PDA

View Full Version : Kinked Tail?

Holly
02-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Does anyone please have a picture of what this looks like?

I have read about it being a common fault in Dark-Greys and that hamsters with this fault shouldn't be bred from as it will result in spinal deformities. Is it only Dark-Greys that have it or can Silver-Greys and Light-Grey's also have it? (From my reading/understanding so far the genes to get these three colours are totally different so I'm thinking no - but could be totally wrong!).

The books I have only touch on the subject - can anyone point me in the right direction for more information and, if possible, pictures?

Many thanks :)

babyboos
02-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Hamster tails are so short it really is very difficult to picture the kinked tail, and often you can only feel it as an irregular bump in their tiny tail stump. I have seen some curl up so much if they had been longer they would have curled up the hamster's back, and others you only felt the slightest bend in the tail as if it had been broken maybe as a youngster - this is a really difficult situation as young hamsters can damage their tails but you can't be absolutely certain it is a potential spinal defect which is causing the kink, rather than an accident in childhood.
Hamsters carrying the gene / related to a hamster with this deformity can also have it, and they need not necessarily be Dark Grey in colouration so you must be careful and feel the tail gently and firmly to ensure it is nice and straight. Especially when buying a pet store hamster where pedigree is unknown.

Basia
02-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Is it harmful for the hamster? If it is just a pet would it matter? I've noticed Sybil curls her tail up a lot more than Basil and holds it to the side.

souffle
02-26-2007, 04:41 AM
It does not seem to harm the hamster if it is just a simple kink in the tail and not a major deformity. In showing, a hamster with a kinky tail will be disqualified but as a pet it does not harm them. Just because Sybil curls her tail will not mean it is kinked. Some seem to have rather flexy tails :lol: A kinky tail is not really visible when looking you can just feel it when you run your fingers down the tail like a little bump in the bones. It does feel like a healed break and can be confusing sometimes. Hamsters can break their tails easily and seem none the worse for it in most cases. It can come up in any colour and a good breeder would not breed through a kinked tail line.

babyboos
02-26-2007, 02:24 PM
A true kinked tail is potentially very harmful to a hamster which is why any decent breeder should not perpetuate a line where this turns up. The effects are usually exacerbated in their offspring too. It is a indicator of spinal defects, and can cause some pretty horrible things thankfully the only time I have had any personal experience was with little Runty who was an amazing hamster but we were lucky he had just a twisted spine but still control of his major bodily functions.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/babyboos/HPIM0484.jpg

Holly
02-26-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, I was going to say I wish I could see a hammy with a kinked tail so I know what they are like - but obviously I don't as it's potentially very unpleasant for the hamster in question. :(

Just because Sybil curls her tail will not mean it is kinked. Some seem to have rather flexy tails :lol: A kinky tail is not really visible when looking you can just feel it when you run your fingers down the tail like a little bump in the bones. It does feel like a healed break and can be confusing sometimes.

I've also been thinking the same about Mocha since reading about kinked tails - his does seem to curl a little too. However it feels straight when I run my fingers down it so hopefully it's not actually kinked. Tonight I've looked closely at Treacle and Custard's tails as well - there are times when they seem to curl them also so I think it's just my imagination with Mocha :roll:

Babyboos, Runty looks really cute, bless him - was he yours?

babyboos
02-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah he never grew any bigger then the size he was in this photograph where he was only a very young man a few weeks old. Very affectionate and always fighting to do the things normal hamsters do, sadly he wasn't able to wheel due to dragging his bag foot around. Lots of hamster curl their tails without them being kinked so don't worry if you can't feel anything when you run your fingers down the length of the tail that is the main thing.

souffle
02-27-2007, 05:14 AM
Is little Runty still with us Babyboos? I remember him. He was such a little fighter.

babyboos
02-27-2007, 06:48 AM
Yeah still with us, well not us exactly, but friends in
Edinburgh who adopted him. He is a very happy man - well pampered - and still the same size as you see him in these pictures.

souffle
02-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Great to hear that. These little ones seem to get their rewards in a long life. My Runty was over 3 years when he passed away and he led a long and happy life despite his deformity.

Holly
02-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Yeah still with us, well not us exactly, but friends in Edinburgh who adopted him. He is a very happy man - well pampered - and still the same size as you see him in these pictures.

Oh that's great news, I'm so glad he's got a lovely home and is living a happy life, I'll bet he's such a sweety!

babyboos
03-03-2007, 07:20 PM
He is actually quite fiesty and likes to get his own way :?

Basia
03-04-2007, 03:37 AM
Sounds like a runty one! I was naive enough to take on the runt of a toy poodle litter - she is 10 now and it has been quite an experience to living with her.