PDA

View Full Version : Cutting holes in a ferplast cage

Georgey
03-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Has anyone ever cut a hole in a cage like this Rabbit 100 Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage by Ferplast | Pets at Home (http://www.petsathome.com/shop/rabbit-100-guinea-pig-and-dwarf-rabbit-cage-by-ferplast-37559)

My syrian hammy Pudding is living in one at the moment and I'd like to cut a hole in the bottom and sit a RUB inside so Pudding can dig and burrow :)

Im just wondering how practicle it would be and how people woild go about it?

many thanks in advance :-D

sarah1987
03-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi,
im suprized he hasnt escaped from it, as the bar spacing looks to big i think it should be 1/2 an inch for syrians, and 1/4 an inch for the dwarf breeds, so i would suggest meshing around it if you havent already, or buy a hamster cage rather than a rabbit cage, some drills have circle bits to cut circles out you could try that, but some plastics will spilt and if that happens the cage will be no good. sorry i cant be of more help :/

Georgey
03-26-2011, 02:46 AM
Dont worry the cage has been well meshed, She would of been right out of it if I hadnt :mad: I do have a savic cambridge but didnt like it so moved her :(

Yes I did wonder if it might crack, the plastic is quite hard and thick :confused:

Cartoonist
03-26-2011, 02:59 AM
I have cut many holes in the past in thick plastic, using a dremel tool and safety glasses.

alexarcano
03-26-2011, 03:02 AM
I have used a hole saw (the circular drill attatchment) on my bins before, if thats any help. You just have to be carefull when you start drilling, the normal drill bit in the middle makes the pilot hole to guide the big holesaw bit around it. Once the bit in the middle has made a hole (do this while applying very light pressure) you hold the dril at a very slight angle so the holsaw cuts one bit first and then straighten it up. I think that a drill with high rpm is less lightly to cause splits, as it kind or part cuts and part melts its way through. If doing this, remember to use almost no weight on the drill as leaning on it will make your plastic crack up for sure. It did give me very neat results, far more regular than melting or cutting with a blade. You may have to go around the hole with your fingers and remove the little rough bits of plastic though.
Hope this helps!

Georgey
03-26-2011, 05:54 AM
thankyou :) will speak to my dad about it and see what tools he has :mad:

Becca27
03-26-2011, 10:30 AM
what about getting a ferplast adaptor and cutting a space for it in the bars to avoid the possibility of cracking the plastic?

Georgey
03-27-2011, 03:48 AM
what about getting a ferplast adaptor and cutting a space for it in the bars to avoid the possibility of cracking the plastic?

Do you have a link for that at all? I cant find it on google :confused:

SnickersTheFirst
03-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Small Pet Tubes : X-PART Network Attatchment : www.EquineCanineFeline.com the place to buy all your Pet Products, Horse Products and Pet Supplies online (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/xpart-network-attatchment-p-487.html)

I think this is it. :D

Becca27
03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
yup thats the one, i got two of them along with my criceti 15, but it already had spaces for them to go :)

Georgey
03-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Ive ordered one of those and this (http://www.equinecaninefeline.com/catalog/novy-cage-burrowing-chamber-hamsters-mice-gerbils-p-2021.html) too :D cant wait for them to come, Pudding is going on holiday soon while I redecorate my room so Im hoping to get her cage sorted before she comes home :)

thankyou everyone!

Becca27
03-27-2011, 11:53 AM
lol i just ordered the larger one of those yesterday :)

Georgey
03-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Hope its worth the money, I have lots of other things I need to buy so I can set up Puddings cage in the natural style (inspired by the german cages!) so decided to go for the smaller one for the sake of my purse :mad:

bugginz
05-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Put masking tape on both sides of the plastic. This is to help stop it shattering and also lets you sketch a circle. Either use a drill with a hole attachment and go slowly or you can use a regular drill to make an insertion then use a jigsaw to make any size hole you want.
Hope this helps.