PDA

View Full Version : is it best to have 1 or 2?

dan_parsons
02-19-2011, 04:58 AM
is it better to have 1 or 2 russian hamsters?

as i want 2. would it be better if i got robos?

charlotteandhoop
02-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Robos don't have the best track record when it comes to living in pairs Dan. A lot of the time they end up needing to be split up due to fighting and you need to consider whether you will be able to afford another cage if the time comes. I am unsure on russians :)

SnickersTheFirst
02-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Robos are the best hamsters for living in pairs, I've heard. They get very bored on their own. Russians are okay with each other but you really need to be prepared to buy another cage just in case, but that applies for any group of hamsters.

mangoandmimi
02-19-2011, 10:51 AM
personally, i would get 1 russian, or 2 robos :)
Just because i think russians do better on their own than robos... but of course you could get 2 russians :P i just wouldnt want to get 1 robo ;)

Christmas_hamster
02-19-2011, 11:08 AM
I've found that both species do really well in pairs. It depends on the individual hamsters of course but a good set up is also important in order to minimize fights and arguments.

I've only ever had to split one RC dwarf pair and that's because they were in a tiny tank, with one wheel, a tiny food dish and no beds. They had a lot of fight over and I was very new with dwarfs. Ever since then I make sure to have a large cage with continuous space (not a bunch of cages added together), a large food dish so they can sit in it together (or you could sprinkle the food around the cage), multiple beds/nests and lots of toys & things to do. It's working for my robos now, it's worked for my past pairs of RC dwarfs and it seems to work for most other people too. ;)

dan_parsons
02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
thanks all. ive decided on a Winter white. :)

charlotteandhoop
02-19-2011, 04:20 PM
Your past experience with robos is obviously a lot better than most peoples. The majority of hamster owners I know who have had same sex robos pairs have ended up splitting them, it comes down too when you feel the time is right, personally at the first sign of blood or injury I split them up as I won't take any chances. Robos do just fine alone as long as they are provided with plenty of enrichment, my girls both reached perfect weight after being split from one another.

operationotohamstry
02-21-2011, 08:33 AM
I think a lot of the issue with pairs at least with Russians is lack of adequate cage sizing. I see a lot of people getting 2 males or females in an 11"x8" cage and that just wont do! Its a small space for 2 hamsters and they need enough room to be able to be by themselves if they want. Not to mention sometimes they can get territorial and protective of an area and its hard for hamsters to escape each other in small spaces. Sure they are colonizing hamsters and will do well in a group (I have a mom and a couple of her babies in a 20 gallon tank and have had no issues with fighting) they have to have adequate living conditions. But when separated or living alone the only thing I've noticed is that occasionally the now single hamster will become protective of his new home and get territorial and nip if you go into his cage. I've never had it happen with me thankfully, but it happens at the shop a lot. Kinda the whole 'woah this is all mine!?...stay away!' haha.

essentiallysue
04-23-2011, 03:50 PM
I agree with the cage size. My two dwarf girls have loads of space with two large bin cages, connected with a tunnel so they can go to both cages. The cages are well equiped with 3 wheels, four little houses, three small sand dishes (for loo), and several dishes of different kinds of food. They have been together ever since I got them. They are both black with white markings.. I named them after Halle Berry and Mariah Carey.

Hamtastic
04-23-2011, 04:37 PM
You will love your winter white :) They are wonderful. Robos have a very different dynamic to them. They are extremely amusing and endrearing to watch, but chances are, you won't have them very tame or interactive--they are mostly busy doing their own thing. My solitary dwarf is a lot more interested in what goes on around her and is more like a cat in that respect -- likes to be on her own but won't mind to hang out on her terms.