PDA

View Full Version : Lymm - First Time Show Questions??

Holly
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm planning on attending the Lymm Show a week on Sunday and bringing our three for the pet class (probably all three) and racing (Treacle and Custard). It's quite a long way for us (an hour and three quarter drive) so I'm planning on making a day of it and staying for most of the day. I particularly want to be there for the Syrian judging (which I believe is 11.30 am).

As it's my first show and I want to do my best for our hammies (who've never travelled before) I have a few questions:

1) Cages - for those who know my cage set up will Treacle and Custard be ok in their Rotastak Pod thingies with familliar bedding inside them? I can't bring them in their large wire cages as they are just too big (I have to get myself, two boys and three cages in the car). The only thing is that they will have no wheels as theirs won't fit in height-wise. Mocha will travel in his Lux.

2) Pet class - I realise they can be shown in their own cages but does it matter what bedding they are on? Or what food is in their cages? I know there are strict rules for the main class but ours aren't on shavings - will I have to change the whole cage bedding for the day? What about water - can they have their own water bottles? Can we attend to them during the show or aren't we allowed near them once they are in?

3) Racing - do I need anything specific for this? What time is the racing?

4) Refreshments (human) - is there anything available there or is it strictly packed lunch and flasks?

Finally, I'm really looking forward to the show - meeting everyone, seeing what goes on and learning as much as possible from the day. One thing worries me - will my hammies be ok? It won't be too stressful for them? I'm just worried that I'm not thinking about them first and foremost, if you know what I mean - they are just pet shop hammies who aren't used to all this - though they are very tame and friendly and seem to be very healthy so far.

Many thanks for any information and advice :)

pophammy
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
1) Cages - for those who know my cage set up will Treacle and Custard be ok in their Rotastak Pod thingies with familliar bedding inside them? I can't bring them in their large wire cages as they are just too big (I have to get myself, two boys and three cages in the car). The only thing is that they will have no wheels as theirs won't fit in height-wise. Mocha will travel in his Lux.

2) Pet class - I realise they can be shown in their own cages but does it matter what bedding they are on? Or what food is in their cages? I know there are strict rules for the main class but ours aren't on shavings - will I have to change the whole cage bedding for the day? What about water - can they have their own water bottles? Can we attend to them during the show or aren't we allowed near them once they are in?

3) Racing - do I need anything specific for this? What time is the racing?

4) Refreshments (human) - is there anything available there or is it strictly packed lunch and flasks?

Firstly, I'm sure that your rotostak pods will be OK to bring the hams in. They are nocturnal and sleep during the day so I'm sure that they won't miss having their wheels for one day much.

Secondly, you can bring the hamster along on whatever you like! Neither bed nor food matter. Some people even just pop in with a hamster in a shoe box sometimes! You are definitely allowed water bottles in pets, and you may attend to them whenever you like, except when the judge is judging the pet class.

Thirdly, all you need for racing is a hamster! It normally takes place after lunch, at a similar time to the pet class (but seperate).

Lastly, lunch is normally available and drinks are available too. You don't have to bring your own food, but we normally bring some snacks and a drink with us!

Also, with the judging, you won't be able to get up close to see what the judges are doing. You will be able to see the hamsters lined up on the benches, but the judges will be behind the benches. You can see them from a distance, but not up close. :wink:

Holly
03-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Pophammy, that's really helpful :)

Thirdly, all you need for racing is a hamster! It normally takes place after lunch, at a similar time to the pet class (but seperate).

So will it be ok to have the same hammy in the pet class and the racing or will they clash? (Sorry if I'm being thick!).

Also, with the judging, you won't be able to get up close to see what the judges are doing. You will be able to see the hamsters lined up on the benches, but the judges will be behind the benches. You can see them from a distance, but not up close. :wink:

Eek! I was hoping to get a good look at all the hamsters so that I can try and learn what all the Standard colours look like and what makes a good show hamster. Are there any opportunities for getting near to the hamsters when they aren't being judged?

souffle
03-02-2007, 12:39 PM
You can enter the same hamster in both classes as they are not done at the same time however for the racing it is done in heats. Two hammies are drawn to race each other and the winner goes through to the next round. Each hamster needs a handler so as long as there are two of you it would not matter if your hamsters were drawn to race each other.
As Pophammy said the judging is done behind a ring of tables to ensure anonimity. The hamsters are on the judging bench so you can look at them while they are in their pens. There are usually plenty people around happy to tell you colours and after judging is finished you are able to ask the judge any questions. A lot depends on the feel of the animal and coat texture etc so you would not be able to do this but we will be happy to show you ours that are not entered. The best way to get experience is to volunteer, after a few shows to be the book steward. You sit with the judge and write down scores and you learn loads this way.
There are usually plenty rolls and toasties etc for sale or you can bring snacks. Lymm is a nice village but not much is open on a Sunday. Kids do get bored so bring something for them to do.
You can bring your hams in anything you want as long as it is comfy and has food and water. A water bottle is not needed if you give them a large chunk of cucumber while they are away as it provides plenty fluid. It is best for the judge if they can get the hams out easily. Ours travel in the plastic boxes from the pound shop that are about 14in square. We have drilled plenty air holes in the lids and the lids clip on securley. Some have the little pet carriers.
Dont get worked up about it. It is fun. fun fun. See you there :lol:

Holly
03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
You can enter the same hamster in both classes as they are not done at the same time however for the racing it is done in heats. Two hammies are drawn to race each other and the winner goes through to the next round. Each hamster needs a handler so as long as there are two of you it would not matter if your hamsters were drawn to race each other.

That's great - I've two nearly ten year old helpers so we'll be ok. Will and his friend are very excited about the racing - they are, as most boys are, very competitive, so I must have a word with them beforehand - poor old Treaks and Cuss are going to be a bit overwhelmed methinks - so they may not perform as well as at home!!!

As Pophammy said the judging is done behind a ring of tables to ensure anonimity. The hamsters are on the judging bench so you can look at them while they are in their pens. There are usually plenty people around happy to tell you colours and after judging is finished you are able to ask the judge any questions. A lot depends on the feel of the animal and coat texture etc so you would not be able to do this but we will be happy to show you ours that are not entered. The best way to get experience is to volunteer, after a few shows to be the book steward. You sit with the judge and write down scores and you learn loads this way.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to meeting your hammies - and you as well of course :P

Book stewarding sounds like an intereting (if busy) way of learning more, I shall definitely try and volunteer for that in the future when I know more.

It is best for the judge if they can get the hams out easily. Ours travel in the plastic boxes from the pound shop that are about 14in square. We have drilled plenty air holes in the lids and the lids clip on securley. Some have the little pet carriers.

We do have the little Rotastak carriers that came with our original cages - they'd certainly be easier to get them out of but I'm worried they might be a little small to keep them in all day - what do you think?

Dont get worked up about it. It is fun. fun fun. See you there :lol:

I probably sound dead stressy about it all - I'm not, I'm really looking forward to it but just want to be organised on the day and know what I'm doing as we'll have to set off fairly early. I'm not the world's most organised person on days out and more than once have had to come back for something I've forgotten!

Anyway the hammies are awake so I'm off to do some training with them :wink:

pophammy
03-02-2007, 01:05 PM
We do have the little Rotastak carriers that came with our original cages - they'd certainly be easier to get them out of but I'm worried they might be a little small to keep them in all day - what do you think?

How big are the carriers? I have seen some rotastak ones before and they are very small so I am not sure if yours would be suitable. I'm sure your normal cages would do just fine.

Holly
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
How big are the carriers? I have seen some rotastak ones before and they are very small so I am not sure if yours would be suitable. I'm sure your normal cages would do just fine.

They are really small - I think only really ok for bringing young hammies home or short trips to the vets . I think we'll stick with the pod's and Mocha's Lux.

Thanks you two for all your help :)

babyboos
03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
If possible I would take the proper cages as if it the small rectangular Rotostak carry cages you are referring to, they are even smaller than a show pen, and not ideal for a full day.

Holly
03-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, we're back - we had a brilliant day (though we are absolutely shattered now we've fed and watered the hams and then ourselves). We met Souffle, Pophammy, Jill and Aiden - plus some of the folks from another hammy forum we frequent 8)

Rather excitingly Custard got a 3rd (along with several others - I think they call it 'highly commended') in the pet class - as well as learning that he's not a Red Eyed Cream at all - he's actually a mink!! (I'm still quite confused as to what Mocha is as there were a few differences of opinion from the experts).

Also absolutely amazingly.... Treacle won the racing :shock: :shock:

I've learnt tons (mostly due to Souffle 8) )...including what NOT to transport your hammies in - Pound Shop here we come!!!! I'm too tired to post any pictures tonight but I will do tomorrow......oh - almost forgot :wink: ....our two new arrivals seem to be settling in ok! They are fast movers and we haven't got them out yet as we are letting them settle until at least tomorrow evening - but they are entertaining us already with their antics :P

I'm not meaning to be cryptic - well perhaps a little - I'm just too tired to explain anymore :P ....but it's been a really great day and we are definitely looking forward to the next one!

Jill Bayles
03-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Nice to meet you three plus hamsters...and congratulations on your success.

We thoroughly enjoyed the show...it was a lot different to Harrogate Show but both were great shows and we'll certainly be attending more...including Brockholes next month. I've just checked the schedule and see that there is more hamster racing...marvellous :!: :wink:

I didn't take many pics and I'm no David Bailey but if the ones I took are much cop then I'll post them up tomorrow.

We got home at about 8pm as we stopped at MaccyDees on the way back...unhealthy I know but try telling that to kids :roll:

I've just called it a day after sorting out Hammy, the car, the cage and the cool bag...and of course Aidan and his bedtime routine...Hammy has hit the kipsack...I think he's pooped after his busy day :!:

And now I'm off to bed as I've got a busy day ahead of me and I need a good sleep to function properly otherwise I won't get through all my chores...domesticity and paperwork...oh no :roll: :arrow: I should have done all that on Friday but I had visitors and unexpected chatty-type phone calls which distracted me somewhat...then Aidan's cousin Ryan came to stay and so I had both boys to entertain. However we've had a lovely weekend and that's a bonus. Also the world hasn't ended simply cos I didn't adhere to my routine, which I'm a stickler for...I don't so spur of the moment stuff very well :(

The "Hammy Photoshoot" that I had planned for last Saturday evening also fell by the wayside as the boys kept me otherwise engaged but we're going to give that a go another night this week...I just hope I manage to get some good shots :wink: :lol:

Night night all x

babyboos
03-12-2007, 03:08 PM
sounds like it was a great day guys
hope you get a chance to rest and recuperate and post some pictures soon