PDA

View Full Version : Bin cage extension?

Goliath
03-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Alright, so I was thinking of making an extension bin for my sweet Goliath.
How would be the best way to connect the two? I'd rather not put holes in the bottom, to connect them that way.
He doesn't chew the sides of the cage, so I'm not really worried about that much, I just wondered what you guys thought was a good way to go about doing this short of buying a bunch of tubes. :)

Gillzy
03-14-2011, 08:05 AM
Are you adverse to put holes in it at all? Or just the sides? Because I put a hole in the roof (http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/14272-plastic-bin-cage-roof.html#post169908) and have actually found it's still quite easy to bend the lid to get easy access to Sen (even though I was worried about it being difficult to access).

Goliath
03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
Well okay. So here's... hold on, in a couple minutes I'll make a paint document of what it looks like. :)

Goliath
03-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Here's a badly drawn picture of his cage now. :rolleyes:

Gillzy
03-14-2011, 08:30 AM
You could always just remove the bars on one side, and make a bridge between the two bins... if you are going to have the two bins side by side anyway.

Goliath
03-14-2011, 08:32 AM
Haha. I wish. I don't have enough space to go with the side by side. But thank you, Gillzy for the feedback. I'm thinking I'll just have to get more tubes from the pet store and connect it like...
= (box)
( (tube)
= (box)
Get it????

Goliath
03-14-2011, 08:33 AM
tube goes on the side, so they're on top of each other.

Gillzy
03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Oh, I don't think I understood when you said "bottom" (I was thinking just the general bin minus the lid) but you mean, you don't want to go through the lid and then through the base of the bin. I don't see why tubes on the side wouldn't be fine. Like what alexarcano did: http://www.hamstercentral.com/community/diy-do-yourself-hamster-projects/13526-hammie-paper-mache-tutorial-3.html#post163626, except you could use store bought tubes instead of papermache :)

alexarcano
03-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Yeeha. I got a mention! ;)
The advantage in connecting the way I did is if you put the hole in the upper bin towards the back and the lower one to the front it acts a bit like a big hinge and you can open the bottom cage enough to get access without disconnecting the tube. Also I think it's much easier for the hamster to use a gentle incline rather than a completely straight up and down tube. Buster likes to run up and down his. :D
Oh, the paper mache/wire tube is still there and still working with no escapes. It's not glued in or anything so that I can remove it for cleaning, its just.. Uh.. Friction fitted I guess is the word. The wire in the tube makes it a little flexable so I squish it in a bit to make it a snug fit.

Goliath
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I will definitely try and do something. I have to get a bin with a lid first. >.< And really I have to get him a new wheel...

Goliath
03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
But I definitely will make sure to twist it a bit so he's not strugling too much with it (tiny little thing he is) if and when I do this project.
Oh, and before I forget, anyone have suggestions for a bin without a lid??? O.o they sell them really cheap at GoodWill but mostly without tops.

Gillzy
03-14-2011, 12:30 PM
As long as it's tall, you can have no lid on it. Oh and also, as long as there is nothing that can get in at him in your house. :)

Goliath
03-15-2011, 09:00 AM
The dogs aren't allowed upstairs, so that's not a problem at all, besides, it'd be up on a nightstand thing. :)

Gillzy
03-15-2011, 09:10 AM
Just make sure you don't put any tall toys in that might let him escape :P But I'm sure you knew that ^_^

Goliath
03-15-2011, 09:11 AM
But of course. :) Besides, he's not the escape artist type. Remember the post where I left his door open and he didn't bother? Very funny. Anyway, go find my post of pics of Goliath! :P