PDA

View Full Version : Hamster Balls

leigh
03-07-2007, 02:46 PM
I have a ball for my ham, which he seems to like. But I have heard that you should not use them. I am confused!

I have had a couple of accidents, where mayo has peed in it..he was not too amused to say the least, but apart from the usual safey issues, should they be used?

sai12
03-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Sakana loves his hamster ball!!

Just remember not to forget your hammy in it for long periods of time or he'll dehydrate. So like 15min in the ball, and back in the cage for potty breaks and drinking breaks. Then he can go back in if you wish.

And just remember basic safety, like block off stairs or places they could get stuck in their ball. Keep an eye on them as well, mine chewed the tabs that kept the lid on so the lid would come off.

Hopefully that is good, I'm sure other members will inform you of other important things.

babyboos
03-07-2007, 05:35 PM
you seem to have covered everything - block off all staircases as bumping down them can injure hamsters

souffle
03-08-2007, 01:22 AM
There is an article on balls in the articles section you may want to have a look at. :lol:

Emms
03-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Twinkle loves her ball :) I give her cuddles/playtime for about 15/20 minuts then pop he back in her cage incase she needs the toilet then 15 minutes in her roller ball and then i give her dinner :)

Holly
03-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Ours seem to love their exercise ball time as well - they never seem to want to come out so we often let them out for a second run after they've had a bit of a rest.

We had a few problems with the balls we initially bought (coloured plastic ones from the pet shop - several times they burst open and one was so hard to undo we had to smash it open to get Treacle out :shock: )...all of out hams have now got the Pennine ones which are clear plastic with coloured doors - I could swear thay don't bump into the furniture as muuch now they are in clear balls!

babyboos
03-12-2007, 02:21 PM
that must have been so scary for you poor Treacle

Rach
03-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Summer hates her ball, but all my boys love them! It's a pity I can't tame Summer, so until I do she has to use her ball while I clean her out as quickly as I can. DAM MY UNCONFIDENT NATURE!

Holly
03-13-2007, 02:19 AM

It was AWFUL - we'd only had him a few days, Will was crying, Treacle was panicking. With hindsight, what I should have done was put him down to run for a few minutes more while I calmed down and found something to break it open with - as soon as we put them down they are fine - they only seem to freak a bit when they are being held still in the ball. Instead I frantically tried to break it with my hands, then found a flat screwdriver and prised it open....phew.

Treacle didn't seem concerned afterwards - we got him a new ball with 'proper' doors and he hopped straight in it!

Hana
03-13-2007, 11:01 AM

It was AWFUL - we'd only had him a few days, Will was crying, Treacle was panicking. With hindsight, what I should have done was put him down to run for a few minutes more while I calmed down and found something to break it open with - as soon as we put them down they are fine - they only seem to freak a bit when they are being held still in the ball. Instead I frantically tried to break it with my hands, then found a flat screwdriver and prised it open....phew.

Treacle didn't seem concerned afterwards - we got him a new ball with 'proper' doors and he hopped straight in it!

Wow I would have totally freaked out if that happened to me! At least you got poor Treacle out in the end! :?

I know what you mean, mine seem to panik when I lift them of the floor; but then I think of it this way if I was a hamster and a big hand came swooping down and lifted me into the air I would be scared too!! :lol: