PDA

View Full Version : Modelling clay?

amyXlovesXhamstersX
02-11-2011, 09:49 AM
I would love to make lots of more natural looking things for Ruys cage but i'm terrible with wood, almost sawed my finger off in tech! Can you use modelling clay or plastercine, I'm actually ok with that, and made a few models before with plastercine and one with clay and theyve all turned out ok :) Is it safe? And what would be the best, non-toxic type of clay/plastercine? Thanks :p

wofunny
02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Plastacine would not be safe. Some clays are safe, lots of people in Germany make stuff out of clay for their hams, Maybe ask member Nappo?

amyXlovesXhamstersX
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks, was thinking plastercine wouldnt be safe because it stays soft and all the colours and stuff... Will ask nappo :p

alexarcano
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Well, colour is for your benefit not Hammies, but i would suggest airdry modelling clay thats kid safe or maybe even salt dough this you can use water based kiddie paint to colour afterwards or even through the dough (you know, stuff home made from flour, salt and water).

amyXlovesXhamstersX
02-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I PM'd nappo and he said it was ok, just to use child-safe clay :P I cant find any though, looked on loads of websites... >,<

alexarcano
02-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Why dont you try to make salt dough yourself? If you want to speed up and harden it you can pop it in the oven if you like. Its easy to do, non-toxic, I use it with my kids. It's cheap and easy to work with, paintable when dry (or you can mix it into the dough when you are making it) and does not go 'off'. Oh btw despite the name its not designed to be eaten, but it is safe (if disgusting) to do so.
Here's a link to the 'recipie'.

Salt Dough. Recipe. Craft. (http://www.ancientnile.co.uk/saltdough.php)

amyXlovesXhamstersX
02-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks again, Im a bit impatient so im going to hopefully make some dough tonight! Im using the same recipe as salt dough but missing out the salt because i think it would be quite harmful if eaten... even just a tiny nibble!

alexarcano
02-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Umm..
It does not work without the salt.
Mineral wheels are mostly... salt, so i dont think it will be a problem. The one Buster has is about 95% salt.
If you miss out the salt it will not set right (it will be like a heavy paste essentially), and it will probably turn mouldy like bread. The salt is essential to make it cure.
The salt dough will cure hard enough (with the added lemon juice) to make it more or less eating proof, and if you are in doubt you can plasticoat it (you can get it in clear almost like spray on a varnish) to make it waterproof and nibble resistant.

amyXlovesXhamstersX
02-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Ok will try it with salt... Dont know if we have any of the normal stuff though because we have a salt grinder... And lemon juice? We dont have any lemons, will it work without it? :)

Nappo
02-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh I'm not sure if salt...clay is so good. Don't you avoid salt-licking-stones in the uk too? I rembered to read it somewhere. I think a house of these salt dough would have the same effect when its aten- overdosage,bladder stones..,sadly some hamsters from people i know died from that..

alexarcano
02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Ah. Didnt know about that. Salt wheels and mineral wheels are common here as far as i know. But if its plasticoated it should be no problem as the salt will be sealed in. However if in doubt, just use something else.

amyXlovesXhamstersX
02-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks for that nappo but ive just gone to my kitchen and realised... theres hardly any flour! Measured it and theres about 1/2 a cup >,< will need to wait until later or tomorrow... And for the salt, would it be safe by using half the amount im meant to? Then it wouldnt be so much salt and it should still set ok? :)

Fidgetthefirst
02-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Salt wheel things are common here but most owners know to avoid them really :)

amyXlovesXhamstersX
02-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I have made it! Well, i did a while ago because my dad went to the shop and got flour :) I made something simmilar to a trixie corner house... its a bit boring but the dough is too soft to make anything proper! I used 2 cups flour, i tablespoon salt and about1- 1 1/2 cups water. Just waiting for it to dry now... have sat it beside my heater so im just hoping it will set ok and not crack! :p

wofunny
02-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Sounds good :D

Pictures would be nice when it's done ;) x

alexarcano
02-12-2011, 01:59 AM
The salt acts as a preservative so with so little it might not last more than a few days, but it will be interesting to know how it turns out. As wofunny says 'Pictures' :D

amyXlovesXhamstersX
02-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Ive just checked on it. I put it over a box to dry so it didnt collapse and its stuck to the box >.< I dont know what to do to it but there will be pictures if its not a big lump of dough! :p

alexarcano
02-13-2011, 01:42 AM
uhh.. you could try putting it in the oven on a low heat.. (maybe around 100C) it might help harden it.