PDA

View Full Version : Please welcome my new little Chinese ham

shazzy
05-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Some of you may have seen my other thread about a little chinese that had been in the adoption area of Pets at Home for about five weeks, and how I had decided to take it home

Well she came home with me today :) I should have just adopted her all those weeks ago when I first saw her, but I had never thought about getting a chinese ham. I have read quite alot of threads on this forum about them since and they sounded lovely little pets to have. I really thought she'd be gone when I popped in on Saturday, and when she wasnt I thought about it a while and decided I should get her.

She's in a Duna Multy, which she has been happily exploring today. She hasnt been bothered with me pottering about by her cage, just been too busy zooming around. She found her wheel and hasnt moved from it since - first running and now sleeping in it for the last 2 hours!

Not fully decided on her name - my options are narrowed down to Bonnie, Evie, and Suki - what do you guys think? Or if you have any other ideas you are welcome :)

Below are some pics - all a bit blurred as she was so fast :)

Its been a happy weekend for me as my friend also adopted the litle 2 year old Gerbil they had in there - I had been fretting about her for weeks too, but she's settling nicely into her nice new home.

Anyway, hope you like her and look forward to sharing our story as we get to know each other

shazzy
05-30-2011, 10:10 AM
P.S you can see in the second pic that she has some fur missing on the side of her face. She also has some missing one of her legs, so I suspect she had been in with another Chinese and they had faught, so she had been brought back..bless her

SnickersTheFirst
05-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Aww, she's gorgeous! :D I like Bonnie best, can't wait to hear more.

Wow, a 2 year old gerbil? Was it a return or had it been in store for that long? Glad she got a home too! :D

shazzy
05-30-2011, 10:13 AM
I like Bonnie too actually :)

The Gerbil had been brought in...it had been owned by someone for a while and they didnt lok after it very well, so a friend of theirs took it but couldnt keep it as they were renting, so brought it in to PAH. My friend's Gerbil passed away 2 months ago so she had a nice big spare cage, which she is now enjoying

SnickersTheFirst
05-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Ah, I see. It's a shame this gerbil is so old otherwise it would be lovely to bond her with a pup. :p

Gizmodo ^_^
05-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Awwwwww what a cute little girl :D
Love the name Bonnie, short,simple yet cute :D

Humphrey Furball
05-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Aww she's lovely, she has a friendly-looking little face :D I like all the names you listed, but Suki is my fave - welcome to her anyway.

PS like the wheel, great colour, looks fab with the cage colour; very designer-ham!

LocoRocoPanda
05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Awww she's lovely. I like Suki. She really is adorable. XD

amyXlovesXhamstersX
05-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Aww shes gorgeous :)
I like Suki!

rockster
05-30-2011, 11:33 AM
beautiful!! <3 I like suki x

souffle
05-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Aww what an adorable little girl she is and she looks so pleased with her new home and wheel. I like Suki. It sounds sort of Chinese and suits her :)

fluffymunchkins
05-30-2011, 11:55 AM
Sooo sweet :D
I think Suki is a very suiting name x

shazzy
05-31-2011, 12:36 AM
She really loves her wheel - she was up in it again this morning and was sleeping in it when I left. Hoping she'll find a more suitabe place to settle soon - I was hopeful when she disappeared into the tissue box for a while last night!

She was very good this morning. I offered her a tiny bit of broccoly and she was eating it from my fingers, and even put a tiny paw on my finger whilst eating :) what a brave girl

fluffymunchkins
05-31-2011, 01:16 AM
Sounds like you've found a smashing little girl :mrgreen:
Bacardi rarely takes food from me, but if I leave it in his bowl it'll be gone by the the time I blink :mad:

shazzy
05-31-2011, 01:49 AM
Well I dose my broccoly with a magical hamster charming potion ;) one piece is enough to have Darcey like putty in your hands, and it looks to have the same effect with this little one!

thelittleteacup
05-31-2011, 02:57 AM
shes lovely :) another vote for suki! x

Tish36
05-31-2011, 03:55 AM
She is adorable :)

stellanova1
05-31-2011, 06:01 AM
Awww she is lovely! I also think Suki!! :D

racinghamster
05-31-2011, 06:05 AM
Lovely photos shazzy and she sounds as though she`s loving her new home with you, well done! :) Is that an 8" inch wheel she has? It looks a nice size for her. I think I saw these wheels on eequinefeline? Regular silent spinners are great too if you ever need a replacement. ;)

shazzy
05-31-2011, 06:12 AM
Think i'm settling on Suki, I'll try it out - thanks everyone :)

It's a 7inch wheel racinghamster - she runs in it fine, she gets up quite a speed! It is a little noisy though so I am going to try to oil it. She seems to like that it is slightly enclosed. If the oil doesnt help I will try the silent spinner :)

RachK
05-31-2011, 06:58 AM
Shaz she is lovely. Great that you brought her home :) I like the name Suki. :)

Chrissie
05-31-2011, 09:20 AM
She's lovely, I used to have two named Noodle and Beansprout.

racinghamster
05-31-2011, 09:22 AM
I would definately try a little vaseline on either end of your spindle shazzy. I recently done this with my wodent wheel and it works a treat. Vegetable oil is also fine, but I feel vaseline is better. You only need a spot.

The panel on the front may also `rattle` so placing a few small flat pieces of thin card between the panel and the wheel might stop the rattle? Just slide the card in-between the gaps? Might help! :) I found that the Trixie wheel I had rattled like that but I bought Boris a wodent wheel and it`s made such a difference.

shazzy
05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks racinghamster. I've put some oil on it and it does sound quieter. Wheels are a right bug bare for me as I have one of every variety - only 2 hamsters mind :)

wofunny
05-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Awwwh! Congratulations :D

She looks very sweet, and she sounds like a very loving character! x

shazzy
06-03-2011, 01:09 AM
Just thought I'd share a little photo of the little one stuffing her face :)

She's quite timid still, but when she is out she isnt bothered by my presence and will come up and sniff my hand (and give it a little taste). I tried storking her with a finger last night and she started off zooming off at the slightest touch, but after a few times she just flinched and didnt really run.

So I dont think she's too scared, just would prefer not to be touched! I took this photo with my phone right next to her and she wasnt fussed

I'll keep at it :)

SnickersTheFirst
06-03-2011, 02:15 AM
I love how every Chinese hamster seems to look different. :mad: She looks nothing like Bailey (mind you he's moulting).

She's very sweet and it sounds as though she will tame up nicely. :)