PDA

View Full Version : I think my hamster is dead but I don't know

motherofthree(hamsters)
04-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Is there anything I can do? She doesn't move very much, jolts every once in a while.

babyboos
04-06-2005, 03:58 PM
I am very sorry that your little one seems to be suffering - PLEASE contact a vet immediately they will help you and your hamster. Be strong, and good luck. You will be in my prayers tonight. Let us know how you get on.

carefresh
04-06-2005, 04:53 PM
I'm really sorry that your hamster is not well.

motherofthree(hamsters)
04-06-2005, 04:59 PM
She died I am afraid, and the vets here wont help they say they don't work on hamsters that is not fair!!! :evil: that makes me mad! Do you think 13 is too young for a chinchilla?

carefresh
04-06-2005, 06:02 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.

Emma
04-13-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm sorry motherofthree :(

It can seem difficult to tell with very sick animals sometimes, especially if you don't have a stethoscope handy.

If you mean is a 13 year old child too young to own a chinchilla - personally I would say not BUT any pet is always ultimately the adult's responsibility.

pophammy
04-14-2005, 08:03 AM
I am sorry about your little one. I must say I would change vets. What sort of vet would refuse to treat a sick animal no matter what species. Ours do not even charge for small animals and give medication at reduced cost because it is so little. The also only charge £3 if the animal has to be put to sleep and do it with dignity and sympathy :evil:

SnuggleHam
04-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Sorry motherofthree(hamsters),

That was sudden, do you think you know what might have gone wrong with it?

babyboos
04-14-2005, 02:30 PM
I am sorry about your little one. I must say I would change vets. What sort of vet would refuse to treat a sick animal no matter what species. Ours do not even charge for small animals and give medication at reduced cost because it is so little. The also only charge £3 if the animal has to be put to sleep and do it with dignity and sympathy :evil:

Very pertinent point Pophammy - even if a vet refuses to diagnose and treat a hamster they can still provide a humane euthanisation service for a hamster which is obviously in distress. A consultation and small vial of antibiotics at my vet is only £8.50. Most people can relatively easily save this from their pocket money etc. I am thankfully not sure what a euthanisation currently costs.