PDA

View Full Version : cage idea help..

run34me
02-25-2011, 08:58 PM
i have been looking at some cages that people make out of shelves. do you just in close int front with a wooden frame with mesh in the center? and but a back on it?

do you have to seal it?
what do you put on the back?
whats the best wood for the back or the "book case"? anything even cheap stuff?
any help is good thanks!!

Nappo
02-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Hey,

i hope i can help you a bit ;D
1. "Do you just in close int front with a wooden frame with mesh in the center? and but a back on it?" This is one way you could do this,yup. The other is to put glasdoors in front and mesh-ventilation to the side.
2.You should only use coated shelves, because otherwise pee/mites could enter the wood!
3.To seal we use Aquarium-silicone
4.You can put MDF (4 mm) or coated chipboard on the back

KatiePillow
02-26-2011, 05:47 AM
I assume you're talking about an expedit style cage?

do you have to seal it? Yes, it's best to seal the wood with plastikote or similar (child safe and Pee-proof). As well as this all joins and cuts outs should be sealed with Aquarium silicone or similar.

what do you put on the back? I'd suggest MDF (a sturdy thickness) (again, sealed with plastikote or similar)

MDF possibly, although you need to be careful working with it as the saw dust is very bad for you, the wood doesn't REALLY matter, as long as it's sealed.

don't forget adequate ventilation, it's not as easy as it looks also, as you need to make sure that the door is escape proof, as well as open-able.
You'll also need to make sure that there is a bit of wood/perspex at the front of the shelf to stop the substrate (woodshavings etc) falling out when you open the door.
Hope this helps :)

wofunny
02-26-2011, 05:50 AM
do you just in close int front with a wooden frame with mesh in the center? and but a back on it? Thats the eisiest way to do it or you could put glass/perspex sliding doors on, but this requires more DIY knowledge.

do you have to seal it? Yes, its best to. I used Aquarium Silicone.
what do you put on the back? Thin MDF (B&Q cut it for you free)
any help is good thanks!!

I think that may help, i didnt understand some of the questions very well :)

Nappo
02-26-2011, 05:55 AM
Oh, and we use edgebander(dunno the right word) to seal the open borders and cutting areas! ;D

run34me
02-27-2011, 08:33 PM
with the silicone stuff is that just for the sides/corners or use it like paint for the whole wood...?

Nappo
02-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Only for the corners,sides,holes and other gaps ;D