PDA

View Full Version : Bruising in a hamster?

souffle
05-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Pophammy and I had the hammies out as usual last night and we noticed Nelson was placing one on his back legs rather guardedly. He is moving around enough and eating and drinking. It is just the way that he is almost limping slightly that is concerning us. On examination we think he may have a bruise on the leg and wonder if he has been doing his acrobating tricks and fallen and bruised it. He is not such a spring chicken these days and is thinner than he used to be. We have removed anything he could trip over or climb on to encourage him to rest it and will be moving him away from the girls tonight to save him getting over exited :roll: Anyone ever had a bruised hammy and can anyone suggest anything that might help? I did consider some homeopathic arnica as that is good for human bruising.

Christine Yule
05-09-2007, 04:53 AM
I think that it was a good idea to take away him climbing toys. He may have even cracked or broken a bone. I find that if a hamster actually shows injury, it must be very serious since they tend to cover up sickness. I read that their instinct tells them to cover up injury so they don't appear weak to predators.

I have read that treating broken bones in hamsters in trying to keep them resting by not giving them any toys or wheel. I had a pup that was stepped on by his mom and had his back leg completely broken. It was literally flopping around and he was walking on just the stump. The skin wasn't broken and I wondered what would happen. I tried to keep an eye on him but after just a few days, I couldn't tell which one had a broken leg! It was completely healed!

Your hamster is much older and so maybe it will take longer. I think that the arnica is a good idea too. I also read somewhere that for broken bones they should be fed some calcium to help it heal. Maybe some yoghurt or cottage cheese.

Hope he gets better soon!

Hamstermama

souffle
05-09-2007, 05:15 AM
He is still hobbling a bit but I think he is moving the leg a bit better. He is not happy about having no wheel and toys though however he is munching happily on treats and sniffing after where the ladies have been as usual. Good idea about the extra calcium. We shall see to that. Cheese and arnica. Yummy! Poor old Nelly he is such a trooper. I cannot imagine the vet could do anything if the leg was broken so we will have to see how he does. Of course we would take him if he was in any pain but I am hoping it is bruised and not anything worse. He has full movement of the leg, foot and ankle and I cannot feel any break. He is not dragging it, more lifting it higher and placing it slighly crooked. What a worry it is when our little ones are not right. You go through everything in your head and would gladly suffer for them. :?

Christine Yule
05-09-2007, 02:08 PM
It is very true that it is hard to know they are suffering and then try to figure out what the right thing to do. Two days ago my oldest and sweetest tempered male Campbell, Blackie was put down. And yesterday one of my female Syrians just started showing signs of kidney disease so I will lose her in a few weeks. :( The only thing I can do for her is not let her suffer too long. :cry:

Hamstermama

lau200
05-10-2007, 01:15 AM
i do hope both of your hamsters are ok and are not in any pain.

it's awful to lose one, and i lost three hamsters and a rat in under five weeks :cry: Chan had to be pts because he was suffering from enderitis, exactly a week to the day the rat died and a week to the day, Homer died from severe blood loss even though an emergency spay had been performed (these were all on a thursday) and a week later, on the monday after Viktor died of old age. it will be Viktor's three week anniversary on monday :(

should they have to be pts, don't blame yourself. it is a shame that hamsters have such short lives :(
we send you both big hugs,
Laura & the animals

souffle
05-10-2007, 03:14 AM
Sorry to hear of both your losses :cry: We do get so attached but that is not such a bad thing as it teaches us to love and care. It hurts real bad when they leave us but we always have our memories to treasure :)
Nelly was looking more active again last night so fingers crossed.

Christine Yule
05-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Thanks for your words of comfort Laura. I have also had terrible spells of losing several hamsters in a short period of time. Three died in a single day and that was the worst. One was put to sleep in the morning. In the afternoon another had a stroke unexpectedly and died in my hands and in the evening another elderly one had a stroke and died in my hands. :cry: :cry: :cry: I hope that never happens again!

Hamstermama

Christine Yule
05-10-2007, 06:22 AM
Sorry to hear of both your losses :cry: We do get so attached but that is not such a bad thing as it teaches us to love and care. It hurts real bad when they leave us but we always have our memories to treasure :)
Nelly was looking more active again last night so fingers crossed.

I can't begin to tell how much I have learned about life since I began breeding and taking care of my hamsters. It has truly changed the kind of person I am. It has made me calmer, more compassionate and more giving to others. Hamsters and people included! It has also taught me to live in the moment and make every second count because we just never know what tomorrow will bring. Imagine, learning all of that from what some people call, "just a bunch of rats".

I am so glad to hear that Nelly is looking better! I am sure he will be back to his old self soon! Good news! :D

Hamstermama

Bailey-Benji
05-10-2007, 12:10 PM
My hamster, Bailey (20 month old syrian), has actually hurt her leg this week too. She was dragging/limping her leg when I collected her from my friends house on Tues (I went away for a few days.) She was using it a bit more last night, but I removed her toys and wheel too.

My mum phoned the vet who said there wasn't anything that they could do for her and to make sure that she was still eating and drinking and not in any discomfort or pain. If she stops eating or drinking or seems in pain I've got to bring her into the vets and see if they can give her anything. They also said that it should heal itself.

Good luck with Nelson, hope he makes a speedy recovery!

souffle
05-11-2007, 12:40 AM
Nelson is still progressing well and was running last night. The bruise seems to be going away a bit though he is still a bit lame. He has walked through his milky porridge (for calcium) messy devil :lol: I think our 'oldies' forget they maybe cant be quite as agile as the used to be. Rather nice really. Hope I am as uncomplaining and happy when I am 80!
I hope Bailey makes rapid progress too :lol: