PDA

View Full Version : Different Personalities

Basia
03-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Now I have 3 hamsters, I am amazed how different they are. They are all different colours, of course, but they all have completely different personalities. My latest addition, Fuzzy, which I think is a boy has only been with us since Thursday but he is an absolutely manic hamster. He has so much energy I can't believe it. He is very friendly and I can hold him and play with him but he loves to run and climb. He spends ages in his ball. I put him back in his cage but he is immediately hanging off the bars begging to come out again. He is also a bar chewer and gymnast, he climbs all over his cage like a monkey. He runs on his wheel really fast for hours and hours.
My other new hamster, now called Sid (the rest of the family over-ruled me) since we discovered she was a he is the absolute opposite. He is slow, actually walks around in his ball. Will just sit on my lap and be stroked. Even in the playpen he never runs. Basil, my original hamster, who now looks like a sumo compared to the other two is somewhere between the two of them. He likes to run around in his ball but doesn't use his wheel as much as them. He comes out as soon as he hears us and begs for food, obviously is very fond of me, he follows me around in his ball and will run all over me in the playpen but if I pick him up he bites. He is the only one of the 3 who does bite.
Sorry for the long post - I am just fascinated by them all. :)

Holly
03-18-2007, 02:46 AM
We now have 5 hamsters and I have also noticed the big differences in personality.

Treacle is seriously friendly and people orientated - he's always up early evening and keen to come out. Once he's been out he's keen to come out again. Whilst in the cage he runs on his wheel a lot and also climbs the bars - but if Will or I are near the cage he stops whatever he's doing and comes to the bars to say hello. He kind of follows us round the room, it's very cute.

Custard is less likely to stop what he's doing to immediately come and see us - but he's very friendly when out and seems to be extremely fond of Will. He's also very active, climbing the bars and running on his wheel a lot.

Mocha started off a lot like Sid, as we've discussed before. However he's now a lot more active than he used to be and is sometimes even the first one up in the evening, which I wouldn't have imagined a couple of months ago! He's also extremely keen to come out and he usually stops running or whatever and "asks" to be let out. He was a bad bar chewer like Sid, but all that seems to have stopped with the Gabber Rex and he actually chews on the wooden toys and branch I provide now.

Because these three are so friendly and keen to come out to play they often get 3 or even 4 play sessions in an evening as long as they don't wake too late. We somethimes wake them now as I'm sure they'd rather not miss out on playtime completely by sleeping in, they seem to enjoy it so much.

Sparrow and Turner are still very new, they are both very tame (my friend says they are like a pair of rugs, the way they sort of drape over our hands when we pick them up) but we aren't really sure of their individual personalities yet.