PDA

View Full Version : Megazorb going begging at Lymm

Holly
02-24-2007, 06:06 AM
I have an almost full bag of Megazorb (18kg) to give away to anyone who wants it at Lymm. Annoyingly I really don't like the smell so am using Carefresh mixed with Bob Martins - I know that lots of people do use it and I don't want to waste it so if anyone wants it I'll bring it with me - just let me know :)

souffle
02-24-2007, 06:38 AM
I would like to try a small bag if you could spare it Holly. I am sure you could sell it on as I am sure quite a few people use it. I will pay you for it at Lymm is you could bag up a supermarket bag for us :lol:
We use shavings with Carefresh in the wet corner.

Holly
02-24-2007, 08:37 AM
I would like to try a small bag if you could spare it Holly.

Of course, Souffle - but I'm quite happy to give you the whole bag (it only cost me 4.75 for the 18kg bag - not worth selling on really) but I understand if you don't want to take the whole bag as it's a bit bulky and you might not like it (though everyone except me seems to, so you probably will :wink: ).

I'll bring it and you can take what you want :)

souffle
02-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Thank you so much. We have never tried it as not sure where it get it round here. We will see what the hannies think! :lol: :lol:

Holly
02-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Funnily enough I did think of you and Pophammy when I first posted - I vaguley remember Pophammy posting somewhere that you'd never tried it as you weren't sure whether to get it from.

It's lovely and soft and in small clumps that the hammies can dig in - I don't know why I dislike the smell. Well, to me, it smells like horse manure :oops: ....which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I found it made me think the hammy cages were smelling :?

Still plenty of hammy experts swear by it so I'm sure you and yours will love it, Souffle :wink:

souffle
02-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Not if it smells like horse manure Holly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

babyboos
02-24-2007, 02:47 PM
I think it smells like vomit - sorry but it really is not very pleasant and I HAVE TO mix it or I just wouldn't be able to use it, but it is so soft it is great for under the platform bit in the Gabber for sleeping in, absolutely useless for a longahired hamster though as tangles so badly in their skirt.

Holly
02-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I think it smells like vomit

Well at least I'm not the only one who thinks it's smelly! All I'd heard before I bought it were rave reviews and I though there must be something wrong with me :?

I really tried to use it - I used it in all the cages for a week - but every day when I went to get the hamsters out the smell made me feel like they needed cleaning out and I couldn't wait to change it :( ..I got the feeling the smell was annoying the hammies as well but that was probably me just transferring my own feelings onto them!

Still everyone's different and a huge amount of people seem to like it so I hope you do Souffle!

Jill Bayles
02-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Aw shucks all this talk of bad smells and vomit is putting me off Megazorb...I don't have a problem with the smell...and here's me thinking that it's just the do-doos that smell...as soon as I clean the soiled parts and replace with fresh Megazorb the smell disappears.

The cage smells lovely and woody following a total clean.

Now I'm going to have to try something else when the bag gets almost empty :roll: :wink: :lol:

Jill Bayles
02-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Holly if Souffle doesn't want all of what you have left I'll take it off your hands...but only if you let me pay you for it :wink:

Hana
02-25-2007, 05:41 AM
I really like the smell of megazorb! :oops:

Holly
02-25-2007, 11:56 AM

Lucky you Hana - wish I did :P

Holly if Souffle doesn't want all of what you have left I'll take it off your hands...but only if you let me pay you for it :wink:

I'm happy to give you whatever Souffle doesn't want, Jill (but not if you try to pay for it :P ...it costs so little it just isn't worth it).

babyboos
02-25-2007, 03:18 PM
It is such a shame as it is very reasonable, but the smell is awful. I have tried emptying the large bags into storage bins to help air it out a bit. I find I use a lot more meadow grass in an attempt to also make the room smell like something else.

Jill Bayles
03-01-2007, 08:15 AM

Lucky you Hana - wish I did :P

I'm happy to give you whatever Souffle doesn't want, Jill (but not if you try to pay for it :P ...it costs so little it just isn't worth it).

I'll cut a deal...why not let Souffle and Pophammy have it all and if they don't like it I'll take what's left off their hands?

"Waste not want not" I say.

I still love Megazorb and I have to say that I too quite like the smell of it...maybe there's something drastically wrong with my sense of smell and that of Hana then eh :?: :lol:

souffle
03-01-2007, 09:38 AM
I dont think we can store a whole huge bag Jill so lets split it half in half and pay half each. Problem solved! :lol:

babyboos
03-03-2007, 07:07 PM
Just to reassure anyone interested in getting Megazorb the bag is as big as a black bin bag, so not massive but still takes up a lot of room in the cupboard. If you get it and don't like thankfully it is not too expensive depending where you get it, and you will generally get someone who will take it off your hands. I used to give small bags away at shows to help spread the word , and because interest was so high but it was quite difficult to obtain - I believe it is more widespread now and even available online.

Holly
03-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Just to say, Souffle and Jill, if you could bring a couple of large carrier bags with you that would be great. I've tried to save some but with three big cages to clean out I haven't managed it :?

See you both tomorrow :) (the Megazorb is safely in the car already as I had a feeling I'd forget it if I didn't do it tonight).

Jill Bayles
03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Can you believe I've only just seen this post so apologies for turning up at Lymm carrier bagless!

Pophammy, Souffle...any feedback on the Megazorb yet?

Apologies for my absence but I've been rather busy lately and Aidan has been hogging the pc as he's been playstation-less for a few weeks...it's in for repair but back tomorrow thank goodness!

souffle
03-29-2007, 12:35 AM
To be quite honest Jill we don't like the smell either. It smells a bit like sick to us so we have gone back to shavings. Would you like the bag we have?

Holly
03-29-2007, 03:02 AM
To be quite honest Jill we don't like the smell either. It smells a bit like sick to us so we have gone back to shavings.

Aha! At least I'm not the only one who hates it :wink:

One thing I have discovered is Bob Martins paper cat litter from Asda. It's totally odourless and comes in small clumps. It's not as soft as Carefresh so I mix the two.

souffle
03-29-2007, 07:12 AM
The Morrisons own make paper based cat litter is also a bit like carefresh and not whiffy. It is also quite cheap but we just use the shavings alone.

Jill Bayles
03-29-2007, 11:46 AM
To be quite honest Jill we don't like the smell either. It smells a bit like sick to us so we have gone back to shavings. Would you like the bag we have?

Yes please...I hate wasting anything...can't find Carefresh anywhere...I was wanting to try it out...am I best off ordering it online?

Re Megazorb...it seems like I'm in the minority but I'm still flying the flag for it at the mo...maybe I could be persuaded by other things though so I'm going to try some...well they do say that variety is the spice of life don't they :?: :lol:

souffle
03-29-2007, 12:03 PM
If you like megazorb and so does Hammy I'd stick with it. Carefresh would be very expensive to fill a Gabbar rex anyway :? It is also a lot less soft than megazorb. We only put it in the wet corner as it is easy to clean out for a spot clean. I am sure they sell it in P@H.

Jill Bayles
03-29-2007, 12:10 PM
If you like megazorb and so does Hammy I'd stick with it. Carefresh would be very expensive to fill a Gabbar rex anyway :? It is also a lot less soft than megazorb. We only put it in the wet corner as it is easy to clean out for a spot clean. I am sure they sell it in P@H.

That was my idea really...to mix Carefresh in with the Megazorb and use Carefresh in the wet corner to try and combat the odour.

I must be looking in the wrong place in P@H. I've looked where the bedding stuff is kept and also at the Cat Litter. I'll ask next time I'm in there. I've barred myself out of there for now as I was becoming broody over the rabbits. I've always wanted one ever since I was at Junior School and I thought that Aidan might have been persuaded when we were considering a pet, to no avail...it was hamsters all the way with him :lol:

OH BTW Hammy has taken to burrowing...well sort of...he's got a huge pile of megazorb that he's kinda built up around his sleep area and he snuggles down to sleep in a hollow and pulls the loo roll over the top of him. I thought that it was just my imagination at first so kept on smoothing it all out and putting the loo roll out on the top, but every time I had a root about in that area to clean it it was back to the huge mound of megazorb with the hollow so now I just leave him to it :lol: