PDA

View Full Version : Are Campbells bigger than WWs?

samincittagazze
04-02-2011, 05:08 AM
I have 4 hybrid hammies from Pets@Home. my 3 girls have Winter White colouring and seem to be more on that side with their looks in general. My new boy Max has a Campbell's colouring (Argente I think) and he is much, much bigger and heavier than the girls. I think part of the problem is he's over-weight, as he had lots of food but not much room to exercise. But even with this, his feet are much bigger (and furrier!) than the other 3.

I remember reading that sometimes hybrid mums can struggle to give birth due to the size of the babies, is it just that Campbells are bigger than Winter Whites, and Max reflects that side of his genetics more? I'm just curious, as he's twice the size of my tiny Frohike!

Katty_Sheldon
04-02-2011, 06:22 AM
I had a (probably hybrid) winter white who had problems with obesity all his life. Could be genetics - but I would try to improve his diet because obesity (as in humans) can lead to many other problems and a shorter life.
On the other side, some hamsters are smaller, some are bigger... it can be just how he is!

Gizmodo ^_^
04-02-2011, 06:51 AM
Yeah i think it just Depends
Hamlet, looks bigger than all our winter whites but mostly its just all fluff

KatiePillow
04-02-2011, 09:23 AM
I always thought that Winter whites were bigger, but then I'm comparing Rum and Raisin to mine.
Although mine are gaining weight rapidly O.O
I don't know about this question though >.<

samincittagazze
04-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I had a (probably hybrid) winter white who had problems with obesity all his life. Could be genetics - but I would try to improve his diet because obesity (as in humans) can lead to many other problems and a shorter life.
On the other side, some hamsters are smaller, some are bigger... it can be just how he is!

Don't worry, he's on a diet, but I've only had him a few days so it'll take a little while. ;)

Gizmodo ^_^
04-02-2011, 09:49 AM
I always thought that Winter whites were bigger, but then I'm comparing Rum and Raisin to mine.
Although mine are gaining weight rapidly O.O
I don't know about this question though >.<

Hattie is probably bigger than most Campbells since shes a fattie
but then Gizmo was a tiny winter white
so it depends :P

fluffymunchkins
04-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Pure capmpbells are generally smaller than pure winterwhites.
With hybrids it varies, for example Treo is campbells colouring but is winterwhite sized and body shape.

laura
04-11-2011, 12:40 PM
I always thought campbells were bigger... they seem to look bigger.... and I'm sure I read this somewhere! I think winter whites usually look fatter tbh because they're more laid back. Don't think it's anything to do with hybrids... just genetics and temperament.