PDA

View Full Version : What I did today!

Hana
02-12-2007, 10:21 AM
I just thought I would tell you guys what I did today! I went to Kington Maurward College for a taster day in Animal Care, it was great!
We got to learn and hold loads of animals from Snakes, Bearded Dragons and Blue tongued Skinks to Degus, Gerbils and HAMSTERS!!
I went there for the day just to try it out and if I like it (which I did!) then I can do the Animal Care Course next year as part of GCSE's.
I was really exited to go espeically when I heard the lady say the word Rodents! I think she was impressed when I asked to hold a hamster and then told my friends all about her colouring and breed! She said you certainly know alot about hamsters :lol: It was really good, and nice to hold a Syrian after having dwarfs for so long! :D

It was certainly better than spending a day in the classroom like my other classmates had to do! :P

suga
02-12-2007, 10:26 AM
How exciting! I hope you can do your course. Makes GCSE's so much more interesting. If only that had been around when I took my GCSE's - how different life could have been.

Keep us posted Hana on how it goes eh.

souffle
02-12-2007, 10:27 AM
That sounds fantastic Hana. Wish I could have done that sort of course though I did go on to study Zoology at Uni. Sounds like you are interested in a career in the animal line such as vet med or animal nurse or something like that? The course should help you get a college place when you come to apply and it is great to hear you know so much about hammies :lol:

Holly
02-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Sounds like a brilliant afternoon, Hana - and what a great way in to a world working with animals if that's what you want. 8)

I, too, have had an animal orientated afternoon as we've been to a farm park. All the animals were lovely - we got to stroke the ferrets after they'd done their race (in tubes a lot like hamster racing, I think).... and they had hamsters! They were all in Gabber Lux cages so I was able to speak knowledgeably about those but only one was awake when were there.

SnuggleHam
02-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Sounds like a fun time Hana! I love animals and I'm sure I would have loved that experience. My favorite channel is animal planet, particularly the shows about animals, behavior, care and vet practices. When I was young I wanted to be a vet, then I wanted to be a zoologist and then a horse massage therapist.

Unfortunately my math skills are pretty horrid lol, so I'm not sure I would be able to be a vet. :?

If my art carreer takes off I suppose I'd be content in just owning lots of different kinds of animals :P I do want to help animals in some way, that's why I hope to open my own hamster rescue organization in my home.. that is once I have the room and means to do so :oops:

babyboos
02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
Sounds fantastic I am sure you will love it and what a great opportunity

Jill Bayles
02-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Sounds like you both had great days!

I went to school way way back in time...during the 60s and 70s...and there was nothing like that then...the nearest I got to an animal at school was the school rabbit...brought him home once to look after for the weekend when I was in the Juniors :roll:

And ever since then I've wanted a rabbit but never had one...I tried to persuade Aidan to get a rabbit but he was having none of it...hammies all the way for him :!:

SnuggleHam you are truly an animal lover and committed to their care...big thumbs up :!:

Holly
02-13-2007, 12:06 AM
I think it's great that schools offer these kinds of options now, there was nothing like it for me either.

...the nearest I got to an animal at school was the school rabbit...brought him home once to look after for the weekend when I was in the Juniors :roll:

I did too - and he was an expert escape artist used to the free run of the science lab - he got very fond of one of my five rabbits and before I knew it we had eleven!!!

Hana
02-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Sounds like you are interested in a career in the animal line such as vet med or animal nurse or something like that?

Yeh I was thinking about veterinary nursing.

When we got back on the bus I had a girl come up to me and show me some pictures on her phone of her hamster, she wanted to know what breed it was! :lol:

It certainly would make GCSE's more fun and enjoyable! :D