PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so difficult to find a decent sized cage..:(

sai12
05-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I bought a cage recently to use as a holdover until I could get something bigger and better. (if anyone noticed the one about getting the cat--I needed something FAST).

Sakana is a large hamster and....I want him to have space. What should the dimensions be for a cage for a Syrian hamster? Seems like all they sell in the pet stores are only suitable for dwarfs. :(

souffle
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Decent sized cages definitly seem to be a problem in the USA. There must be a market there for an entreupreneur! In the UK animal welfare says a cage should be around 30inx18inx15in min but many cages fall far short of that. I think your best bet is to make a bin cage of if you can afford to ship a Gabber criceto rex (available on e bay) they are great cages.

Holly
05-02-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm not exactly sure of recommended dimensions for Syrians but I know what you mean about cages being small - there are only a handful of UK cages that I'd even consider for a Syrian (now that I know more about hamsters) as most commercial cages seem tiny and cramped. I'm a big fan of the Gabber Rex but I don't think it's available in the US.

I've read the dilema that US hamster owners have (on other forums)...have you considered a Zoozone 1 or 2? They are both decent sizes (the Zoozone 2 is HUGE) and I believe it can be found in the USA 8)

sai12
05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Hmm he was living in a bin before...just a bin..no lid or any add ons. I don't think I am capable of making the elaborate ones with the wire and stuff.

I might even drive up to the next closest town where they have a Petco and a Petsmart to see what I can't find. Thanks for the dimensions :) He is in something much smaller right now....my only consolation in his being in a tiny cage is that he is SAFE from kitty teeths.

Zoozones look too be expensive.....and the pages for them seem to usually be in French. O.o

Basia
05-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Can you get some firm mesh and make a top for his bin? In the Uk we can buy sheets of mesh at the DIY stores. If you bend the edge of the mesh over the top of the bin to form a lip, you can then make the lid secure by attaching thick elastic bands to the mesh and sucker hooks which you can stick onto the sides of the bin.

Mautal
05-04-2007, 10:00 AM
Zoozones aren't expensive really.
(well here at least!?)

They're great cages!

sai12
05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Zoozones aren't expensive really.
(well here at least!?)

They're great cages!

Heh, they look like they cost more than a Critter Trail cage would cost. I'm not sure if the prices I was looking at were in US prices though...so *shrug*

Which I've been wondering....is it better to get more bottom surface area or is it okay if they have levels? Like the Critter Trail three has three levels they can climb to.....

V.S.

something like the zoozone you mentioned.

Holly
05-05-2007, 12:39 AM
I think it's generally accepted that they like floor space more - from what I've read on other forums. Levels can be used to increase floor space but this needs to be done carefully (ie, large, un-cramped levels and ensuring they overlap to prevent falls from top to bottom of a tall cage).

Is it not possible, like Basia says, for you to get some firm mesh and make either a window in the lid or side of your bin? I'd have thought that would be more secure than an open cage like that tall Crittertrail you mentioned.

It's not that hard - I'm not very DIY savvy and I recently made my travel boxes which are identical to a bin cage except smaller. The lids lock in place and they seem very secure:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_4590.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o209/Holly_Day/IMG_4592.jpg

You'd need to screw the mesh in place rather than zip-tie it for a permanent residence, I think, but other than that it would be the same - each one took less than two hours to make.

BubblesandSqueak
05-06-2007, 03:12 AM
Do you have a 'Time 4 Pets' near you?
They sell everything! From small hammy to big hammy cages, wire mesh, plastic, tunnels, play equipment. Check it out, if you know any. :)
http://www.citikey.com/business/1028388 ... =1&total=1 (http://www.citikey.com/business/10283885?category=30242&city=Bromley&current=1&total=1)

BubblesandSqueak
05-06-2007, 03:13 AM
Plus, if you get a cage like this:
http://www.fishfurfeather.com/images/ferplast/57923499.jpg
Then you can also get attachments to make it EVEN bigger! :D

lau200
05-06-2007, 03:31 AM
cages like the above are not recommended by most people because there is not enough floor space in them :(

BubblesandSqueak
05-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Sorry - that's just an example on the internet, although I never knew that, thanks :)
Here's another:
http://www.firthfieldpetstore.biz/rotastak-maxi-tunnel-of-fun.gif
I'm going to be getting that one soon.

Holly
05-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Sorry - that's just an example on the internet, although I never knew that, thanks :)
Here's another:
http://www.firthfieldpetstore.biz/rotastak-maxi-tunnel-of-fun.gif
I'm going to be getting that one soon.

Hi again Ellie - depending on what kind of hamster you get, those cages are generally not recommended by most experienced hamster owners. They aren't big enough for Syrians - even with extensions you can't fit a large enough wheel for an adult Syrian into ANY of the Rotastak cages. I know, I bought Rotastak to start with (as well as that Ferplast cage you posted a picture of - I never used it - too small).

For dwarf hamsters living together having lots of different modules like Rotastak is a bad idea as well - the dominant hamster tends to colonise one part (or more) of the cage leading to fighting.

I wasted a lot of money on rubbish and unsuitable cages - I'd suggest you do your research first to avoid the costly mistakes I made.

Mautal
05-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Crittertrail, Habitrail, all ones like that
are made for PEOPLE, not animals. The companies
want money; and if they make things look good,
people will buy them, so getting the companies what
they want.
They're small, expensive, cheaply made & have rubbish
ventilation..

Really, the most basic of things make the best cages!
Zoozones are made for guinea pigs, but IMO are too
small for them, yet make fantastic hamster cages.
(Once you sort the lid/door out so they cant escape)

Bin cages , again basic, but you can get nice big ones
and let your ideas loose!

IMAC (or i read somewhere its FOP made?!) got it right with the Fantasy.

[/end of rant] :lol:

Pouchy
05-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Try a Penine rat cage. My Syrian seems quite happy in it, In fact its almost impossible to get him out. It was modified with extra levels and tubes and hardwood platforms so that there was no space to fall as it was quite high about 18 ins. The wheel was broken by the hamster as it seems a poor design but was fixed up with bits from a meccano set.
They're about 22ins by 11 ins by 18 ins tall.
The golden rule is to look at cages for the next size up animal so if you have a hamster think rat cage and you won't go wrong.

souffle
05-22-2007, 11:50 AM
We are all fans of the Gabber criceto rex cages or lux for dwarfs. They are about £28 on e-bay new or £22 for the lux. Good access, loads of room and easy to clean :lol:

sai12
05-22-2007, 03:42 PM
We are all fans of the Gabber criceto rex cages or lux for dwarfs. They are about £28 on e-bay new or £22 for the lux. Good access, loads of room and easy to clean :lol:

Can't seem to find them when I search on ebay. Maybe a link?

Pouchy
05-23-2007, 04:38 AM
Maybe they are only available in UK not the US. Hence the dificulty of finding them. Try gabber Rex in google and see what comes up if all else fails.