PDA

View Full Version : Millet?

Holly
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Having read that dwarf hamsters enjoy millet I bought some small sprays today - they seem to be a hit as both Sparrow and Turner headed straight for them.

I attached them to the side of the cage - I was planning on getting the larger sprays and attaching them to the roof bars and hanging them down .... but after a bar mishap earlier this week I don't want them using the sprays to climb to the roof bars :roll:

I have a couple of questions - should they be left in the cage all the time as a diet supplement or removed and replaced from time to time?

Also do Syrians enjoy them as well??

sai12
04-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Wow I had never heard of using the bird treat as a treat for hamsters!! At least I knew it as a bird treat. Sorry, I have nothing to say to your questions. :S Though I could do an experiment on Sakana (ie buy him millet) and see if he likes it. ^__^

pophammy
04-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I think you can just leave them in the cage. We gave them to our Syrians once but they didn't take them and just ignored them! :roll: You could always give them them to try though as I have heard of people's hams who love them. I think Dwarfs tend to like them better than Syrians.

Holly
04-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Thanks you two - I think I remember reading that dwarf hams are supposed to like them as they are so tiny - perhaps the Syrians get enough with the "big stuff" they get in their hamster mix.

Anyway I've got some spare so I'll give them a try tonight :)

Hana
04-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Smokey loves millet!! and Snowy used to stuff his pouches so full of it that he couldn't go up the tube! :lol:

daffee
04-05-2007, 05:55 AM
Our robos love millet. We just stick a spray in the cage (they're too small to reach it if we hang it up).

babyboos
04-07-2007, 05:03 PM
My dwarves love millet, Syrians usually can't be bothered with it on sprays but do liek it mixed in with their food - you can buy bags of millet in health food shops - humans can eat it too - it is very high in protein - I too don't like hanging it from roof bars in my Gabber duna style cages as they can climb the millet and then if cheeky enough sometimes squeeze through.