PDA

View Full Version : Simple shelf idea for a bin style cage

Hamtastic
05-01-2011, 12:02 AM
I had some birch sheet covered plywood left over from making a base for Lucy's bin cage, and I used it to make a shelf with a ramp. To make it, I used a Stanley 10" Saw:
Stanley 10 in. Fine-Finish Mini Utility Saw - 20-221 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100654910/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

Tiny bits of wood glue, small nails, and sand paper to round and smooth edges. Overall, it's quite simple to saw soft wood like this.

I glued pieces of a cut thin wood bar onto the ramp to make a ladder for easier climbing. I used loop screws and keychain rings to attach the ramp. Each leg is glued and nailed to the bottom of the shelf. Total time to make it was ~30 min.

On the attached pictures, I have a Trixie Jesper house for reference.

The last photo is of a rectangular "base" I made from the same sheet of wood around the bin--it has no bottom, just serves as some cover for the hamster. Home Depot will cut your wood to any size you give them before you buy it, so I had a sheet cut into stripes of the height I wanted, and then I cut them to fit the bin at home.

juliedn
05-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Nice hamtastic. I was just thinking of putting a second level for Aiden too. How is Lucy doing in the new bin?

Gizmodo ^_^
05-01-2011, 03:17 AM
That looks great :D, the whole bin cage is amazing :D, your hamster is very lucky:)

Hamtastic
05-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks, guys. Julie, Lucy's coming around, I think. It's a slow progress, but I can see she likes her new pad a lot more than her previous more open barred cage. Her new Wodent Wheel is coming tomorrow, and she might like that more too, since it's enclosed and might feel like a more secure hideout.

KatiePillow
05-01-2011, 12:39 PM
You spoil your hamsters rotten :)
The level is awesome, need to bug the OH into making me one (my hammies are chubsters, don't want it collapsing on one..)
But you've made it look easy and lovely! I bet it's considerably harder than you've implied.. D:

Hamtastic
05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
It really was fairly easy. I can make a detailed guide if you'd like. But practicing with a saw is good if you've never used one before. The saw I used was a small one, easy to grip and use.

KatiePillow
05-01-2011, 12:56 PM
I think I can get the jist of it, it's just always seemed like an insurmountable task to me, but now It's looking a bit easier >.< (especially the approx. 30min making time..)
Will go bug the OH now :3
My dad has a huge shed full of tools etc, so there should be a hack saw.. (most shops over here won't let me buy one till I'm 21, so it's tricky to buy stuff T_T)

Hamtastic
05-01-2011, 05:00 PM
The key easy component to build the pillar stands were these soft wood wedges:
8 In. Homeowner Pine Shim- 12 Per Bundle - PSH8/12/12 at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100082960/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053)

I used 2 per support pillar, orienting the thickest part at the top below the shelf floor and narrow part on the ground. I glued them together in a ^ form. Then I nailed small skinny nails through the platform floor where the pillars were going to be connected, just enough to go through the thickness of the shelf. I put some glue onto the top of the pillars and moved the nail all the way through, to extend into the pillars. (You can see 3 nails there by the ramp for one of the pillars. I used 2 nails for other pillars. Even the glue itself should be fairly sturdy, but the nails were easy and made the construction more durable.

purple_x
05-02-2011, 07:36 AM
Wow that looks great. Lucy is a very lucky hammy.

I'd never be able to build anything like that myself, I just dont have the patience to.

Hamtastic
05-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I've made another playground / shelf for out-of-the-cage play time (although it might be used in a cage too). No nails, just non-toxic wood glue, birch sticks, and a thin piece of wood for a base. The house is by PETCO.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/attachments/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/3899d1304817094-simple-shelf-idea-bin-style-cage-dsc01649.jpg