PDA

View Full Version : best home for a chinese?

lau200
05-16-2007, 09:42 AM
i've spotted a chinese at my local rescue centre and i swore i'd never have another chinese aftre chan died but i'm really thinking about taking him or her.

what would be the best cage for a chinese?

thanks

souffle
05-17-2007, 12:18 AM
I would say a bin or tank type like a Gabber would be best. With them being very small and agile bars are not so suitable. They may be able to squeeze through some types of bars. Something you can get a nice deep layer of bedding in so the hammy can burrow. Hope you decide to take him. Sounds like he needs a nice home with an experienced person like yourself :lol:

lau200
05-27-2007, 02:30 AM
what would size would be the best? i've had a chinese before but can't remember what cage it was i bought him and i'm sure after 3 years there are much better cages out there!

someone suggested a savic rody, is it too small?

thanks

babyboos
06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Savic Rody are a good idea for style of cage but really too small for anything other than a pair of mice

Bunsey
07-05-2007, 04:41 PM
i own rodys and gabbers for my other species, but i keep my chinese in imacs, even though i really hate cleaning them, because i honestly believe this is THE best set-up for them. for one chinese i have a 2-level imac (without the loft area, that causes problems!). i have the upstairs and a play and eat floor and the downstairs as the bedroom with 2 igloos - one for sleep and one for stash. you can get an imac and extention off the tesco direct website for about £40. my chinese didn't like her gabber or rody btw, as it was too open and "showy" for her. they like tubes and levels.