PDA

View Full Version : Mature hamster owner just arrived - well nipped

Pouchy
03-05-2007, 06:36 AM
Hello, everyone, thought I would make my presence known on the forum. My age is deleted but is on the wrong side of the big $0, have one male syrian hamster called Asbo Hamsa kept in a Pennine Rat starter cage with extra levels added to make use of the space and two male dwarf hamsters called Light and Shade kept in a Feberplast Astro 3 which has two extra levels to increase surface area. These two are into biting everything so have to wear gloves. On the plus side its easy to move them - just put your hand in the cage , they latch on with ther teeth and then they can be carried anywhere!

suga
03-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Welcome to HC. Your little hamsters sound like terrors :-P
How old are they, how long have you had them, do you have flicks of them. We looovee flicks here. Hope you enjoy your stay... :-)

Pouchy
03-05-2007, 11:38 AM
The Syrians is about 10 - 12 weeks old, the two dwarfs are 6 weeks old last weekend.
The syrian is a banded chocolate male , the male dwarfs are grey (light) and brindled browny colour (shade).
Its fun when they nip. I just push them over onto their backs so they look like they,ve just died with their legs in the air. they click rapidly to show their annoyance.

suga
03-05-2007, 11:44 AM
They all sound like delightful terrors :) The chocolate syrian sounds gorgeous.

SnuggleHam
03-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the community Pouchy, glad you have you with us! cant wait to see some hammy pics!

Holly
03-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Hi and welcome from me as well :)

Your hams sound like characters - are their cages the ones from Wilkinson's? I toyed with getting the Wilko's rat cage for Mocha at one point as I was impressed with the space it gave. (As it happens it's good I didn't as he turned into a manic bar chewer despite having 3 linked cages to himself :roll: ).

Pouchy
03-05-2007, 01:20 PM
The cages are on display at the Housing section of the forum. I got them both on ebay, the pennine rat starter cage was second hand while the Feberplast was new.

Widowmaker
03-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Hello and welcome!

Some dwarf hammies NEVER get out of the habit of biting.... my girls are more than happy to bite anyone and everything except me.. odd creatures. I have male friends who are terrified of them. See my profile for more! :lol:

And I'm heading rapidly towards 30 so don't be worried about being, er, slightly ancient :wink:

souffle
03-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the forum Pouchy. Your hamsters are all very young and with time, patience and regular handling I am sure they will tame up.

Hana
03-06-2007, 10:13 AM
hi welcome to the forum, I like your cages they look great. We do like pictures here :lol:

pophammy
03-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum! Good to have you with us! :D

Pouchy
03-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Here's a picture of Asbo the syrian

http://www.hamstercentral.com/profiles/Pouchy/3.jpg

Sorry about the quality. I have a fairly limited digital camera

pophammy
03-06-2007, 12:19 PM
He's gorgeous! I would say he is either a black or sable banded.

Pouchy
03-06-2007, 12:28 PM
He's the colour of milk chocolate so is probably sable as you say.Interesting how male hamsters seem larger in the wedding tackle department than in their head size. Suppose that's where their brains are! (I bet this gets deleted). :twisted:

sai12
03-06-2007, 04:57 PM
He's the colour of milk chocolate so is probably sable as you say.Interesting how male hamsters seem larger in the wedding tackle department than in their head size. Suppose that's where their brains are! (I bet this gets deleted). :twisted:

Hahahaha! All my friends used to comment on how big Sakana's balls were. They couldn't get over how such a small creature had such huge ones!! :oops:

Anyway, welcome to the community! Asbo is very cute! I wanted a hamster with that type of coloring, but they are harder to find it seems (at least where I am).

Pouchy
03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
He came from a very good local petshop as did my dwarves.

Pouchy
03-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Here is one of my dwarfs - Light, most obliging for a photo.

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/25581/362243.jpg

and another pic - what a poser!

http://www.filehigh.com/serve/25581/362244.jpg

I will post a photo of Shade, Light's cage mate as soon as possible

Bailey-Benji
03-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Welcome to Hamster Central, your hamsters are adorable!

If Asbo has cream eye rings, he is most likely a sable banded, however I cannot see any on the pic, but it could jsut be the pic :)

Widowmaker
03-07-2007, 01:49 PM
YAY!! for dwarfies!!! :D

They're adorable.

babyboos
03-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Welcome to you and be assured there are more adults than kids on this forum. Hopefully with time and patience your guys will become more friendly and not deny you the pleasure of a good hand to hand exercise regime.

souffle
03-07-2007, 02:31 PM
I would say sable banded too. They are all lovely. In the summer their 'pom poms' become even larger as they drop down in the warmth!!!! :shock: We call them Bananacles then :lol:

Jill Bayles
03-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Hi to you from me...this thread makes for interesting reading :wink: :lol:

SnuggleHam
03-08-2007, 05:11 AM
Cute pictures, thanks for sharing! :)

Pouchy
03-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Talking of all things pompom and bananacles I wondered, using hamster sizes then multiplying them up what size would the human variant have to be. Those of you with a nervous disposition look away now.

Asbo measures 6 inches
His pompoms measure about 1 inch, possibly a bit more.
I am about 5 feet 6 inches
(the numbers are only approx to make the maths easier)
So we need to know how many lots of 6 inches there are in my 5 feet 6 inches.
There are, in fact, 11
So by simple multiplication of Asbo's pompoms by 11 we get the number 11.

Thus using hamsters as a comparison my accoutrements should be 11 inches in length!

Now I feel that my damsons are pretty inadequate compared to my hamsters. Yet another addition to the growing list of male insecurities.

On the plus side what would all men look like walking down the high street if this were true.....

Pouchy
03-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Sorry Asbo does not have cream eye rings so he can't be a sable.

babyboos
03-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Does he have lighter hair at all around his eyes? I call them baked beans incidently

Basia
03-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Welcome. Your hamsters look really cute. :)

Pouchy
03-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Thank you all for the wonderful wlcome. :D :D