PDA

View Full Version : Profiles - how's that decided..??

suga
02-04-2007, 11:33 AM
I was just reading from pophammy in another post about the profiles and that some had moved around. I was just wondering about the pages and whether your profile appears in the next available space when you create one or whether there is a method to there home?

I also noticed that HC is now on to page 3 with profiles, how much has the site grown from is date of creation?

Thanks

Smoo
02-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Hi Suga,

I'm not actually sure how the order of the profiles is being determined. I'm going to give that feature some attention in the near future both to fix bugs and to randomize the order that the profiles appear in so that everyone gets their turn at the top.

Hamster Central has grown very much. Perhaps SnuggleHam has a screenshot of the old site somewhere? It went from a small information site to an active, thriving community. SnuggleHam is really the one to give the credit to for coming up with the idea and nurturing the site into existence, but I've done my share of programming for the site and I'm proud of it as well.

SnuggleHam
02-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Hamster Central has grown very much. Perhaps SnuggleHam has a screenshot of the old site somewhere? It went from a small information site to an active, thriving community.

I managed to dig up these old screen shots of the old website. This is just one of the many ways HC looked before we updated with all these great features.

This first link shows a screen shot of our old classified ads page. You can kind of get a sense for how the site looked from it.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/classad_lg.jpg

This next link shows a small screen shot of the old forum.
http://www.hamstercentral.com/images/myhammies/forummod.jpg

We have come a long way :shock:

souffle
02-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Awwww I remember those screens. Known and loved :lol: :lol: I looked at the member list too. Goodness me so many members and I seem to recall them too. Where have they all gone. I feel old now but it is nice to have all these new friends as well as the old isn't it.

SnuggleHam
02-07-2007, 09:05 AM
I looked at the member list too. Goodness me so many members and I seem to recall them too. Where have they all gone. I feel old now but it is nice to have all these new friends as well as the old isn't it.

I've been spending some time going through the member list and deleting all the spam accounts as well as any users who have never posted. I think many of them join just to have a few questions answered and then we never hear from them again :? There are a few users I miss seeing around the forum. Emma, carefresh, Coco, Flogging Molly just to name a few who I remember as being active. But well, life can sometimes take us in new directions thats for sure!

I am very happy for all our new active friends though. The community keeps growing and that makes me a very happy web mommy!

Hana
02-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Wow! Is that what it used to look like before I came along! Its changed quite a lot :D

Smoo
02-07-2007, 01:02 PM
I like to think that the site is a bit improved now :D

souffle
02-12-2007, 04:55 AM
Do the profiles move around in that section Smoo? Pophammy is puzzled as she is always at the end and has been an active member for longer than most :? :? :?

Smoo
02-12-2007, 05:19 PM
That's one of the things that I plan to address soon. My goal is to have them show in random order, with people who've chosen avatars and uploaded pictures showing first. That will take a tricky bit of programming, so I've been saving it for later, but that's the plan! :D

Do you have a suggestion on how you think they should appear?

souffle
02-13-2007, 04:35 AM
I think it would be nice if the most active members were at the front. That would keep the regulars and the new people at the beginning which would be easy for looking up. But you do what you can manage Smoo and don't let it bother you how they appear. :lol: