PDA

View Full Version : Roly Jumbo Hamster Wheel

Pouchy
05-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Just thought you'd like to know that my hamster has broken the yellow plastic spindle of this wheel after only one month. Strangely it snapped sideways rather than vertically.

Considering emailling the manufacturer soon to let them know about this problem.

Have fixed up the wheel with some bits and pieces and it works well. The bits and pieces are all metal so should last a bit longer but will probably be more squeaky.

Holly
05-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Our Winter White's managed to break the non-jumbo version of the Rolly after about 3 weeks - it was the yellow spindle that went on it as well. Wonder if it's a common breaking point?

Pang
05-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Make sure you contact Savic. My ladder broke and the clip for my bottle broke. They sent me a whole bottle free (I only asked for the clip)and also a replacement ladder.

souffle
05-19-2007, 05:16 AM
How strange. I wonder if it was a bad batch or a plastic problem as we have had 5 jumbo rolly some of which have been on the go for 4 years and none have ever broken. I would definitly contact Savic

Bailey-Benji
05-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Bailey broke her Roly jumbo spindle in a week. I fixed it up with the axel from another wheel, however she now has a comfort wheel. Doesn't seem to get on with Rolys!

Benji had a roly jumbo too, his lasted the 5-6 months I had my gorgeous boy. I still have it, but didn't have the heart to give it to anyone else.

Pouchy
05-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Good news. Savic are going to send me some spindles in the post.

Great service or what? :D :D :D

Holly
05-21-2007, 08:09 AM
That's fantastic 8)

Wish I'd done that :roll: ...I'm not sure what I did with the broken Rolly we had - I have a feeling I chucked it :cry:

Pouchy
05-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Savic also said they are going to look into making the spindle stronger. I hope they do.

Justine
05-24-2007, 05:22 AM
The yellow spindle broke in exactly the same way for me aswell. What is the email address you contacted them on?

Pouchy
05-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Its on the Savic website as below

[email protected]

Best of luck.

Emms
05-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Glad its worked out, nice to see a company that cares about their customers!

Pouchy
06-02-2007, 05:33 AM
Received the extra spindles from Savic today but have got a perfect set up for the wheel without uing a brass bolt and an aluminium sleeve which works as well or better than the actual spindle provided. There are 3 spindles, 1 of which I will keep just in case meaning that there are 2 available if any one wants one. Contact me asap if you are interested. To make it fair, 1 spindle per person.

Justine
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the email, think I will contact them also. :)
(Even though I don't use the wheel anymore, will be nice for a rescue to have, if they send me some too).

babyboos
06-07-2007, 02:50 PM
what refreshing news
glad they are such a responsible company
I like the Savic wheels and though they have been well nibbled over the years none of my axles ever broke

racinghamster
06-12-2007, 10:07 AM
This is very interesting! I`ve been trying to make a metal spindle for a spare Rolly wheel too but can`t find the right materials to do it with?

Pouchy, would you be kind enough to tell me what you used to go through the central hole in this wheel and how you attached it? I wanted to start using Rolly wheels for my two roborovski boys but one of my wheels does`nt have a yellow spindle. :(

Pouchy
06-12-2007, 11:02 AM
The attachment is a metal bolt(about 5cms long, about 4mm in diameter) which has an aluminium sleeve over it which is then pushed onto the wheel. Two small metal plates hold the bolt onto the bars with the help of a nut while another nut holds the wheel on the bolt. You could probably manage with a large bolt only without the aluminium sleeve but whether it would be totally effective I do not know. The bolt is waxed with candle wax to stop it squeaking. However as the device is all metal there is some vibration but not too much.
I have three spindles from Savic , if the above is a bit confusing, so I could send you one if you like.

My arrangement is made from bits and pieces from the garage.

I have another unused 9 inch plastic wheel which broke that has been made good with the help of my old Meccano set.

Pouchy
06-12-2007, 11:04 AM
If you want to go this route make the bolt either brass or stainless steel if you can so that it won't rust in normal use.

Pouchy
06-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Sorry one last thing. Try and find a bolt with the finest thread you can as its easier to wax.

racinghamster
06-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Have sent you a PM Pouchy! :)