PDA

View Full Version : Long Haired Hamsters and wheels?

Holly
05-27-2007, 01:56 AM
There is a possibility (trying not to get too excited for now as there is a possibility this won't happen) that we will be getting a long haired female Syrian. I'm just wondering about wheels for a LH? I know it's the males that grow the longer coat so will it be ok to give her a wodent wheel in her cage?

Out of interest how would a male LH hamster be with a wodent wheel?

Jane
05-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Hmm, I think they would be fine with a wodent wheel...I don't see why not? Are you saying incase their hair gets trapped or for another reason? In the wodent wheel I don't think there is really anywhere their hair could get stuck?

(btw, Charlie loves his ww :D)

Holly
05-27-2007, 02:04 AM
I'm glad Charlie likes it :)

What's worrying me is that the hair could get trapped in the central spindle. I feel the wodent is probably the safest wheel out there in that respect but wonder if it's really safe enough for a LH.

Jane
05-27-2007, 03:54 AM
I guess it would depend how big the ham is and how sticky out the hair is..like when Charlie runs, theres about an inch between his back and the middle bit, but if he was bigger and had longer hair maybe it would get caught...what if you buy the next size up wodent wheel, then there will be lots of room to spare between the hams back and the middle bit...but then you have a massive wheel....hmmmmm...I'm not very helpful :P

pophammy
05-27-2007, 04:06 AM
Our LH female Red had a Jumbo Rolly and was fine on it! It did not have a large spindle across the middle so there was not back-rub problems. She now has the Wodent Wheel you gave us and loves it! Her back doesn't touch the spindle and she is a large hamster (over 200g at the last weigh-in).

Basia
05-27-2007, 06:20 AM
I think a wodent wheel would be fine Holly, the spindle doesn't actually turn - one of the advantages of them I think. Both of my long-haired females are fluffy rather than the very long hair of the boys. The other big advantage of the wodent wheels is that they are large. If you female (fingers and everything crossed you get her) is anything like Berry she will need a large wheel! :)

Holly
05-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Oh good, I can use the spare one we have then :) ...I love wodents and wouldn't want to deprive any of our hams of one really. I know the spindle doesn't turn but it was the bits at the side where it meets the bits that do turn that worried me. I suspect they are just too high up which is brilliant 8)

souffle
05-28-2007, 02:20 AM
I know that many breeders do not give LH males wheels. Towy Vale accidentally put their LH white Puffling in a wheel cage and he had to be cut off the wheel as his coat got tangled. I guess it is very important to get the right type for a LH male, ensure it is large enough and preferably has no spindle. You can get stands for the jumbo Rolly which would fit those categories although it could catch in the end I guess and also as long as the fur could not get in those spindle edges of the wodent wheel it should be fine. Perhaps one of the type that is like an excercise ball on a stand would be good as it has no spindle at all? Some males are VERY long coated and for showing a breeder would not clip as this is desirable however if the hammy was a pet I would trim the coat if it seemed to be too long rather than not giving a wheel.

Bailey-Benji
05-29-2007, 01:56 PM
My long haired male Benji (R.I.P xx) had a tufty coat. He had a roly jumbo wheel, it was fine. Occasionally I found little bits of Benjifluff in the spindle, but not a lot.

I hope you get your syrian and that she enjoys the wodent wheel.

Holly
06-01-2007, 02:14 PM
The news, it seems, is good :) ...looks like we'll be getting her next weekend at the Northern Hamster Club show :x 8)

souffle
06-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Oh exciting and Paws is brushing up his fur there!!!! What a shame we wont be there. Is she a LH cream then Holly? Black eyes or red?

Holly
06-02-2007, 04:19 AM
She's a LH black-eyed cream and she's 7 weeks old :)

We are very excited - we've got her a Gabber Rex (we've had it since the end of March!) and a wodent wheel and will get everything else sorted for her this week. If I have time I'm going to make another of my "show bins" to bring her home in - then we can transfer the bedding she's travelled in into her cage to help her get settled.

I've just got to decide where she's going to live now. I'd like her in my room but don't know how Mocha will handle that. They'll be on opposite sides of the room but is it likely to upset them both? She'll be the first female we've had so I haven't had to think about that before.

Basia
06-02-2007, 06:25 AM
Fantastic news Holly! :D
When I thought Sid was Sybil he/she was upstairs and Basil downstairs. By the time I got Fuzzy the small bedroom had become my hamster home and when I realised I had probably bought a girl I remember posting my worries about her effect on the boys well being! I was reassured and keep both my females near the males and they seem fine. When they are in their balls they all follow one another around. All my hamsters seem familiar with the smells of the others and it doesn't seem to upset them at all. When I've had new ones it has caused lots of sniffing and licking my clothes and the playpen toys, etc. but after a couple of days they don't seem to take any notice.
Good luck - exciting \:D/

Holly
06-02-2007, 06:34 AM
That's great, Basia - thanks :)

I'd really like to keep her in my room as there is space (I moved the ww's out ages ago as they are very noisy and kept me awake but I'm fine with Mocha) although I do have an alternative spot for her if necessary.

souffle
06-02-2007, 06:56 AM
It doesn't matter what side of the room she is on Holly the males will smell her. From her point of view it is fine as it means she will smell male and you will know when she starts coming into season regularly and be able to predict when to mate her however the boys can get a bit errr frisky with the hands when they smell her. Mentally though it does not seem to other them much as they are just as friendly :lol: