and c cage i learnt to sew and have made liners and toys for my guinea's) The hamster's are actually my daughter's but its not like she can do what i am she's only 11 tho she does help.

I think wickes do mesh grid's only £14.99 for 16/17panel's
I would say go to bootsale's or look in free ad's and freecycle, you may get a unit you can adapt for cheap or free I got a box of jenga for £1 from a bootsale im using them as legs for toy's i also got whack a ball set for a child for 20p i chucked the ball's and hammer and have a nice little hamster toy

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac48/lorrie2210/utf-8BSU1HMDAzNDctMjAxMTA1MjktMTI1MC5qcGc.jpg

supermum
06-07-2011, 04:30 AM
Your very clever! I have jenga hmmm wonder if the kids will notice if I use it, I never see it out anyways lol. I will have to get some of that wood too as will need to make platforms and bridges and things, I will show him when he is home from work what you have done, I do have an old chest of drawers but im not sure it would give enough ground space for a syrian.

I am not clever at all and have to rely on Neil for this so knowing him it will take a few weeks to get him moving, then he will annoy me by becomming so engrossed we dont see him lol, I want to plasticote Bluebells bit pink, I dont know if I should just do the frame or just her bits inside. I want super girlie and bright though (I am a saddo haha I want pink piggie things to but im not allowed as they boys :( )

cutehammies
06-17-2011, 07:51 AM
I was just wondering whether you has your heart set on sliding doors, cos you could still have your front opening access, which sounds great so you can stack on top of each other, but maybe you could just have opening doors? Like two glass doors which open like a regular cupboard that might be a bit easier to make with just hinges at either side?

Not that I'm good at DIY but I'm just imaginging that if someone said I had to make sliding or opening doors, I'd opt for opening But if you can do sliding go for it!! :)

Katarina
06-17-2011, 08:03 AM
I've got two front opening doors on mine, the only problem is you have to find something to make it hard for them to open. I think I need to go and buy a stong magnet and stick it on with a glue. http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/17483-test-run-my-handiwork.html - that is my cage I just finished - just need to add more stuff to it. :)