PDA

View Full Version : Bin cage extension

Erin Loves Dwarf Hamsters
04-02-2011, 02:05 PM
I thought that this forum would be the best (and most knowledgable) place to ask this question.
Ive seen a small plastic container about half the size of my bin cage and I'm looking to buy it and using a tube(s) to connect the main cage to it on the outside.

Here is a rough idea of what it will look like
(The black indicates the extension and the red circles are where the tubes will connect the cages on the outside)

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/attachment.php?attachmentid=3360&stc=1&d=1301777965

(Note: This is an old photo taken before the hamsters moved into it, it now has five large vents for air circulation)

I would like to know what sort of cheap but safe tubing I could use, it also needs to be small enough for Winter Whites to climb up it with no issues.

If you could post links or suggest any decent tubes that would work for this project I would be very grateful. Thanks :)

SnickersTheFirst
04-02-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure tbh, have you checked ebay? There's often second hand tubes on there pretty cheap.

However dwarves find it hard climbing vertical tubes so you may have to do a re-design.

04-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure tbh, have you checked ebay? There's often second hand tubes on there pretty cheap.

However dwarves find it hard climbing vertical tubes so you may have to do a re-design.

Yeah I checked ebay but there is nothing that I could use there (or Im searching in the wrong place), and the tunnel will be on a 45 degree angle but its difficult to tell from my drawing sorry about that :)

SnickersTheFirst
04-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Oh I see. :D As long as you make it as slanted as possible it should be fine.

Maybe try sites like Equine Canine Feline or Zooplus? Sorry I can't be of much help. :mad:

Gillzy
04-02-2011, 02:35 PM
I'd imagine the crittertrail fun-nels are best for dwarfies... because they have bumps on them... although I'd test your ham with the angle before cutting holes, because you don't want to make it too difficult to get up. Would it be an idea to cut a hole in the bottom (of the top box) and lid (of the bottom box). So that you could just put a ramp. I understand that that causes all kinds of problems though... (bedding in the top box, access to the bottom box...)

Gizmodo ^_^
04-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Also they may fight over the extra level, and have to be seperated :S

04-02-2011, 02:45 PM
I'd imagine the crittertrail fun-nels are best for dwarfies... because they have bumps on them... although I'd test your ham with the angle before cutting holes, because you don't want to make it too difficult to get up. Would it be an idea to cut a hole in the bottom (of the top box) and lid (of the bottom box). So that you could just put a ramp. I understand that that causes all kinds of problems though... (bedding in the top box, access to the bottom box...)

I will certainly check those out, thank you :) and I did wonder about the ramp instead. The extension is only £2.50 so I dont mind taking the risk with trying it out as I wont lose much money if it goes wrong and the vents that I have in the lid on the main cage come out so I wouldn't have to worry about cutting a new hole.. hmm this seems like a better idea now. Thank you :D

Gillzy
04-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh that's good! :) You might need to build a "banister" around the entrance hole, so that you can still put some sawdust on the floor :)

juliedn
04-03-2011, 11:52 AM
I use crittertrail fun-nels. They're quite expensive (well at least to me). For 8 pieces it cost me $20. :( And like Gillzy said, they're great for dwarfs. You can search on craigslist.com in your area. I know that you can advertise in the UK, but I don't think it's as popular than in the US. A lot of people sell used tubes and cages for a decent price.

And if you're good with tools you can use thin pvc piping from a hardware store. They're realllllllly cheap. One 15 foot long pipe is $3(USD), which costs less than one funnel piece. And you can cut holes and rectangular opening for you hamster to climb.

But then again Gillzy does have a good idea with that ramp :) Lovely bin by the way. I like the pebbles inside.

alexarcano
04-03-2011, 02:44 PM
If you are making an internal ramp for the extension you could use a small tub (with a hole in the bottom ofc) glued to the bottom of the extension bin to provide a 'wall/bannister' to keep the substrate in the upper level from falling into the lower bin.
An internal ramp or tunnel to the upper bin will eat a bit of space from both bins though so if you think space will be tight go for an external one.
Just a suggestion for your internal ramp one to aid in escape proofing is to key them together with the tub... you make a hole the size of the little tub so that it pokes through the bottom of the upper bin enough to fit through the hole in the lid of the lower bin. If you see what I mean. I'm not so hot at pictures, but....