PDA

View Full Version : Can Chineses have barred cages?

mangoandmimi
03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
hey,
was wondering whether chineses are small enough to fit through 1cm bars? its just ive seen a ferplast mary near me so i would get it if it was suitable. doesnt matter if it isnt, i'll find a tank for him :)
thanks ! :)

LocoRocoPanda
03-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Personally I wouldn't risk having a Chinese in a barred cage. Tried it with Toshiro, didn't end well. The thing about Chinese hamsters is that they're very...Erm...slender and can be a bit slippery really, they can really squish down. XD So I'd play it safe with a tank instead of risking it.

SnickersTheFirst
03-29-2011, 08:59 AM
I guess you could but being so slim I think they would need 8mm bar spacing (the Mary is 1cm isn't it?). As Loco said, I'd be safe and get a tank type cage.

mangoandmimi
03-29-2011, 09:14 AM
ok thanks :) just ive never really seen a chinese before other than them huddled up in a nest (lol i know...>.<) but ok i'll find a tank for him, thankyou! x

Gizmodo ^_^
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah its not worth risking it, Tanks are the good and safe option
looking forward to when you get your chinesey :D

LocoRocoPanda
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
I guess you could but being so slim I think they would need 8mm bar spacing (the Mary is 1cm isn't it?). As Loco said, I'd be safe and get a tank type cage.

AH SLIM! That's the word I was looking for!!! Thankies!!! :D

SnickersTheFirst
03-29-2011, 09:54 AM
AH SLIM! That's the word I was looking for!!! Thankies!!! :D

:mad: Glad I helped, even if it was by accident. hehe.

fluffymunchkins
03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I always say it depends on the hamster, big breeder chinese hams are likely to be ok in 1cm bar spacing.
But its not worth the risk for smaller chinese :)

Vectis Hamstery
03-29-2011, 01:04 PM
I kept a lazy 50g boy in a Peggy with no problems (thought he might like to climb, but he just wasn't interested!). Any Chinese that is less chunky or not fully grown, I wouldn't use a barred cage. I use 0.5cm mesh on my bin cages as I keep youngsters in them.