PDA

View Full Version : bin cages

CAB
04-11-2011, 06:50 AM
i am sooo intreaged by these and if could put grills in side, stacking my two hammys now expecting more would be a bonus.... so, for syrians whats recomended size size? ideas?

alexarcano
04-11-2011, 07:02 AM
As big as you can get, but if you are using only one per hammie and not connecting them to anything else then I would say dont get anything under 80cm long, as for height and width most tend to be about the 40X40cm level. I would try and get ones as see-through as possable so that you can enjoy seeing what hammie is doing. :D
Meshing is optional, depending on how handy you are with a drill. Mine are not meshed on the front and I only really added a mesh on top to make it easier to hang things from, but mine are not stacked.
Don't know what style of thing you are aiming for but theres loads of different ones on the forum to take ideas from :)

CAB
04-11-2011, 07:16 AM
yeah i have need looking on the forum and to be honestlooking for picture ideas.... kinda looking for one syrian / cage. (although hubby just came home from work and i was cooing over a winter white like i used to have - hopeing he's fell in love so maybe one day i can either get him a couple, or he'll get em for me) i have the time and love to give, just not the space!

alexarcano
04-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Well, here's mine. Yes it's all one thing for one syrian. :rolleyes:
I might have gotten a little carried away.

CAB
04-11-2011, 07:38 AM
oh i love it! and if ur hammy and u r happy, what on earth matters!?

seen these, Storage Box And Lid Clear 80ltr | Storage Boxes with Lids | | Plastic Storage from Wilkinson Plus (http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/plastic-storage-/storage-box-and-lid-clear-80ltr/invt/0239167/)

would most likely put in a second level and do like how uve fitted wheel, was wondering HOW i would manage that as most have freestanding ones in and mousie is a tunneler and nothing like that stands for very long! lol

alexarcano
04-11-2011, 07:54 AM
That's actually what I used, but I would say its a little on the small side as a stand alone bin cage for a syrian, even with the second level. Probably ok for a dwarfy type though.
Maybe this would be better?

IKEA | Boxes & baskets | Secondary storage boxes | SAMLA | Box (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00102975)

Or perhapsthe 110 litre one here:

Plastic Storage Boxes Clear with Lid SIZE OPTIONS 1 P&P | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plastic-Storage-Boxes-Clear-Lid-SIZE-OPTIONS-1-P-P-/320564886189?pt=UK_Storage&var=&hash=item76bed46b9a)

You can probably get them cheaper than this last one but I just thought this would give you an idea as to why I have joined multiple bins and things together :)

CAB
04-11-2011, 08:10 AM
i'll have to look when i go out. we nowhere near an ikea. :(

CAB
04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
well here we go... my bin cage i have made.

that oki?

SnickersTheFirst
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
It looks great! What are the measurements?

One thing, that wheel is very small for a Syrian. 8" is best. :D

CAB
04-15-2011, 09:42 AM
to be honest its one i had hanging around... its the standard size that was in all my wire cages. but will look into another as there is more than enough space for it to go in there! its same size base as mousies gabber atm, (whatever that is lol)

alexarcano
04-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Looks ok but, question...
Is that the 80L bin from Wilkinsons?
Just asking because it looks a bit smaller than the one I got... Probably just the photo or my myopic eyes but I thought I would ask. ;)
I ended up putting a 'bannister' on my levels so that things didnt drop off though. You might see them better here, this is an old pic with a different layout.

samincittagazze
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Looks good! Where did you get the grill bit from for the side? :)

CAB
04-23-2011, 08:19 AM
the grill was an old hamster cage i was given, and it had half the tunnels and buts missing, also a cracked lid, so i sacrificed it. chopped it and used that... think may be a 80ltr - (was from wilkos) and, its base is as big as mousies gabber cage she in now.... she had a small shelf on one side, so this is going to be a place for her. ive done one other with a grill from an old bird cage,, so far, going to put in two shelves (using old recycles ply out of garage we have used for averys in past, great way of using the bits n bobs up to be honest. :) found a jumbo savic rolly online, would that do as a wheel? thinking as the other one is a rolly it would go through the hole i drilled for it?

princessbarbie1988
05-19-2011, 05:48 AM
well here we go... my bin cage i have made.

that oki?

Where did you get the part with the door? I want to get something like that for when I make Poppy a bin cage. I'd like to be able to get her out from a side door.

CAB
05-20-2011, 02:48 AM
i broke up another hamster cage i had... everything apart from the "bin" itself was used from stuff we had just lying around.