PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Q! How you make a sandbath?

leigh
03-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I kind of guess that you need a suitable tub..and sand.
But what kind of tub and sand? :oops:

souffle
03-17-2007, 04:10 PM
You can either buy one of the hamster potties or use a shallow tub like the kind you get with a chinese takeaway in it! You should use either chinchilla sand (NOT dust as this is dangerous to hamsters) or you can use childrens play sand. Never use beach or builders sand as it can contain toxic things. If your sand is wet it can be baked in an oven. We use the Charlie chinchilla sand available in the milk bottle type containers for about £2 and the hamster potties with hoods :lol:

babyboos
03-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Any container will do I have used empty food dishes, especially the nice heavy ceramic ones, empty coffee jar lids, a square coffee jar on its side - good for those who like to roll around in the sand rather than just go potty - purpose built Ferplast potties, empty cream cheese tubs, old Tupperware containers, just have a look in the cupboards I am sure you will see something you could use.

leigh
03-18-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks I will try Mayo with one during the week. He is due to get a new home, as his present cage is getting a bit small. He is one long ham.

Holly
03-19-2007, 02:42 AM
I'm guessing Sparrow and Turner will need/like a sandbath - I'll have a look for some chinchilla sand when I'm at the petshop.

Are sandbaths just for Dwarf hams though? Would our Syrians like one too? Do you just put it in occasionally - or leave it there all time?

SnuggleHam
03-19-2007, 04:13 AM
There is no such thing as a dumb question, at least not here on HC ;)

souffle
03-19-2007, 05:02 AM
All species love them Holly. We have never had any type who did not like them. All our syrians have a potty full of sand.

Widowmaker
03-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Dwarf hammies LOVE sandbaths!!

It helps to prevent their coat from getting too greasy. Mine go nuts for it. Though they also use it as a toilet, then go rolling in it which is dead sexy :roll:

Holly
04-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Those who use them - do you leave them in all the time or just put them in occasionally?

Hana
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I keep Smokey's in all the time so he can roll in it whenever he wants.

souffle
04-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Ours are in all the time though some like Sonni dig all the sand out. We dont replace it till cleaning time though else she would have a cage full of sand. The others have a roll and dig then use them as a toilet except Red who tips hers up and climbs on it :lol: :lol:

babyboos
04-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Mine are in all the time and cleaned out every second day