PDA

View Full Version : WARE Natural Wood Cage for Hamsters

Hamtastic
03-19-2011, 02:41 PM
This is a review for a cage freely available in the United States that I've owned for 2 months now and find very good. There seems to be a dearth of good quality cages here, compared to Europe, so I thought I'd recommend this WARE cage for those who can't get Savics or Ferplasts or other great cages easily. (It might be available in Europe too, in some stores, I'm not certain). It's pretty cheap here, around $35 for a real gem!

Manufacturer's image of the cage:
http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-8686102dt.jpg

General description:

This cage itself has the following dimensions: 24.5"L x 14"W x 14.5"H (~62.5cm x 35.5cm x 37cm) (measuring from the outside points of the teal tray).

Combined with the optional wooden base tray holder, the dimensions are:
~27"L x 17"H x 17.5"W (~68.5cm x 43cm x 44.5cm)

The tray is just under 5" deep.

There are two doors, one on the top and one on the front side. The doors are very large and allow easy access to your hamster(s) and furnishing pieces.

You do not need to use the wooden base -- it is just for decorative purposes and has no bottom (4 trapezoidal sides).

Cage colors: Teal green plastic, light wood details, metallic brown wire (which is great, because dark wire color makes it easier to see through it).

Experience with the cage:

This cage holds my two dwarf WW hybrids, 2 6.5" wheels, the wooden house that came with the cage, and some toys quite well, although depending on how big your toys are, it could get crowded. If you use smaller size toys, like toilet paper rolls, it's very roomy.

I removed the ramp to the second floor shelf, because I read that pairs need a single level. I kept the shelf in for some added shade.

The wooden base decoration is made from plywood, I think, and is not really that strong, so I'm generally careful with it. The rest of the cage is very well made. Being a wire cage, it has great ventilation, and my hamsters love the wooden house that came with it.

Here are a few pictures of my current set-up:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2eyw61g.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/161k79.jpg

(The see-saw and playground wooden toys are by Hagen Living World Tiny Treasures. The two wheels are by SAM and are 5.5", as my dwarfies were falling out of the 6.5" Silent Spinners. I'll put the Spinners back in when the hams grow up).

The small wooden "shelf" is pretty useless on its own, as it wobbles up and down when a weight is added on top of it. However, if attached with more vertical bars around or with another supporting piece underneath, it could be of some use.

The house doubles up as a food dish holder to save space. I have a paper roll near it to help my hams climb up.

A Note about attaching Wheels to the cage:

If your wheels end up hitting the tray, here is what I did with both, the Silent Spinners and the current wheels:
http://i54.tinypic.com/35a6jx1.jpg
I inserted an eraser behind one wheel to dampen vibrations, and a lego piece behind another. This pushes the wire cage away from the plastic tray side, thus moving the wheel away from the tray that it rubs against otherwise.

I'd say it's a fairly good minimal size for one syrian or a couple of dwarves. I am OCD about toys and such and might be getting a Zoo Zone1, but the price, quality, and ventilation (and accessibility in the U.S.) of this cage are hard to beat!

P.S.: the bedding on my pictures is pretty shallow, as I'm out of it, and expecting a delivery for more any day now :( Normally I'd fill it up much higher.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Fidgetthefirst
03-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Thats a really nice looking cage :)

When i first saw 24.4", i didn't see the (") so i thought it was 24cm! i was in shock, but then read on... :)

Your hams might go on that level you know, they might climb up the cage and go onto it, my syrian does that more than he uses the ladders!

starrylight99
03-19-2011, 03:29 PM
I have two of these cages (I'm in the US as well) and I really like them! I would recommend them too!

Hamtastic
03-19-2011, 03:31 PM
My hams are really not into climbing yet. I had the ramp to the second floor installed a couple times, and they almost never went up. For some reason, they just have no interest in climbing.

RachK
03-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Ooo That's a really nice cage. I like the brown bars very much does give it all a more natural touch. :)

starrylight99
03-19-2011, 04:32 PM
My hams are really not into climbing yet. I had the ramp to the second floor installed a couple times, and they almost never went up. For some reason, they just have no interest in climbing.

Mine climb in this ALL THE TIME. Oh my gosh, Chaos will climb all the way to the top and literally wave his paw at you out the bars. Fortunately it's not a long drop and we use thick bedding. He likes climbing in it, its a good cage for that.

BriBri
03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I almost bought it but was skeptical as Chi'la loves wood chews and I thought She'd eat it to a pulp!!!

starrylight99
03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
I almost bought it but was skeptical as Chi'la loves wood chews and I thought She'd eat it to a pulp!!!

You don't have to use the wood shelf or ramp or house if you don't want to. The cage is fine without them, and actually seems a bit bigger too.

Hamtastic
03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Mine have not chewed the house at all or the ramp, but periodically chew at the wooden toys I got for them separately (the tunnel and the playground pictured). But that's ok, because that's what I got them for! I think maybe they like mango tree more than the wood that came with the cage.

Hamtastic
03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Correction: my dwarf winter white hybrids turned out to be white roborovskis, so what's who I have in this cage :)

fluffymunchkins
03-31-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm suprised, I didn't know a cage like this existed in the US :D
I really hope more peopel start buying cages like this instead of crittertrail and similar!

starrylight99
03-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm suprised, I didn't know a cage like this existed in the US :D
I really hope more peopel start buying cages like this instead of crittertrail and similar!

I agree! It's fairly new. I got my boys last August and I think it was just going on the market then. It's only $40 too, which is about the same price as a Crittertrail, so I can't see why someone wouldn't buy the bigger one.

BubbleRabies
04-01-2011, 12:48 AM
This is a review for a cage freely available in the United States that I've owned for 2 months now and find very good. There seems to be a dearth of good quality cages here, compared to Europe, so I thought I'd recommend this WARE cage for those who can't get Savics or Ferplasts or other great cages easily. (It might be available in Europe too, in some stores, I'm not certain). It's pretty cheap here, around $35 for a real gem!

Manufacturer's image of the cage:
http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-8686102dt.jpg

General description:

This cage itself has the following dimensions: 24.5"L x 14"W x 14.5"H (~62.5cm x 35.5cm x 37cm) (measuring from the outside points of the teal tray).

Combined with the optional wooden base tray holder, the dimensions are:
~27"L x 17"H x 17.5"W (~68.5cm x 43cm x 44.5cm)

The tray is just under 5" deep.

There are two doors, one on the top and one on the front side. The doors are very large and allow easy access to your hamster(s) and furnishing pieces.

You do not need to use the wooden base -- it is just for decorative purposes and has no bottom (4 trapezoidal sides).

Cage colors: Teal green plastic, light wood details, metallic brown wire (which is great, because dark wire color makes it easier to see through it).

Experience with the cage:

This cage holds my two dwarf WW hybrids, 2 6.5" wheels, the wooden house that came with the cage, and some toys quite well, although depending on how big your toys are, it could get crowded. If you use smaller size toys, like toilet paper rolls, it's very roomy.

I removed the ramp to the second floor shelf, because I read that pairs need a single level. I kept the shelf in for some added shade.

The wooden base decoration is made from plywood, I think, and is not really that strong, so I'm generally careful with it. The rest of the cage is very well made. Being a wire cage, it has great ventilation, and my hamsters love the wooden house that came with it.

Here are a few pictures of my current set-up:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2eyw61g.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/161k79.jpg

(The see-saw and playground wooden toys are by Hagen Living World Tiny Treasures. The two wheels are by SAM and are 5.5", as my dwarfies were falling out of the 6.5" Silent Spinners. I'll put the Spinners back in when the hams grow up).

The small wooden "shelf" is pretty useless on its own, as it wobbles up and down when a weight is added on top of it. However, if attached with more vertical bars around or with another supporting piece underneath, it could be of some use.

The house doubles up as a food dish holder to save space. I have a paper roll near it to help my hams climb up.

A Note about attaching Wheels to the cage:

If your wheels end up hitting the tray, here is what I did with both, the Silent Spinners and the current wheels:
http://i54.tinypic.com/35a6jx1.jpg
I inserted an eraser behind one wheel to dampen vibrations, and a lego piece behind another. This pushes the wire cage away from the plastic tray side, thus moving the wheel away from the tray that it rubs against otherwise.

I'd say it's a fairly good minimal size for one syrian or a couple of dwarves. I am OCD about toys and such and might be getting a Zoo Zone1, but the price, quality, and ventilation (and accessibility in the U.S.) of this cage are hard to beat!

P.S.: the bedding on my pictures is pretty shallow, as I'm out of it, and expecting a delivery for more any day now :( Normally I'd fill it up much higher.

Let me know if you have any questions!

I have a question! I have just bought a 5 week old Syrian Hamster, and I bought him this cage! He loves it! I had the Habitrail Ovo before, and it was noisy, hard to clean, small, and he did not like it at all. He seems more active in his new cage. However, when I went to go attatch the wood platform, it was not very sturdy. You know, the little tiny platform, not the one that is just sitting on the wire. The small on that you need to tighten on. It seemed very wobbly. I put my hand on it, and it seems to bend easily, obviously not strong enough to hold a hamster. But, I see everyone else's hamsters on it fine. Am i doing something wrong?

Wheels:
- For the wheels, since the above mentioned problem happened, I am concerned that the wheel may not be able to hold well on the cage. Also, I bought him the Critter Bunch Fun Runner, and its a VERY silent wheel, but does not have the option for mounting on the wire cage. So, I have a question: Is the Silent Spinner extremely quiet? My step dad does not know I have a hamster, but my mom does, so when Teo is running on his wheel at night, it has to be quiet. I've heard good things about the Silent Spinner, and that they mount on cages. Do they mount on cages? Also, how quiet are they? Do they live up to their name? If I could get a silent spinner, he'd have so much more space in his natural living's cage! his poor wheel right now takes up so much space, I had to take out his loved ramp to keep it in there with enough living space around it. Please reply to this, by quoting then replying; or email me at [email protected] with the above questions answered if you pleaseeee. <3 it'd be very appriciated. :) This is my first hamster, and he is about 3 months old now. He's very happy, extremely social, very friendly, and very healthy. Not a thing wrong with him... just with me seeing as I can't find a good wheel!!
Thanks a bunch. <3

Hamtastic
04-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Shelf : you can attach it so that one of the vertical bars on the cage is near the bolt where you attach the shelf. That way it won't wobble up and down as much, because the verticle bar some distance away from the bolt will provide more support.

Wheels : Silent Spinners are extremely silent. They attach to wire cages and also have a stand if you prefer to use them that way. They are excellent wheels. However, you'd need the largest size for your hamster though, as the 6.5" is on the small size for syrians. At 12" the large Silent Spinner is on the too large side for this cage.

You can look into other wheels of 8-10" diameter, look at reviews for how silent they are. Keep in mind that you can use some vegetable oil on the axel when you take the wheel apart to make it a lot more silent.

Junior Wodent Wheel is a great wheel and is pretty quiet. It is highly recommended by experienced hamster owners. You can check it out here:
Wodent Wheel Description (http://www.transoniq.com/)
Fairly good price here:
Safety Wodent Wheel - Junior (http://www.petdiscounters.com/Safety-Wodent-Wheel--Junior_p_12933.html)

BubbleRabies
04-01-2011, 01:43 AM
Shelf : you can attach it so that one of the vertical bars on the cage is near the bolt where you attach the shelf. That way it won't wobble up and down as much, because the verticle bar some distance away from the bolt will provide more support.

Wheels : Silent Spinners are extremely silent. They attach to wire cages and also have a stand if you prefer to use them that way. They are excellent wheels. However, you'd need the largest size for your hamster though, as the 6.5" is on the small size for syrians. At 12" the large Silent Spinner is on the too large side for this cage.

You can look into other wheels of 8-10" diameter, look at reviews for how silent they are. Keep in mind that you can use some vegetable oil on the axel when you take the wheel apart to make it a lot more silent.

Junior Wodent Wheel is a great wheel and is pretty quiet. It is highly recommended by experienced hamster owners. You can check it out here:
Wodent Wheel Description (http://www.transoniq.com/)
Fairly good price here:
Safety Wodent Wheel - Junior (http://www.petdiscounters.com/Safety-Wodent-Wheel--Junior_p_12933.html)

I work at petsmart, and my Pet Care Assosociates told me that the 6.5'' would be fine for my hamster, as his wheel before was 6'' and he fit fine in it. So the silent spinner is highly recommended?

Hope
04-01-2011, 04:48 AM
Silent Spinners are very quiet yes, but the 6.5 is not big enough for a syrian hamster, even though the packaging says so. Your hamster should be able to run completely flat, not have to bend his back or head at all when running. Some hamster are smaller and some are bigger, but please do check that yours can run comfortably in his as it can be very uncomfortable and painful for them if their back is constantly bent.

I personally only use 8" or bigger for syrians, in fact one of my dwarfs have an 8" wheel and he manages just fine in it!

I would recomend the Karlie Wonderland wheels, not sure if they are availible in the US though, they should pop up on a google search, go for the 20cm one for a syrian. They are SUPER, silent! The Wodent wheels as Hamtastic mentioned are also really good, and are availible quite readily in the US.

Hamtastic
04-01-2011, 08:00 AM
From the searches I've done, I was unable to find the Karlie wheel in the U.S., sadly. If anyone has found an odd shop that has it, however, let me know :)

rockstar11p
04-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I have a question! I have just bought a 5 week old Syrian Hamster, and I bought him this cage! He loves it! I had the Habitrail Ovo before, and it was noisy, hard to clean, small, and he did not like it at all. He seems more active in his new cage. However, when I went to go attatch the wood platform, it was not very sturdy. You know, the little tiny platform, not the one that is just sitting on the wire. The small on that you need to tighten on. It seemed very wobbly. I put my hand on it, and it seems to bend easily, obviously not strong enough to hold a hamster. But, I see everyone else's hamsters on it fine. Am i doing something wrong?

Wheels:
- For the wheels, since the above mentioned problem happened, I am concerned that the wheel may not be able to hold well on the cage. Also, I bought him the Critter Bunch Fun Runner, and its a VERY silent wheel, but does not have the option for mounting on the wire cage. So, I have a question: Is the Silent Spinner extremely quiet? My step dad does not know I have a hamster, but my mom does, so when Teo is running on his wheel at night, it has to be quiet. I've heard good things about the Silent Spinner, and that they mount on cages. Do they mount on cages? Also, how quiet are they? Do they live up to their name? If I could get a silent spinner, he'd have so much more space in his natural living's cage! his poor wheel right now takes up so much space, I had to take out his loved ramp to keep it in there with enough living space around it. Please reply to this, by quoting then replying; or email me at [email protected] with the above questions answered if you pleaseeee. <3 it'd be very appriciated. :) This is my first hamster, and he is about 3 months old now. He's very happy, extremely social, very friendly, and very healthy. Not a thing wrong with him... just with me seeing as I can't find a good wheel!!
Thanks a bunch. <3

I have a comfort wheel :) It's made by the same manufacturers that make the silent spinner, but it's bigger for Syrians. Jojo loved hers. I have hers on the stand it comes in because she lives in an aquarium, but it can also attach to cage bars. It wobbles a little, but doesn't make a lot of noise. You'll probably want to shut your door if you get it though.

rockstar11p
04-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I might get this cage if my mom lets me get two dwarf hamsters. Is there anything else I should know about it?

Hamtastic
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Hm, not really... It's a fairly simple cage--you'd probably end up getting your own toys for it. You don't have to put the shelf in--can get separate tall climbing walls and what not; or else you can use different ramp instead of the default one (bird ladders?) If you can attach your wheel to the cage bars, it will save some space (since stands usually stand a bit away from the walls).

Gizmodo ^_^
04-06-2011, 01:52 PM
This really is a lovely cage :), very natural looking

SammytheSyrian
04-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Sorry for bumping this. But nice review.
I saw it on petsmart.
Because somebody said it was the best cage in America.
Thanks.

mary ellen
05-28-2011, 10:11 PM
I saw this cage today at PetSmart and hurried home to read the reviews on it before getting it. After reading this post and the replies, I'm going back to buy this cage tomorrow. I was going to make a bin cage, but decided this cage will be perfect for my hammy and a lot less work. I love the wooden toys you have in your cage. If I was going to buy only one toy, which one would you recommend? Which out of the two, do your hamsters like the best? I like the see saw and the playground. I noticed you have the playground and wondered why you didn't use the 2 ramps that comes with it. Did the ramps make it too high or unstable? I'm looking forward to your reply since I want to order one as soon as possible. Thanks for all the great pictures of the cage and all the detailed information.

Hamtastic
05-29-2011, 05:49 PM
I assume you mean the Hagen wooden toys? I bought them from an on-line seller (BigAppleHerp). They are mostly good for robos, as even my winter white (who's on a tad larger side) fits in them just so. The wooden legs are attached--they are just partially buried in the bedding and my robos do use both all the time when running around their current cage. I think you have a syrian hamster -- these toys are too small for a syrian to fit through, unless it's a baby.

There are some other toys you can go with instead that are a larger size, but I'm not really sure which as I haven't done enough research on toys suitable for syrian hamsters in the U.S.

However, you could try making your own toys out of one or more Super Pet Puzzle Playground set. They could be okay for a smaller syrian.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/hamster-chat/16190-puzzle-playground.html
(Some examples in this thread).
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754668

P.S.: you could try a hammock like one of these:
http://www.petco.com/product/103974/PETCO-Nylon-And--Plush-Hammock-For-Ferrets.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductList_Small%20Animal_2-_-PETCO%20Nylon%20%26%20%20Plush%20Hammock%20For%20F errets-103974

Wooden log bridge : used for chewing, running on, or placing sideway for separation:
http://www.petco.com/product/112329/Super-Pet-Tropical-Fiddle-Sticks-Small-Animal-Chew-And-Hideaway.aspx?CoreCat=MM_SmallAnimalSupplies_Sleep ersHideouts

mary ellen
05-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the information on your wood toys. I was afraid they might be too small for my syrian to fit through. I love the colorful Wooden Log Bridge that you suggested getting. I hope PetCo has it in stock. I'll let you know how Furby likes her new roomy cage and toys.

Mikayla
06-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Sorry for bumpiing this... Again. But did your robo's ever escape the bars? Do you know what the bars are? Also, do you think that this cage is okay? Grreat Choice&#153 Pet Home for Small Animals - Cages, Habitats & Hutches - Small Pet - PetSmart (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4471004&keepsr=0) It's only about an inch smaller each way.

Hamtastic
06-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Mine never did, but they also almost never went up to the second floor (and I took out the shelf). I also kept the bedding low enough that they would just miss the bars if they tried. I think the spacing was 1cm or 1.1cm. I no longer have this cage, so I can't measure, but I think that was it.

I think for robos, I'd go with a Sterilite bin, if you're going with a cheap option. Depending on the height, you won't need to cover it at all. For example, 66 quart Latch Box bins are cheap and have larger floor plan than the WARE cage. Easier to clean, access, and see your hamster(s) too:
Sterilite - 1888: 66 Quart Latch Box (http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=78&view=0&picture=1&tab=Specifications&ProductCategory=180&section=1)
They come in clear transparent with various lid colors as well as pink, green, orange, blue, and purple transparent colors.
http://www.sterilite.com/ProductFiles/images/PD2_1888ST04.jpg

And there's this shape as well:
Sterilite - 1757: 66 Quart ClearVIew Latch™ Box (http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct.html?id=605&ProductCategory=252&section=1)
http://www.sterilite.com/productfiles/images/PD1_17571706.jpg

These are tall enough that you won't need to cover / mesh them, as long as you don't have any super tall toys right next to the edges. My robos are in a ZooZone and it's permanently open, since they can't ever reach the top (it's the same height as these bins).

I'd say the WARE cage is best for one Russian dwarf hamster or a young Syrian.

KawaiiRodents
08-07-2011, 11:35 PM
I have the Bigger Version of this. (2 selfs). my syrian goes up and down the ramps all night and climbs the bars. but my winter white stays on the first floor. love these cages :)

Toasty
10-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Is this cage really that great? I never leaned towards it 'cause I thought the ham's urine might soak into the wood and make it stink...

Hamtastic
10-19-2011, 04:25 PM
This could be great for a single dwarf hamster (non-roborovski). You could coat the wood with non-toxic plastic (like Plasti-Kote).

starrylight99
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
You also don't even need to use the wood pieces. My boys each have one, and neither of them have the ramp or shelf. There is still plenty of space and they are a wonderful cage.

Gibbs&JackBlack
10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for this review. I've been looking at cage ideas and had not come across this one. It looks great and is one of the few that is actually big enough.

Lady B
05-15-2012, 11:48 AM
It looks like this cage and the whole Ware Natural line is being discontinued. It's already getting hard to find, so check your local Petsmart ASAP if you want one!

Amanda_L
05-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Is this cage really that great? I never leaned towards it 'cause I thought the ham's urine might soak into the wood and make it stink...

I have the three-tier rat version of this cage for my Syrian and this is a problem I've run in to. She only uses the bathroom on the wood inside the nesting box at the top, and when I clean I scrub the wood off under there so it hasn't been smelling yet, but I've only had the cage for a couple months.

I'm hoping we don't run in to that problem.

The cages are great, in my opinion, though. Right now I'm just trying to get Yorda to chew on the wood instead of the bars... :neutral:

Lougarry
05-16-2012, 06:16 AM
You just have to waterproof the wood with Platikote, non toxic wax or watered down PVA gle. Then it is easily wiped down.

Amanda_L
05-16-2012, 06:25 AM
You just have to waterproof the wood with Platikote, non toxic wax or watered down PVA gle. Then it is easily wiped down.

I never thought of that! Great suggestion.

Lougarry
05-16-2012, 07:32 AM
I love how this virus is making my typing 20 times worse...

Johnnywalnuts
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I live in America and have never seen this cage! Where did you get it?!

Hamtastic
06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
It used to be sold at PetSmart, but seems to have been discontinued.

At this time, I'd recommend other cages (F.O.P. Gabia Tamburino for a dwarf or larger Marchioro cages for syrians), although those are all significantly more expensive. A large 110-quart Sterilite Bin is cheap and excellent as well.

edug8r97
05-29-2013, 09:47 AM
We have this cage and love it! It provides plenty of room for our Syrian. We have not had any problems with the ramp, ledge or other wooden parts being chewed! Further, the customer service at Ware is great! There is also an on-line store that sells replacement parts! We just order a new ledge and ramp bc Teacup, our hamster, loves to pee while running and the wood just got too stinky to clean properly!

Replacement parts can be ordered at critter-cages.com

Also, I saw that one poster asked where to buy this cage in the States...Our Petco has them & they are available on the Petco website.

J.Bosley
06-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Thinking of getting this cage! I'm an associate at Petsmart and get 30% off everything next weekend, and we currently have this cage in stock. Is there any other Petsmart cage that would be suitable for 2 Dwarfs?

Hamtastic
06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
I'm afraid this is a rather small cage for two dwarf hams. You would do much better with ~110 quart Sterilite bins and such. More room, easier cleaning, better visibility.

http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/cage-reviews/15871-sterilite-26-1-2-gallon-latch-box-plastic-bin-cage.html

(See both pages of that thread:))

I wish you lived close, as I have a meshed 110quart Sterilite bin in storage.