PDA

View Full Version : DIY stand for silent spinner wheel???

Camdenita
04-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Well, I have a silent spinner wheel (6.5") for my hamster.
It is attached to the mini duna cage's shelf (see pic) as mini duna has an awfwl wheel that comes with it, so I replaced it with this.
The problem is, when Evlampia uses it, the whole self moves up and down and it's making a loud noise! :???:
So I wake up by it almost every night!
I'd love to have a sillent spinner wheel that stands alone, but in Greece I can't find one with a stand, pet shops only sell plain wheels that u have to attach them in the cage.
I was thinking of making a DIY stand from thick wire, but I don't know how...:-k
It would be helpfull to see a picture of a silent spinner with stand from the back, so as to have an idea of it's construction.
I'd appreciate any photos of it!
Any ideas of another way there is to attach a wheel on a mini duna would be helpfull too!:-D

Faerydae
04-10-2011, 10:57 AM
not sure of a way to make a stand but maybe you could stop the shelf from rattling by sticking it down with a small bit of blu-tack or something similar?

Camdenita
04-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Good idea Faerydae, but I'm not sure blue-tack is good for hammies - in case they try to bite it or anything...:-k
Thank you for the reply! :)

alexarcano
04-11-2011, 05:20 AM
Depends what stuff you have laying around. Wire is probably a no-no as it will flex when hammie is running and may set up a bounce and topple the wheel.
Do you know what type of wire you have? ie the guage and material it is made from?

alexarcano
04-11-2011, 05:51 AM
I thought about it for a minute or 2 and came up with this idea....
Used a hot glue gun to create the L stand.

Camdenita
04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I have some wire but I have no idea what it's made of. It's ,however, very flexible.
Alexarcano, your idea is very good!! And easy! I only need someone to drill a hole for me. I can do all the other stuff myself...:rolleyes:
Thank you! Your pics are very helpfull!
It's actually the best solution so far, together with a plexiglass "construction" I have in my mind, which looks like yours! Plexiglass is an expensive material though...!:-?
I'll post pictures of it when it's done (soon hopefully!)

alexarcano
04-11-2011, 01:49 PM
If you find the plexiglass too expensive you could use other sheet material, acrylic ( 2mm Clear Acrylic Perspex Sheet Cut To Size No Waste | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2mm-Clear-Acrylic-Perspex-Sheet-Cut-Size-No-Waste-/220766489362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3366b54b12) ) perhaps or polycarbonate ( LEXAN(POLYCARBONATE) SHEET 3MM CLEAR 1000mm x 500mmX1NO | eBay UK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXAN-POLYCARBONATE-SHEET-3MM-CLEAR-1000mm-x-500mmX1NO-/360356210713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item53e6e76819) ). These may be better in fact (especially the lexan as this is used, when it's thicker, in bullet proof applications) as they are more flexible and less lightly to shatter into sharp points if something goes wrong. Also it would be easier to fix a wheel to these as it's probably going to be a shade thinner.
Best of luck with your project! :)

Camdenita
04-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Thank you alexarcano!
I'll see what material is the best and has good quality and low price! :):)