PDA

View Full Version : Roborovski with bum hair missing..

racinghamster
06-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Hi all. One of my roborovski males seems to be slowly losing the fur above his tail which started as a small patch of fur and now looks bigger and worse. He was bitten badly in this area last year by his cagemate and they were seperated. The wounds healed up, but now his skin looks very dry and flakey in this area. I know it`s not mites as these tend to cause a lot of itchiness and cuts/hairloss around the face and neck, which he does`nt have.

I`m at a loss as to what this might be? Maybe a fungal infection? A delayed reaction to where his skin was damaged by the bites? I don`t know because this happened a while ago.

It does`nt bother him in the slightest and he`s as lively as anything and eating very well indeed. His brother has no symptoms and they are seperatly housed in Savic Rody tanks.

Anyone seen this before in their robos? I`ll have my vet take a look if I feel it needs attention, but it`s not raw or itchy. His tail is fully furred and not affected. x

souffle
06-12-2007, 10:21 AM
It may be that as it was damaged and there is scar tisuue there that it is the first place to suffer from age related fur loss. Glad he seems healthy otherwise but let us know what the vet says.

Christine Yule
06-12-2007, 07:17 PM
My male Roborovski, Billy, had his bum bitten by his cage mate. I separated them and his bum healed up. That was a long time ago and the skin around his tail is also hairless and looks a wee bit swollen and shiney but I determined that it was likely just scar tissue. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.

I don't think he knows his wee bum looks a bit like a baboon's bum and I'm not going to tell him, either! :lol:

Hamstermama

racinghamster
06-13-2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks for your replies! A baboons bum, now that made me giggle! :lol: Yes, I would say it looks very much like scar tissue and it`s dry, not weapy or red. What I`ll do is, watch things closely and if it stays the same, I`ll know that`s what it is. If it starts to spread upwards or he loses more fur, he`ll be taken in to my vet to discuss probably causes.

Both my roborovskis are lovely lads and came from babyboos on here last year and they are thriving. x