PDA

View Full Version : Cages near radiators?

Jane
05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Posting on behalf of my cousin...

She wants to get a new cage for her hammy, a zoo zone 2, but to do that she will have to move some furniture meaning her hamster will end up next to the radiator. I'm assuming it would be okay in the summer when the radiator isn't on but not sure about winter?? Any ideas are great.

Thanks
Jane

Minicooper
05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
It should be fine in the summer as you dont normally have your radiator on. But I wouldnt advise this in the winter as your cousin will probably have her radiator on and if the hamster gets out of the cage it could do some serious damage to itself.

gizmo
05-10-2007, 10:07 AM
It could get much too warm by the radiator in the winter, thus finding a better location in the house should be done.

souffle
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Next to the radiator is not suitable for a hamster. It would be too warm and could cause heat stroke. Often radiators are underneath windows and this is also not good as bright sun can also cause them to get too hot and disturb their rest.

Jane
05-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks - we've come up with a better idea - she's going to get a zoozone 1 or that kind of style cage which will fit on her draws so she doesn't have to rearrange, then her hammy wont be near the radiator ;)